Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 496 through 504 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Jays
Riley Chow
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

We saw what happened when GOT tried to go beyond the novels

You mean winning 4 consecutive Outstanding Drama Series Emmy awards?

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

That would be the obvious thing to do, but let’s remember it’s the same network that sent True Detective S1 as drama series knowing McConaughey will lose to Cranston

Actually, most people predicted McConaughey for the win, I was part of the minority that predicted Cranston. If I remember correctly, from the editors, Tom was one of the few that also got it right.

puck05 wrote:
    We saw what happened when GOT tried to go beyond the novels

You mean winning 4 consecutive Outstanding Drama Series Emmy awards?

Sometimes even the most prestigious awards cannot maintain the prestige of something that is not good or not deserving (Shakespeare in Love and Crash at the Oscar to name a few).

Watchmen becomes interesting with the fifth episode, I totally agree with you that there’s nothing special about the first four episodes.

I would say that becomes phenomenal with the fifth episode, because it never slows down after that, but the other four episodes were a very interesting build up, and the third episodes was as strong as episodes 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. 1, 2 and 4 were solid and interesting enough.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

With Oscars so early I guess it’ll be some time before the predictions center for this opens which means GD dies next week and I’ll be bored to death without awards conversation for a while.

Well to be honest it already got boring a few weeks ago when all the film awards started constantly repeating each other

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

With Oscars so early I guess it’ll be some time before the predictions center for this opens which means GD dies next week and I’ll be bored to death without awards conversation for a while.

I think Emmy predictions opened during the first week of March last year so it’ll probably be the same again this year unless they’re making it sooner because the Oscars are.

Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Watchmen becomes interesting with the fifth episode, I totally agree with you that there’s nothing special about the first four episodes.

Imagine watching the premiere and Laura episode and saying there is nothing special about it.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I realize Watchmen has no plans (as of now) for a second season, however, this whole time it has been competing as a Drama Series and not a miniseries and there has been nothing to indicate that HBO plans on switching that. If it has been scoring noms and wins throughout the various guilds as a “drama” then why would they kill that momentum?

True Detective could have competed in Limited Series during its first year, but chose not to. I think HBO is doing the same with Watchmen.

Watchmen can and should compete in Drama Series and I think will have a better shot at grabbing more nominations. The Emmys aren’t going to force it to compete in Limited, they only remove shows from being eligible in the Limited category… not the other way around (as they can’t guarantee if a series is going to have a 2nd season or not).

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

We saw what happened when GOT tried to go beyond the novels, and how Watchmen succesfully achieved a great storyline by not adapting the comic.

To be fair though, it’s still a very different scenario. Game of Thrones was meant to be an adaptation and Watchmen wasn’t. Game of Thrones was never supposed to cover all that new ground. It’s a real shame that Martin never finished before the show had to advance, I’m sure things would’ve gone very differently, and it wouldn’t have caused so much backlash. Watchmen originally wasn’t even going to be placed in the Watchmen universe, but some friends of Damon Lindelof told him that the story he was writing seemed suspiciously similar to Watchmen, and if he went through with it, people might say he was ripping off a classic story. Rather than risking that, he worked out a deal where he could legally use the setting and characters. I wonder how different the plot would’ve been. I’m going to guess that Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan had no equivalents in the original version despite their plot importance, as their roles in the story seem like they’d only fit themselves, rather than a character who’s similar to them.

Viewing 9 posts - 496 through 504 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.