Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 454 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Keep up the discussion in Part 8.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

So many lead actress’s that I’m rooting for to win- Jennifer, Reese, Viola, Olivia, Jodie and Sandra

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  gabarnes43.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  gabarnes43.

FYC Emmys-
    Limited- Unbelievable

Drama- Killing Eve/The Crown/The Morning Show
    Jodie, Sandra, Olivia, Jennifer & VIOLA DAVIS

Comedy- Schitts Creek/ Dead to Me

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the saddest thing about this whole Emmy season for me is going to be how overlooked Reese Witherspoon’s performance in Big Little Lies is going to be. Sure she might get nominated for Little Fires Everywhere or even The Morning Show but unlike so many I won’t be able to forget how her sheer brilliance dominated season 2 before the show switched focus.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

If it has been scoring noms and wins throughout the various guilds as a “drama” then why would they kill that momentum?

Because placement is based on proper categorization per the Emmy rules and not win potential.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

This is more for the 2021 awards, but I could see Disney+ picking up a few technical noms for WandaVision. From what we saw at the Super Bowl, it looks like it’ll be changing set and costume styles frequently, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it showed up in those categories because the production and costumes seem really detailed and cool.

And I know that Elizabeth Olsen has zero chance for a Limited Actress nomination but I’m going to hold out a little hope until the very end because now that Sorry for Your Loss is over, I NEED her to somehow get some awards recognition.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Just finished Watchmen, and I LOVED it. I liked it a lot less when it started focusing on the Doctor Manhattan stuff, but Regina King and Jean Smart were nothing short of phenomenal, extremely deserving CC wins. The directing in the pilot and “This Extraordinary Being” were stunning. I’m so close to giving it a 10/10, but I just didn’t feel anything for Doctor Manhattan or his relationship with [spoiler]. Overall, really great stuff though. Definitely don’t need another season, happy it looks like it’ll be a limited series with the great ending we got. While I still think Unbelievable is the better show in the category, I hope this makes a splash at the Emmys!

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Just finished Watchmen, and I LOVED it. I liked it a lot less when it started focusing on the Doctor Manhattan stuff, but Regina King and Jean Smart were nothing short of phenomenal, extremely deserving CC wins. The directing in the pilot and “This Extraordinary Being” were stunning. I’m so close to giving it a 10/10, but I just didn’t feel anything for Doctor Manhattan or his relationship with [spoiler]. Overall, really great stuff though. Definitely don’t need another season, happy it looks like it’ll be a limited series with the great ending we got. While I still think Unbelievable is the better show in the category, I hope this makes a splash at the Emmys!

I can understand not caring for Dr. Manhattan. In both this and the original comic, the character has humanizing moments, but given his usual apathetic manner, it can be easy to see him as cold and unlikable. I thought they handled him well here. I wasn’t entirely into the design, but it didn’t bother me too much. I think he’s a hard character to physically translate in live action, as I didn’t really care for the film version’s representation either. Ironically, they go in the opposite direction. This version was mostly a practical effect, which can look a bit silly and out of place, but I can forgive it due to budgetary reasons, and they did explain why he usually looks like that. I also didn’t think the glowing effects were impressive, but in a way that could kind of make sense, as he would look out of place like that. However, it would’ve been better if they could do it in a way that looked less out of place, as it could be distracting. That’s my problem with the film version, as the entirely CGI creation never seemed to fit in with the other people. Approaching the character’s design in live action definitely seems to be a challenge, and I’m not sure how I’d personally do it.

But moving back to the actual character rather than his design, I thought his actor did a very good job, and I think this interpretation brought out some of his more human qualities. I didn’t like him as much as this show’s take on Veidt and Blake (who I thought was an improvement over her characterization in the original comic), but I still thought they handled him very well.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

High Fidelity starts off with a 68 on MC with 7 reviews.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/high-fidelity/season-1

Doesn’t feel like something that’ll be strong enough, or seen enough, to break through at the Emmy’s.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Early Predicted Wins

Drama Series- Succession
    Drama Actor- Tobias Menzies
    Drama Actress- Jennifer Aniston
    Drama Supporting Actor- Billy Crudup
    Drama Supporting Actress- Helena Bonham Carter
    Guest Actor- Charles Dance
    Guest Actress- Alexis Bledel
    Writing- Succession
    Directing- The Crown
    Comedy Series- Schitts Creek
    Comedy Actor- Eugene Levy
    Comedy Actress- Catherine O’Hara
    Comedy Supporting Actor- Tony Shalhoub
    Comedy Supporting Actress- Alex Borstein
    Comedy Guest Actor- Eddie Murphy
    Comedy Guest Actress- Maya Rudolph
    Comedy Writing- The Good Place
    Comedy Directing- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    Limited Series- Watchmen
    Limited Actor- Hugh Grant
    Limited Actress- Cate Blanchett
    Limited Supporting Actor- Donald Sutherland
    Limited Supporting Actress- ?

FYC Emmys-
    Limited- Unbelievable

Drama- Killing Eve/The Crown/The Morning Show
    Jodie, Sandra, Olivia, Jennifer & VIOLA DAVIS

Comedy- Schitts Creek/ Dead to Me

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting, Doctor Manhattan and his relationship with [spoiler] was my favorite part of the entire show, the actor and his dialogues were phenomenal, I would watch a show only about him and his previous adventures.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama Actor- Tobias Menzies

Drama Actress- Jennifer Aniston 

Comedy Series- Schitts Creek Comedy Actress- Catherine O’Hara

FYC BAFTA TV : Killing Eve, Russell Tovey, Years and Years, His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson
    FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Whether HBC wins or not this year, we know who’s winning next year.

FYC BAFTA TV : Killing Eve, Russell Tovey, Years and Years, His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson
    FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown

verissimoallan
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

i know it’s broadcast tv but…what about Tommy on CBS??

Edie Falco will be great, and even if she’s not (I doubt) the Emmy would name check her.

Lead actress drama is HELL this year.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

i know it’s broadcast tv but…what about Tommy on CBS?? Edie Falco will be great, and even if she’s not (I doubt) the Emmy would name check her. Lead actress drama is HELL this year.

If they really want to nominate broadcast television, specifically CBS, Evil would be a terrific choice. Michael Emerson is killing it. Back in the good days of broadcast television’s reign it would have been easily nominated for Drama Series, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Writing, Directing, and Guest Acting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 454 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.