Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 461 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Whether HBC wins or not this year, we know who’s winning next year.

If she’s good, yes, and only if HBC is either not nominated or is so much outshone by Anderson. Name-check is longer your unconditional ticket to a win. Because you’re name is Sandra Oh doesn’t mean you are now automatically winning drama actress when you have a co-star whose performance is much showier and more beloved. Same goes for HBC this year; just because she’s HBC doesn’t mean she’s winning. And with her little screen time and great but not out of this world performance (as most people seemed to have agreed on), it’s very possible she doesn’t win. She’s currently the front-runner after SAG nod, but it’s still early in the season.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I think people are saying Anderson will win in 2021 not because of her fame but because she’s playing the incredibly baity role of Margaret Thatcher

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think people are saying Anderson will win in 2021 not because of her fame but because she’s playing the incredibly baity role of Margaret Thatcher

Well duh, but that’s what everyone was saying about HBC a year ago, too. Do you know what I mean? We have to see the performance first. Hopefully she has enough screen time.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

Emma Corrin will have a super baity role as Diana as well. She might be young but don’t underestimate her. I think it would be impossible for The Crown to win if it has three supporting actresses nominated.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Even tho spoiler acting was more wooden than what it was supposed to be, but still understandable, the writing was so exceptional that it just brought balance into the performance. Can’t say the same with S8 of GoT.

But here was completely on purpose, I think that he balanced the apathetic nature of he character very well. And yes, the writing was so good, every line was full of meaning and nuances, even the comparison with season 8 of GoT is insulting.

I would suggest you to hide the name of the actor, because there are people who have yet to watch it. Although, you have to be out of Facebook, Instagram and Youtube to not know it by now.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I amused at the negative comparisons of Anderson to HBC when HBC could still easily win the Emmy in the right field.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Ray Donovan cancelled

What a dick move. The show is successful enough to become one of television’s longest-running dramas, then fans do not get an ending?

i know it’s broadcast tv but…what about Tommy on CBS?? Edie Falco will be great, and even if she’s not (I doubt) the Emmy would name check her. Lead actress drama is HELL this year.

Lead Actress is “HELL” and you are considering Tommy? Is that supposed to be a non sequitur?

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally watched season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel last week and it is is indeed still marvelous. That might be my favorite season and the funniest they’ve done thus far. They deserve e-ve-ry-thing! Alex Borstein will repeat… I mean, who compares!? Tony Shalhoub is my FAVE and I hope he wins again. I love that he won SAG for the second year in a row for a Supporting performance so his support is quite strong.

Rachel Brosnahan was marvelous… marvelous… marvelous! I need her to SWEEP yet again. She was so great in every episode but especially the final three. Marin Hinkle was also better than last year. I hope she keeps her nomination.

Luke Kirby was charming as always, wouldn’t be surprised if he repeated. I want him to. Zachary Levi was absent most of the season but came through towards the end, I oved the scene at the diner with Rachel. Sterling K. Brown would also make a great nominee, although i’m less confident that he’ll actually be one. I was also amused by his singing. Unlike many people, i’ve always enjoyed Michael Zegen and he did not let me down. Loved the character Mei Lin, she was very funny.

Also, for the first time I kinda liked Sophie Lennon and Jane Lynch deserves a nomination.

I really enjoyed the expanded storyline of Shy Baldwin and subsequent increased screen time for Leroy McClain. He was delightful and had wonderful chemistry with Rachel Brosnahan. I was impressed by the improved diversity and minor addressing of some issues like racial segregation at the time. In essence, it was an amazing season. Honestly one of the best shows… like… ever. Hoping for 20+ noms and I doubt it’ll have much competition aside from Barry  (if eligible).

