Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 461 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • Víctor Pérez
    Participant
    Topics:

I don´t think Ozark is over Westworld in the race for a nomination in Drama Series. Even if S3 of Ozark is so well received the past ceremonies told us that Westworld is a very important show to the Academy (20+ nominations both seasons and 7 and 5 in the main categories). So I think Westworld (despite the divisive season 2) is a bit above Ozark in the race, if not completely. An interesting question is the (very complicated) possibility of 4 HBO shows in Drama Series (Succession, Watchmen, Westworld, Big Little Lies). I don’t think it happens, but who knows.

Right now my predictions/ranking from more to less options for drama series:

1. Succession
    2. The Crown
    3. Watchmen
    4. Better Call Saul
    5. Stranger Things
    6. Big Little Lies
    7. The Handmaid’s Tale
    8. Westworld
    9. This is Us
    10. Ozark
    11. Killing Eve
    12. The Morning Show

I put THT on 7 but my head says the bad critics on S3 will repercute and it won’t be in Drama Series. We will see, this year’s race is amazing and all is possible.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

PS- hopefully Lindleoff/Watchmen isn’t included too much in the marketing materials for The Hunt which Universal is releasing next month. I’ve read the script and its pretty terrible, regardless of the politics which will also probably cause a stir. It would suck if that dragged him down

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is Luca Giliberti so confident about THT? I mean we’ve seen shows being dropped poco a poco.
    — The show had its prime, it showed strength for S2, but I doubt it’ll be that strong this year, especially when it aired like a year ago. I will not dismiss Moss yet, but the show will just NOT get as many noms as it did before.

THT & GoT were the only drama shows to get 10+ noms last year. It over performed in terms of nominations and wins and the place above-the-line categories it missed were the ones it wasn’t eligible in. Bare in this was only for 3 episodes that a year old at the point for a completely different season.

Season 3 guild’s performance was also more than (I assume) most people were expecting. It got nominated at *checks notes* CAS, SAG, CSA, CDG, MUAHS, ADG, WGA and won ACS.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

THT & GoT were the only drama shows to get 10+ noms last year. It over performed in terms of nominations and wins and the place above-the-line categories it missed were the ones it wasn’t eligible in. Bare in this was only for 3 episodes that a year old at the point for a completely different season. Season 3 guild’s performance was also more than (I assume) most people were expecting. It got nominated at *checks notes* CAS, SAG, CSA, CDG, MUAHS, ADG, WGA and won ACS.

Yeah o think Handmaid’s Tale will probably do pretty well in terms of nominations, just not wins.

gabspss
    Participant
    Topics:

(It is ineligible at WGA.)

I didn’t knew. Why?

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Westworld is pretty safe considering the amount of technical support it has it’s the biggest tech show now that Game of Thrones is gone and if Newton, Wood, Wright, Paul & Harris are all good they will get in again.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Newton, Wood, Wright, Paul & Harris are all good they will get in again.

they can all be great and the only one safe for a nom would still be Newton

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I didn’t knew. Why?

The show is written under the Writers Guild of Great Britain instead.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Westworld is pretty safe considering the amount of technical support it has it’s the biggest tech show now that Game of Thrones is gone and if Newton, Wood, Wright, Paul & Harris are all good they will get in again.

I hope Jimmi Simpson returns for an episode or two.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

they can all be great and the only one safe for a nom would still be Newton

I feel it’ll be harder for them to get Wood and whoever (I’m guessing Wright) is submitted for Lead Actor nominated. We’ll have to see if they have enough strong material to breakthrough or not. It is worth noting though, the show has down a good job getting actors nominated in lead for roles that some people don’t even consider leads. Wood, Hopkins, Wright, and Harris have all gotten leading nominations, but I’ve heard all of them being referred to as supporting at times. With Wood, it was mostly while the first season was still going on when some people thought Newton was closer to being the leading actress than Wood, which makes sense, as Newton’s role seemed to move the story along more, and she appeared in every episode while Wood missed one. However, by the end when the finale set up the story as being more centered around Wood, that line of thinking seemed to die out. If I remember correctly, Newton was submitted as a lead with Wood at the Globes, but she was nominated in supporting anyway. Talking about her, Newton’s in a crowded category, but she’s a past winner and probably the most popular character on the show, so I feel very confident in her returning. If she can win for a season where several people claimed she was underutilized, then she shouldn’t have a hard time getting another nomination. Outside of any possible guest contenders, their next easiest spot for a nomination would be Supporting Actor. Paul’s an Emmy favorite, and he seems to have a big part. Knowing how the show has moved actors’ category placements around, it’s possible he’ll be considered a lead, especially since his character seems to be linked with Wood, but I don’t think they’d try to campaign a brand new character as a lead. I’m guessing Harris will go back to a supporting placement. There’s only one shot of him in the trailer, which can mean three things. His role is smaller this year, his role has too many spoilers to show too much of him, or it’s both of those combined. I’m gonna guess it’s the third option. Harris could definitely get a nomination of the material is there, but if his role has been greatly reduced, maybe he won’t have enough material. We saw with Hopkins that even when you’re a legend who was nominated in Lead Actor, if you don’t have much to do, you might not make Supporting Actor the next time around. Of course, Hopkins’ chance of a nomination was clearly hurt by the fact that he had the episode count of a guest that year. Vincent Cassell has also joined the cast, and he might be a threat for a nod. There’s a whole lot of variables and we won’t have a good grasp on it all until the season comes out, so I guess I should shut up about it until then.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

THT & GoT were the only drama shows to get 10+ noms last year. It over performed in terms of nominations and wins and the place above-the-line categories it missed were the ones it wasn’t eligible in. Bare in this was only for 3 episodes that a year old at the point for a completely different season. Season 3 guild’s performance was also more than (I assume) most people were expecting. It got nominated at *checks notes* CAS, SAG, CSA, CDG, MUAHS, ADG, WGA and won ACS.

100% this. I will not respond to The Politician directly (since we all know who that really is), but that sums it up Brayden. Of course it missed some important ones like DGA and PGA, but DGA was occupied by HBO shows, one of which won’t even be eligible for the Emmys, so I’m not concerned. THT is still in the race – for nominations.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

m844
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t:

Outstanding Drama Series: Succession (HBO)

Outstanding Comedy Series: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)

Outstanding Limited Series: Watchmen (HBO)

Considering Succession has picked up so many awards including the PGA, DGA, WGA, GG, and Critics Choice, it’s pretty much the heavy favorite to win Drama Series. Plus, the Emmys love HBO and Amazon lately. The second season has gotten such rave reviews as well. Mrs. Maisel also upset Fleabag for the SAG Comedy Ensemble award, so as a previous winner of Comedy Series, it’s the frontrunner. Also Watchmen was very beloved and is now not going to continue to a second season, but typical Limited Series usually win if they air close to the May 31st airing deadline.

I think the race for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series is wide open and tough to call. I thought Olivia Colman would win for The Crown but she only won the GG, losing CC to Regina King and SAG to Jennifer Aniston.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Then we shall see how it performs this year. Keep dismissing Westworld and its actors, you’re the one who’s gonna end up surprised, not me.

He is not dismissing them, he like every sense person wants to wait and see the season first. This forum already made the mistake to believe that The Crown S3 will be the next Breaking Bad before its airing and we saw that it was not the case. Westworld 3 is still a question mark, it can be our winner if it is excellent and it can be completely snub (it has happened before).

Justo stop declaring theories as facts, same goes for Succession, declaring this show as a lock for the win is absurd, the show has receive ZERO nomination from the actors voting body, if this continues, it will not win.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 461 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.