Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

2020 Emmy Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +15 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
  • Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Stranger Things is for sure on the outside of the Drama Series top 7, but why would it be below Pose? or Killing Eve for that matter?

Westworld missed WGA, DGA, and SAG for its last eligible season and that’s in 6th?

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s the best time of the year! I’m excited to see the limited races unfold because I’ve placed a lot of 100/1 bets right now and hoping at least some of them pull through.

I can understand why Sterling K. Brown is higher than Michael Zegen in the odds, but if voters are actually watching “Maisel,” are they really going to go for Brown over Zegen? Zegen plays an unlikable character, but he’s surely giving a more worthy performance.

Why is Sarah Snook still in Lead? They’re losing a surefire Supporting Actress nomination.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  moviefan617.
    methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Actors have never shown any love for Succession so why are people predicting multiple acting nominations for the show I don’t really see anyone happening outside of Cox.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s the best time of the year! I’m excited to see the limited races unfold because I’ve placed a lot of 100/1 bets right now and hoping at least some of them pull through. I can understand why Sterling K. Brown is higher than Michael Zegen in the odds, but if voters are actually watching “Maisel,” are they really going to go for Brown over Zegen? Zegen plays an unlikable character, but he’s surely giving a more worthy performance. Why is Sarah Snook still in Lead? They’re losing a surefire Supporting Actress nomination.

I wouldn’t say Zegen’s character is unlikable, he’s flawed. He became much more likable in the second season, and that characterization has mostly stuck in the third, although he did occasionally relapse. I think the real thing that hurts his chances is that Joel isn’t a showy role. I’m also predicting him (alongside Brown and of course Shalhoub), but I understand why people are putting Brown in over him, as he’s a very Emmy friendly name, his role, despite being small, is showy, and he’s helped by the category being so wide open (which I think will help Zegen as well).

I think Comedy Supporting Actor is probably the easiest to predict in terms of whose winning, as Shalhoub looks like a very comfortable frontrunner right now.

Snow
    Participant
    Topics:

As does Rodriguez, Ross, LuPone & Peppermint, but neither of them unfortunately stand a chance of a nomination outside of LuPone & Peppermint in guest.

Unfortunately LuPone appeared in 5 of the 10 episodes this season, therefore she can’t be submitted in Guest. Which sucks,  she would be an amazing winner.

Octavia Spencer rules

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

They really proved last year when they love something they really go all in and nominate it across the board.

I am definitely anticipating a somewhat Fleabag-like breakout for Succession this year (not a perfect comparison, I know) – and, so, am currently picking Succession actors straight down the line. Snook, Cox, McFayden, Culkin, Strong – anyone else predicting all five right now?

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say Zegen’s character is unlikable, he’s flawed. He became much more likable in the second season, and that characterization has mostly stuck in the third, although he did occasionally relapse. I think the real thing that hurts his chances is that Joel isn’t a showy role. I’m also predicting him (alongside Brown and of course Shalhoub), but I understand why people are putting Brown in over him, as he’s a very Emmy friendly name, his role, despite being small, is showy, and he’s helped by the category being so wide open (which I think will help Zegen as well). I think Comedy Supporting Actor is probably the easiest to predict in terms of whose winning, as Shalhoub looks like a very comfortable frontrunner right now.

I definitely get that Brown is an actor’s favorite and can certainly understand the reasons you’ve listed above as to why he would get in. But I think Zegen has to be ahead of Brown at this point. Did Brown really make much of an impact? After his first episode, he didn’t really have much to do. If you’re gonna nominate a third “Maisel” actor, Leroy McClain is right there. I’m predicting Shalhoub and Zegen, but not Brown…not yet.

I agree that Comedy Supporting Actor is open. I’d love to see some inspired nominations. I’m currently predicting Shalhoub and Alan Arkin (probably the two surest bets), Dan Levy (as part of a “Schitt’s Creek” embrace), John Goodman (because he’s a legend + HBO can replace one of their lost “Barry” noms with something for “Righteous Gemstones” here), Zegen and Kenan Thompson (which…whatever).

They really proved last year when they love something they really go all in and nominate it across the board. I am definitely anticipating a somewhat Fleabag-like breakout for Succession this year (not a perfect comparison, I know) – and, so, am currently picking Succession actors straight down the line. Snook, Cox, McFayden, Culkin, Strong – anyone else predicting all five right now?

Lord knows they’re all deserving, but I’m only predicting Cox and Strong right now, and I’m only confident in Cox. Snook would have an easier time getting nominated in Supporting Actress. I suppose Macfadyen or Culkin could sneak in, but there is no “likelier” option, so I’m not predicting either at this point.

But there’s also part of me that recognizes the show is the current frontrunner for Drama Series. More widespread acting love feels like it would only make sense for a show so prominently leading the race. I know people point to the SAG snubs as proof that actors don’t like the show, but I honestly can’t figure that one out because this show has had buzz all year long. So either there is something to the SAG snubs or we should prepare for an onslaught of “Succession” love. Hard to say right now.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

They really proved last year when they love something they really go all in and nominate it across the board. I am definitely anticipating a somewhat Fleabag-like breakout for Succession this year (not a perfect comparison, I know) – and, so, am currently picking Succession actors straight down the line. Snook, Cox, McFayden, Culkin, Strong – anyone else predicting all five right now?

