Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

2020 Emmy Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +15 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
  • Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

By ‘you’, I mean the editors as a whole. Nevertheless, I did post a reply and you chose to arbitrarily remove it. That is not fake news.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

You are confusing “remove” with “move”. And okay, let us pretend that you are talking about the editors as a whole. Then you are spreading more fake news because we collectively are not predicting Dollface ahead of The Good Place. Two of us have Dollface (in fourth and fifth), but the other five of us have The Good Place (in third or fourth).

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

OK. it was my mistake; I didn’t realize you combined my posts. I publicly apologize, then.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Guest 2018.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Guest 2018.
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong and Brian Cox have never been nominated together for “Succession.” Will the Emmys finally be the first ones to nominate both or will only one make it in? I currently have just Cox making it, but I could definitely see a surprise here. I also don’t know what to do with Milo Ventimiglia; unless he has something really great in these last few episodes, he shouldn’t be nominated – at least not in lead. NBC really should push him down to supporting; even Justin Hartley is more of a lead this season.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like limited categories will change so much once the shows are out.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Pose didn’t have a sophmore slump – it was just less fresh as a concept.

Also don’t see why people are being so snide to those predicting Fiona Shaw. I’m not going for her myself but I don’t see how selecting someone who just got nominated can ever be laughable as they’ve literally proven they can be chosen in the current system. In the same way, I wouldn’t sneer at anyone predicting a Mandy Moore or Viola Davis return in Lead Actress. The field is almost definitely too stacked for them but if we are overestimating anyone then it is them who will benefit as we know they have enough consensus with voters to get in.
    (Moreover, for all we know Fiona Shaw dies in the upcoming season and bingo there’s her bait and reason to return to voters’ minds)

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Fiona Shaw was nominated due to a weak field, capitalizing on Killing Eve’s surge last year. I’ve grown to respect her as an actress and her work on the show, but I doubt it’s a performance that would get nominated if the show wasn’t an across-the-board contender like it was last year. Viola Davis, on the other hand, can get in on her own merits, as we’ve seen time and again at this point, so I don’t entirely understand that analogy. Plus, I don’t think anyone is sneering anyone for anything; we’re just predicting an awards show, so pretty much everything we say should be taken with a grain of salt. I, along with others, just stated the bizarreness of Shaw being in seventh place, given the competition. At the very least, she should be behind Strahovski who’s on a show that the acting branch loves and who gives a much showier (and IMO more impactful) performance.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

What you’ve presented are reasons why Shaw probably won’t be nominated not why she definitely won’t. I’m just saying that it could happen so people shouldn’t be saying its “laughable” or that they “have to laugh” at the fact that people are predicting it. It’s just in bad taste and comes across as stubborn ignorance of a part the race for no reason other than wanting to promote one’s own favourites. It goes without saying that I wouldn’t nominate Shaw in a million years in this field but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna ignore her recently Emmy-nominated performance because of it.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Jeremy Strong and Brian Cox have never been nominated together for “Succession.” Will the Emmys finally be the first ones to nominate both or will only one make it in? I currently have just Cox making it, but I could definitely see a surprise here. I also don’t know what to do with Milo Ventimiglia; unless he has something really great in these last few episodes, he shouldn’t be nominated – at least not in lead. NBC really should push him down to supporting; even Justin Hartley is more of a lead this season.

The Emmys are the only place aside from Gold Derby that have found space for both Sterling K. Brown and Milo Ventimiglia at the same time. Critics’ Choice even managed to nominate only Brown twice non-consecutively and only Ventimiglia in the year in between. Because I have both of the Succession actors in, I cannot have either of them winning, so I have it defaulting to Jason Bateman. I feel confident about my top four, the fourth of which is Tobias Menzies, who ranks down in seventh in the odds. The Crown‘s one-per-category submission strategy has been pretty effective and the show has enough heat among actors now that it finally won ensemble.

Brown and Strong round out my lineup, but Brown is on the kind of show that could get him nominated longer at SAG than the Emmys. Or maybe he and Ventimiglia really are a package deal at the Emmys. Westworld might be another package deal. Strong might just be on a show that actors do not really care for, at least not enough to get dueling lead actor nominations. The Emmys could also skip all of these on-the-cusp contenders who are prone to vote-splitting and just go with Ben Mendelsohn and Billy Porter.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

What you’ve presented are reasons why Shaw probably won’t be nominated not why she definitely won’t. I’m just saying that it could happen so people shouldn’t be saying its “laughable” or that they “have to laugh” at the fact that people are predicting it. It’s just in bad taste and comes across as stubborn ignorance of a part the race for no reason other than wanting to promote one’s own favourites. It goes without saying that I wouldn’t nominate Shaw in a million years in this field but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna ignore her recently Emmy-nominated performance because of it.

Fair enough. Usually, when I say things like “I have to laugh,” then it’s because I know someone is a threat and could edge out one of my personal picks. The same with Gugu Mbatha-Raw; although I objectively don’t think she’ll be nominated, there are also subjective reasons as to why I will probably never predict her. Ultimately, on the day of the nominations, however, my predictions will be solely objective, but leading up to them it’s great to have some fun with these. And for the record, I am most certainly not discounting Shaw 😉

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

John Goodman has not been nominated in a decade, so I do not see him getting in now. If anyone is for The Righteous Gemstones, it will be Walton Goggins, having already picked up a Satellite nomination for this performance and with his banked goodwill from his Critics’ Choice Award-winning performance in the show’s spiritual prequel Vice Principals, with an assist from his ongoing Critics’ Choice-nominated performance in The Unicorn.

I wanted to predict Goggins instead of Goodman but he’s not in the predictions center. I think he was arguably agreed upon as the best part of the show.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My goodness – drama and limited are so stacked that it gives me a headache. Comedy, on the other hand, is, well, yikes.

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised more people aren’t predicting Giancarlo Esposito considering they’ve nominated him twice for that role already.

Allan Veríssimo
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised more people aren’t predicting Giancarlo Esposito considering they’ve nominated him twice for that role already.

Same with Mandy Patinkin, who was nominated for 4 seasons of Homeland.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Same with Mandy Patinkin, who was nominated for 4 seasons of Homeland.

Yeah, people are definitely underestimating him. I have him in my top 6, easily.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmy Nominations (Predictions Center Now Active)’ is closed to new replies.