Carlo
    Participant
    Topics:

No. I’m considering Edie Falco, a 14 times nominee, 4 times winner, nominated two years ago for a broadcast show…

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

No. I’m considering Edie Falco, a 14 times nominee, 4 times winner, nominated two years ago for a broadcast show…

In a year when frontrunners in Gold Derby’s prediction center were Elisabeth Moss for Top of the Lake and Hayley Atwell for Howards End.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally watched season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel last week and it is is indeed still marvelous. That might be my favorite season and the funniest they’ve done thus far. They deserve e-ve-ry-thing! Alex Borstein will repeat… I mean, who compares!? Tony Shalhoub is my FAVE and I hope he wins again. I love that he won SAG for the second year in a row for a Supporting performance so his support is quite strong. Rachel Brosnahan was marvelous… marvelous… marvelous! I need her to SWEEP yet again. She was so great in every episode but especially the final three. Marin Hinkle was also better than last year. I hope she keeps her nomination. Luke Kirby was charming as always, wouldn’t be surprised if he repeated. I want him to. Zachary Levi was absent most of the season but came through towards the end, I oved the scene at the diner with Rachel. Sterling K. Brown would also make a great nominee, although i’m less confident that he’ll actually be one. I was also amused by his singing. Unlike many people, i’ve always enjoyed Michael Zegen and he did not let me down. Loved the character Mei Lin, she was very funny. Also, for the first time I kinda liked Sophie Lennon and Jane Lynch deserves a nomination. I really enjoyed the expanded storyline of Shy Baldwin and subsequent increased screen time for Leroy McClain. He was delightful and had wonderful chemistry with Rachel Brosnahan. I was impressed by the improved diversity and minor addressing of some issues like racial segregation at the time. In essence, it was an amazing season. Honestly one of the best shows… like… ever. Hoping for 20+ noms and I doubt it’ll have much competition aside from Barry (if eligible).

I agree that Borstein is repeating. I know some people doubt that since she’s already been well rewarded, but there doesn’t seem to be any other contender who has a performance as acclaimed as her’s, and this was my personal favorite season from her. She was probably my personal MVP of the cast this year. Shalhoub also looks like he’ll win again, deservingly. His material wasn’t quite as good as his work in season 2, where I thought he stole the show, but he’s still got plenty to do, and he does it perfectly. Like Borstein, I don’t see any other contenders right now who look like they can upset him. And unlike Borstein, he’s only won for this role once, so I don’t think he’ll have to deal with any fatigue in that department. Not to mention, he won SAG again, and unlike last time, we can’t pin it all on vote splitting, as Hader and Scott were both highly acclaimed contenders with no one to siphon any votes from them, and yet, Shalhoub won again.

Brosnahan was spectacular as always. I’d love to see her win again. However, I think it’ll be a harder path for her. A lot of people adore Catherine O’Hara’s work on Schitt’s Creek (and Catherine O’Hara in general), and given it’s the last season, and the show has started to gain more industry support, she could take it. I recently started watching the first season, and I find her hysterical there. My understanding is that the show gets better as it goes on, so I’m sure she’s continued to be awesome on it. However, Maisel’s SAG wins shows that it’s still got a lot of support from actors, and Brosnahan has the performance that deserves a win. It should be an interesting race between these two.

Marin Hinkle continued to be a delight, and she absolutely deserves another nomination. Unfortunately for her, she’s in a position where she’s probably never going to win. Borstein is the bigger, showier, more popular part, and as good as Hinkle is, I don’t see her taking away too many of Borstein’s votes (likely helped Borstein win last year, as Clifford probably took more votes Colman). Still, Hinkle does a great job, and I think she’s safe for a nomination due to the strength of her work and the love for the show. We could also see Jane Lynch getting in this year, which I’d be totally here for me. I’ve always liked her on the show, but this year her expanded role has given her so much more to do, and absolutely delivered. Borstein will definitely come before her, and I’m pretty sure Hinkle will too, but there’s a definitely a path for a nomination. She’s won for this role in guest, she’s a big name, actors love the show, and she’s got a great performance. If SNL can get three women in this category, I think Maisel can too. There other eligible women from the show who are great in roles varying size (Caroline Aaron, Stephanie Hsu, Matilda Szydagis), but none of them are gonna go far at all (Szydagis especially, as much as I love Zelda), especially when there’s three legitimate contenders.

