Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 454 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I never said she wasn’t winning. I just meant that she isn’t some Emmy darling. And by now we should know that even being an Emmy darling, or merely an industry darling, doesn’t always get you far.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

You mean like when she won for Fargo?

To be fair actors have never cared for Fargo so..

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure?

Repeat winners we’ve had since the voting system changed in 2015 (I think): Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Kate McKinnon, Bill Hader, Peter Dinklage, Alex Borstein. I’m probably being really stupid but I just can’t see how Garner fits into this group. I mean: JLD was fresh off a string of consecutive wins; McKinnon got rejuvenated buzz for her second win thanks to Trump’s election; Hader faced no competition, had writing and directing nominations and was the lead of contender to win series; and Borstein was an acclaimed performance in the previous years’ series winner in a divided field where her biggest competitors also faced internal competition. They are also veteran performers. I just don’t see how Garner, her show and her performance represent what the current system allows to repeat.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

You’ve got a point. On the drama side, in particular, we just haven’t seen many repeat winners recently – since 2016 at least. Peter Dinklage has, of course, been the exception. Every single time we predicted a repeat winner, it ended up being someone else (i.e. Foy instead of Moss; Newton instead of Dowd – who was ahead early on in the odds; Rhys instead of Brown; and so on).

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Was just going through my guest predictions and realized that Larry David and Ted Danson will likely be going up against each other in two different categories.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

We already know that Barry, Atlanta, and Russian Doll are missing out, but I think PEN15 is going to miss the deadline as well.

I also think there will be a lot more than the standard six/seven in most categories, but I’m just listing what I’ll put in the prediction center when it opens.

Not predicting comedy guest categories just yet because I just can’t fill out a category of six with the contenders we have right now.

COMEDY SERIES
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Dead to Me
    GLOW
    The Good Place
    ***The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Run
    Schitt’s Creek
    (BACKUP: Insecure)

DRAMA SERIES
    Better Call Saul
    Big Little Lies
    The Crown
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    ***Succession
    Watchmen
    Westworld
    (BACKUP: Stranger Things)

LIMITED SERIES
    Fargo
    I Know This Much Is True
    ***Mrs. America
    Unbelievable
    The Undoing
    (BACKUP: Little Fires Everywhere)

COMEDY LEAD ACTRESS
    Christina Applegate
    Rachel Brosnahan
    Linda Cardellini
    Kirsten Dunst
    ***Catherine O’Hara
    Merritt Wever
    (BACKUP: Issa Rae)

DRAMA LEAD ACTRESS
    Jennifer Aniston
    ***Olivia Colman
    Jodie Comer
    Nicole Kidman
    Regina King
    Elisabeth Moss
    (BACKUP: Reese Witherspoon in Big Little Lies)

LIMITED LEAD ACTRESS
    ***Cate Blanchett
    Kaitlyn Dever
    Cynthia Erivo
    Nicole Kidman
    Merritt Wever
    Reese Witherspoon
    (BACKUP: Winona Ryder)

COMEDY LEAD ACTOR
    Anthony Anderson
    ***Ted Danson
    Larry David
    Michael Douglas
    Martin Freeman
    Eugene Levy
    (BACKUP: Ramy Youssef)

DRAMA LEAD ACTOR
    Jason Bateman
    Sterling K. Brown
    Tobias Menzies
    Bob Odenkirk
    Billy Porter
    ***Jeremy Strong
    (BACKUP: Jeffrey Wright)

LIMITED LEAD ACTOR
    Darren Criss
    Russell Crowe
    Hugh Grant
    Jude Law in The Third Day
    Chris Rock
    ***Mark Ruffalo
    (BACKUP: Jason Segel)

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    ***Alex Borstein
    D’Arcy Carden
    Betty Gilpin
    Marin Hinkle
    Kate McKinnon
    Annie Murphy
    (BACKUP: Jane Lynch)

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    ***Helena Bonham Carter
    Laura Dern
    Julia Garner
    Thandie Newton
    Jean Smart
    Meryl Streep
    (BACKUP: Yvonne Strahovski)

LIMITED SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Uzo Aduba
    Jessie Buckley
    Toni Collette
    Sarah Paulson
    Lily Rabe
    ***Kerry Washington
    (BACKUP: Rose Byrne)