I can definitely see this happening, and I’m actually pretty close to predicting it. The only one of the main five not currently in my predictions is Macdafyen, but I can still imagine him making it. It’s important to realize with the prediction center, it doesn’t account for ties, and there’s always a few resulting in 7 or 8 nominees, so I could see him getting in like that.

In order of how likely I think their nominations are, I’d rank Successions main actors like this:

1. Brian Cox

2. Jeremy Strong

3. Kieran Culkin

4. Sarah Snook

5. Mathew Macfadyen

I definitely get that Brown is an actor’s favorite and can certainly understand the reasons you’ve listed above as to why he would get in. But I think Zegen has to be ahead of Brown at this point. Did Brown really make much of an impact? After his first episode, he didn’t really have much to do. If you’re gonna nominate a third “Maisel” actor, Leroy McClain is right there. I’m predicting Shalhoub and Zegen, but not Brown…not yet. I agree that Comedy Supporting Actor is open. I’d love to see some inspired nominations. I’m currently predicting Shalhoub and Alan Arkin (probably the two surest bets), Dan Levy (as part of a “Schitt’s Creek” embrace), John Goodman (because he’s a legend + HBO can replace one of their lost “Barry” noms with something for “Righteous Gemstones” here), Zegen and Kenan Thompson (which…whatever).

I have the same lineup except Brown over Goodman. Brown made a good impact on me, but I understand not thinking he’s worthy. I think Zegen and McClain are definitely more deserving and I’d to see them get in over Brown. I’m fine with Brown getting the nomination, but it would seem a bit wrong for a guest who just barely appeared enough to make supporting eligibility to get in over two men who did consistently great work throughout the whole season.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Michael Zegen is just that white, young-ish supporting actor who does not get nominated with all of his co-stars. The best examples might be Matt Czuchry and Vincent Kartheiser. Other victims might include Jay Duplass, Justin Hartley, John Krasinski, Max Minghella, Evan Peters, Michael Pitt and Dan Stevens to some extent.

John Goodman has not been nominated in a decade, so I do not see him getting in now. If anyone is for The Righteous Gemstones, it will be Walton Goggins, having already picked up a Satellite nomination for this performance and with his banked goodwill from his Critics’ Choice Award-winning performance in the show’s spiritual prequel Vice Principals, with an assist from his ongoing Critics’ Choice-nominated performance in The Unicorn.

Succession bombed at SAG again, but that it went from a snub to a win at PGA demonstrates its ability to make sudden massive gains. SAG might have just been a few months behind in catching up. It also went from losing New Series last year to winning Drama Series this year at WGA. I only have the two lead actors in for now though.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yup, Ann Dowd will propably make it, but I don’t see Strahovski returning unless they will have more that 6 nominees.

I am certain there will be seven, and she’ll make it. You can’t reward S3 and not her, much like in S2.

These early odds are one HOT mess. TMS over BLL? Fiona Shaw over Strahovski? Al Pacino over Sterling K. Brown? No Linda Cardellini in the top 6? Yikes. Thankfully they’ll adjust at one point.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Why do we keep trying to make D’Arcy Carden happen? Over Betty Gilpin no less?

Uh, because Carden is a better actress than Gilpin? That would be a very good reason.

This is how much bias the editors have against The Good Place; they put a series at 50% on Rotten Tomatoes ahead of it in their comedy series predictions. And this moment is the first time I’ve ever seen the word or even heard of a comedy called ‘Dollface’.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Dollface arguably should not even qualify to be in the predictions centre, seeing as it came out months ago to poor critical reviews, got no precursor nominations and its premise is not even close to being bait on paper: Hulu romantic comedy by an unknown starring 2 Broke Girls‘ Kat Dennings, The Suite Life‘s Brenda Song and Pretty Little Liars‘ Shay Mitchell. But we like to give people options and it is only Paul and Susan of the Editors who have it in (and over The Good Place), which is skewing the odds because Susan dually qualifies as an Expert and is the only Expert who has logged predictions, so the Experts odds are just her predictions and she alone accounts for about a third of the Combined odds, hence Dollface ranking ahead of The Good Place, despite thirteen times as many people predicting the latter over the former. Susan is also not predicting Linda Cardellini, so that explains her low ranking.

Pose did not suffer a sophomore slump; it is just starting much lower by default because of all of the dramas that came back this year.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

As a big Pose fan, I do kind of think it had a sophomore slump, in terms of quality. It was still a whole lot of fun and it had some good storylines, but the season was horribly structured, and so many big devlopments ended up not paying off. It’s a shame because S1 didn’t have most of these problems.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Riley’s post reported as spam as he censored my post for no reason whatsoever besides in a fit of pique. You are really scraping the bottom of the forking barrel when you have Dollface ahead of the Good Place in comedy series. Imagine what would’ve happened if I had posted that why so many of you put Awkwafina that high in the Comedy Actress predictions is because they’re rooting for the Emmys to give her a makeup call for her Oscar snub in The Farewell.

DON’T CENSOR MY POSTS JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A HATE-ON FOR ME.

At least Fonda and Tomlin are where they should be – 100/1 odds. That’s progress.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Censored your post? Calm down. All that I did was merge it with your previous post because you posted them only a few minutes apart. It is immediately above the post of mine that you reported as spam. Did you even read my post? I actually agreed with you and explained in greater detail than you did why you were justified in that case. Please quit your nonsense. Now you are accusing me of having Dollface in my predictions—you probably deserve to be censored for spreading fake news. I never delete your stuff though, much as I would enjoy that.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmy Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)’ is closed to new replies.