For the non/Shalhoub supporting men, it’s an interesting situation. The name I hear popping up the most is Sterling K. Brown. And that makes sense. In a short amount of time he’s become an industry favorite (especially at the Emmys), and he gives a typically wonderful performance. Also, who knew he could sing? Sterling’s problem is the size of his part. He’s a guest actor who just missed guest eligibility. In guest, he’d be a lock for a nomination (not as win, as no guest actor on this show will ever be able to get more votes than Luke Kirby). After all, he’s a big name who got a great guest showcase. He had great one liners, he was stylish and cool, he sang (and actually sounded really good), he had dramatic moments showcasing depth, and on and on. However, when you compare him to other supporting contenders (including score on Maisel), his role is significantly smaller. The quality and the name is there, the question is, will that overcome the size of the part? I think it could, but there’s still a good chance he doesn’t make the cut. Personally, I think Leroy McClain is the most deserving of the supporting men, aside from Shalhoub. He really impressed me. He was charming, worked wonderfully with Brosnahan and Brown, and ended up having a whole lot of pathos (I wasn’t certain if they were gonna go that direction with his character, but I had a feeling they might). Unfortunately, he’s a very small name in a recurring role that just so happened to appear in most episodes. A nomination for McClain would be inspired, and while the support could be there given the show’s success in the acting categories, I think he’ll face too much internal completion from bigger names, and main cast members. I also agree that I think Michael Zegen is very underrated. He plays a great straight man, and he’s done a great job in Joel’s continual redemption arc. A deserving nomination could happen, but due to the fact that Joel’s the least popular of the main characters, I’m not gonna predict it. Much like in Supporting Actress, there are other eligible and great contenders (Kevin Pollak, Cary Elwes, Brian Tarantina), but they won’t happen. Elwes is another unfortunate case of someone who would’ve been a great guest nominee, but appeared just too much for it to happen. And unlike Brown, I don’t think he has the industry support or performance to stand much of a chance in this category. I’m really gonna miss Tarantina. I always liked him, but this season, the man was an absolute hoot. His passing’s really such a shame. I’m glad he got all those nice shoutouts at SAG, and I hope he gets some more at the Emmys.

For the Guest categories, Luke Kirby is a lock for a nomination, and he could pull off another win. I’d be predicting a win if it weren’t for Eddie Murphy hosting SNL. However, in the event that SNL has a lot of men nominated here, maybe Kirby could prevail if they take off enough votes from Murphy’s total. I’d be fine with either winning, although I think I’m rooting for Murphy. Still, Kirby continues to be sensational on this show, and his big episode was sensational. It’s honestly amazing how Rachel Brosnahan is able to get such good chemistry with pretty much everyone she acts against on this show. Zachary Levi will also be eligible this year, and he’d be extremely deserving of a nod. Since Rufus Sewell made it last year, I’m guessing Levi will make it this year. He had a lot less screen time, but his big moment was probably his best moment on this show. Genuinely heartbreaking, and at times so uncomfortable that it’s funny. I’ll be rooting for him to get in. Hopefully that’s not the last we’ll see if Benjamin (I don’t think it is). Jason Alexander is also eligible. Despite being a bigger and more respected name than Kirby and Levi, and even though George Costanza never winning is one of the Emmys’ greatest blunders, I don’t see him making it unless both Kirby and Levi get in. They had much showier and better parts, and Kirby has the bonus that he won last year, while Levi has the bonus that he’s a supporting player who’s gone guest. Still, while I don’t expect it to happen, I wouldn’t mind seeing Alexander make it in. His work was brief, but touching.

With Lynch going supporting, the show has lost its Guest Actress contender, and they don’t really have someone to take her place. Wanda Sykes is eligible, but I wouldn’t consider her worthy. She’s sort of like Fiona Shaw on Fleabag last year. A very small part, that’s also not showy. However, Shaw made it in, and if the category isn’t strong, Sykes could too. I get the feeling that we’ll see more of her next season, and hopefully then she’ll have more material that would justify a nod. Aside from her, there’s really no other contenders. Justine Lupe is eligible and she’s as good as always, but I don’t think a small name like her will have a chance here since she didn’t really got a whole lot of spotlight this season. Liza Weil’s role is the size of a guest contender, but since she appeared in all those scenes mostly just being in the background, she’s in supporting where she won’t have a chance. In all honesty, I’m fine with that. Weil was good, but she only had one scene of much note, and I don’t think it was enough for me to root for a nomination anyway.

And that ends my discussion of Maisel’s actors. Didn’t think I’d go into that much detail on them, but hey, I had free time. Still love this show and hope it has a great Awards run this year.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

Run will debut April 12

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 461 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.