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Louie Anderson
    Alan Arkin
    Dan Levy
    Leroy McClain
    ***Tony Shalhoub
    Bowen Yang
    (BACKUP: William Jackson Harper)

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Jonathan Banks
    Kieran Culkin
    David Harbour
    Josh O’Connor
    ***Aaron Paul
    Bradley Whitford
    (BACKUP: Billy Crudup)

LIMITED SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Noah Jupe
    Timothy Olyphant
    Jason Schwartzman
    ***John Slattery
    Donald Sutherland
    Ben Whishaw
    (BACKUP: Glynn Turman)

DRAMA GUEST ACTRESS
    Alexis Bledel
    Cherry Jones
    Mindy Kaling
    ***Jane Lapotaire
    Phylicia Rashad
    Cicely Tyson
    (BACKUP: Laverne Cox)

DRAMA GUEST ACTOR
    James Cromwell
    ***Charles Dance
    O.T. Fagbenle
    Don Johnson
    Ron Cephas Jones
    Christopher Meloni
    (BACKUP: Jovan Adepo)

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

All I want for xmas is this event opened in the predictions centre

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

All I want for xmas is this event opened in the predictions centre

What it’s been like without the ability to predict the Oscars, Emmys, or Tonys

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t wait to predict Newton to win from the beginning and then have her actually win.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t wait to predict Newton to win from the beginning and then have her actually win.

And i’ll join you. We will PLANT THAT SEED!

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t believe people keep writing Rachel Wood off, and have Newton winning.

Wood isn’t as good as Newton and her character is annoying.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t believe people keep writing Rachel Wood off, and have Newton winning.

It makes sense though. Newton’s a huge fan favorite. Most would agree she’s the most popular character on the show, she’s already won, and her category doesn’t look as competitive. While Wood was very well received in the first season, her role was much more divisive in season two. A character who was previously seen as very sympathetic became so wildly different from her earlier portrayal, acting as a bloodthirsty and monstrous individual, arguably the closest thing the show currently has in the way of a main villain. Most people agree that Wood did a good job, but many people just didn’t find the character of Dolores engaging as such a malevolent presence. I specifically recall that even though she got nominated at the Emmys for the second season, many people called her the weak link of that lineup (Moss, Foy, Russell, Oh, and Maslaney being the other nominees), and while I heard a decent or at least noticeable amount of predictions for all the other nominees, pretty much nobody seemed to think Wood had a chance of winning. It’s worth noting that the character could go through some noticeable changes this year, as it’s been revealed that Aaron Paul’s character, a poor man who would never be able to get into Westworld, unlike the privileged rich people she encountered there, will help challenge her biased perspective on humans. I’m guessing she’ll still be a villain as I don’t think they’d reveal info like that before the season starts if she was gonna turn heroic, but I’m guessing they realized a lot of people didn’t care for her season two portrayal and they’re trying to make her more three dimensional as a result of that. We’ll see whether or not her portrayal is more well received this time around once the show starts up again.

BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Was just going through my guest predictions and realized that Larry David and Ted Danson will likely be going up against each other in two different categories.

This happened with Bill Hader and Donald Glover 2 years ago, obviously because of SNL too.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

So there will be significantly less genre fraud in comedy series than the past 2 years. (No Barry, Russian Doll or Pen15). This is a great thing.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

First all of Dolores is the more popular character on the show, most people (I’ve spoken with) always refer toMaeve as the black girl/the one playing the prostitute, but when I ask about Dolores, they automatically know her name. Also Newton has the more baity character among the cast, she has the chance to feel different types of ways which helps her a lot, while the others are pretty one note yet the manage to give top notch performances. Rachel Wood especially, her character is so complex but she always deliver, plus she’s obviously a better actress than Newton in general. I do love both, but let’s not pretend Thandie is the face of WW, she won the Emmy because of her character being more award friendly.

This post seems pretty biased. Most everyone I’ve heard talking about the show say that Maeve is their favorite. And don’t act like Newton had a more award friendly second season. Wood got to have an active role in nearly every single episode while Newton was tied to a table for a long amount of time, giving her much less to do. And where’s the evidence that Wood’s “obviously a better actress”? And also why exactly does Newton’s character getting to “feel in different ways” make her acting job easier? Playing a developed character is more difficult than playing a one note character since there’s a lot more that the actor needs to adhere to rather than getting to just make it their own.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 454 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.