Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Jays
Riley Chow
  • DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Westworld will still be able to make the cut after this two years break. If the season will be “divisive” as the second one I can see them omitting it from the Drama Series lineup, which will be really unfortunate. Westworld is the closest thing I have to TV passion now that GoT is over.

It will also be interesting to see how Watchmen is doing. At the beginning of the season there was a huge internet-bandwagon of hating it and then in the 2nd half exactly the opposite. Seems like it’s doin well by now, I wonder how he Emmys will react to it

By the way Menzies was brilliant in his Moon Landing episode in the Crown. If it was up to me he’d be the frontrunner as of now

Also, Charles Dance finally winning his long overdue Guest Actor Emmy/nomination will be everything

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Dvir B.A..
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Has there ever been a drama series that gets PGA, DGA (in this case, double nominations) and WGA nominations and doesn’t get into series at the Emmys? On precedent alone, Watchmen is locked for a nomination, and that’s without considering the utter critical acclaim it received.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Not with that exact combo, but The Good Wife S3 missed after getting PGA, SAG (×2) and WGA (×2) and on top of that it was nominated for the previous two seasons. The chances of it happening are low but Watchmen could get snubbed.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, Charles Dance finally winning his long overdue Guest Actor Emmy/nomination will be everything

Do we think this can happen? Obviously if Josh O’Connor goes into Guest Actor, he’ll win, but if he goes supporting like most are predicting, can Dance win?

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Let’s not predict a Crown actor to win the guest races yet, lol. Way too early. This show isn’t an acting branch favorite. If Handmaid’s gets someone into guest actor, bet on him to win – at least, that’s what I’ll do.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Not with that exact combo, but The Good Wife S3 missed after getting PGA, SAG (×2) and WGA (×2) and on top of that it was nominated for the previous two seasons. The chances of it happening are low but Watchmen could get snubbed.

SAG is far less of a bellwether than DGA, and a small correction – TGW only received 1 WGA nomination that year. As you correctly acknowledged, the probability of a Watchmen snub is ridiculously low based on history.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG is far less of a bellwether than DGA, and a small correction – TGW only received 1 WGA nomination that year. As you correctly acknowledged, the probability of a Watchmen snub is ridiculously low based on history.

I must have confused S3 with S4 there. Yeah, I’m still firm on a series nomination.

The Good Wife missed to shows that were way stronger in precursors, like Homeland, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire. Mad Men and GoT weren’t eligible but were obviously bigger when they hit the winter awards and Downton Abbey won SAG with noms for PGA and Golden Globe Drama.

Watchmen along with The Crown, Game of Thrones and Succession are the only dramas to hit three major guilds.

Game of Thrones is obviously ineligible. The Crown is the strongest as it missed DGA because of their British bias as Riley mentioned. This won’t be a problem at the Emmys. Succession comes second with those Globe wins and Watchmen is third. We have 7 slots at the Emmys and I doubt there are going to be almost half a dozen shows airing in the spring that turn out to be big enough contenders to push Watchmen out.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

This show isn’t an acting branch favorite.

It did win 2 major acting Emmys for its first two seasons with an additional 3 Individual SAG wins so…

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It did win 2 major acting Emmys for its first two seasons with an additional 3 Individual SAG wins so…

I keep forgetting about Lithgow… my bad. But still, I don’t see TC suddenly sweeping, especially with the muted response to S3.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s not predict a Crown actor to win the guest races yet, lol. Way too early. This show isn’t an acting branch favorite. If Handmaid’s gets someone into guest actor, bet on him to win – at least, that’s what I’ll do.

The Crown isn’t an acting branch favorite, but they’ve still done well in that regard. Both Lithgow and Foy have won, with Smith, Kirby, and Goode all getting nominations as well. The fact that Foy beat Moss the second time they went up against each other shows that even though Handmaid’s Tale has done better getting their actors nominations and wins, The Crown can still beat it when it has critical consensus on its side.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt there are going to be almost half a dozen shows airing in the spring that turn out to be big enough contenders to push Watchmen out.

From the new shows I only see a potential from Hunters.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

We have to remember that Damien Chazelle’s Netflix show, The Eddy, is still coming. Might not make eligibility but has the potential to be a HUGE contender whenever it drops.

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t wait to see Cicely Tyson’s return to How To Get Away With Murder. I would not be surprised if Phylicia Rashad is nominated and wins for This Is Us for Guest Actress in a Drama to make up for her horrendous loss to Cherry Jones in 2019

https://deadline.com/2019/09/cherry-jones-the-handmaids-tale-emmy-1202735478/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Emmyfan.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Emmyfan.
    methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

It will just be The Handmaid’s Tale again.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Some good points, though I think you’re way overestimating Moore. That SAG snub for the cast is bad news.

Thank you! I agree about the problematic SAG snub, but season 4 has been so good, and Moore has been incredible, but yeah, maybe there is wishful thinking on my part as well.

Big Little Lies and Succession are locks.

TLDR: Big Little Lies and Succession are definitely in. Westworld is shakier but I think it’ll still be safe. Watchmen is rapidly losing steam but it’s far from done just yet. Euphoria just won’t be an Emmys thing, and HBO probably knows that.

By now you must now that Golden Globes and Critics Choice are completely irrelevant for the Emmys. The only think that matters are the guilds and, in a lesser extent, TCA. Watchmen and Succession are locks, both have been ignored only by SAG, but both are locks for TCA. BLL is a lock to be snub since only actors still care for it and even they are not very enthusiastic, hence snubbing Streep and Kidman. Yes, it got PGA, but they adore HBO. BLL 2 will be snubbed by TCA. And BLL is a Guild show, for season 1 was nominated at every single Guild and won all of them with the exception of those in which competed as Drama (THT beat it rightfully there).

You are right about Westworld (we have to see it first) and about Euphoria, unfortunately, it is dead.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.