Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 454 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm, IMO Ruth is the breakout character tbh. She’s who I think about when I think about Ozark. And of course, the rule doesn’t always apply. Plus, vote-splitting is what also helped Garner, I presume.

Bateman is definitely the face of Ozark. Plus, votesplitting is also what would help HBC win.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Newton = NOT the face of Westworld.

And imagine thInking of “Ruth” when you think of Ozark and not Marty… I-

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re probably right, but I remember her nom for Transparent as a pretty big surprise (and if I remember her character was like the 4th most prominent supporting female on her show), so if there’s enough affinity for her as a performer maybe she could surprise again

Did anyone watch Mrs. Fletcher though? I liked it and Hahn was easily the best part but it definitely flew under the radar with minimal buzz. She wasn’t able to get in at the Globes in a much less competitive field than what she’s facing at this years Emmy’s. Plus, HBO has much bigger priorities in that category – The Undoing, I Know This Much Is True, The Plot Against America, etc. Sight unseen for most of these but she’s not ahead of Blanchett, Kidman, Witherspoon, Wever, Dever, and Erivo to name a few. It’s just too competitive.

Snow
    Participant
    Topics:

I was wondering, if both Maya Rudolph and Lisa Kudrow were nominated for The Good Place, who would have the edge? I would like to believe they would go for Rudolph, but maybe Kudrow will receive some goodwill with her new show being in contention? Also, as of now, there’s any frontrunner?

Octavia Spencer rules

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

If Kudrow didn’t get a nom for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Grace and Frankie, I don’t see how she gets in for The Good Place. But I think Maya would have the edge in that situation.

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Newton = NOT the face of Westworld. And imagine thInking of “Ruth” when you think of Ozark and not Marty… I-

Ruth is by far the most interesting character on Ozark and Julia Garner gives the best performance so probably most people.

Snow
    Participant
    Topics:

If Kudrow didn’t get a nom for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Grace and Frankie, I don’t see how she gets in for The Good Place. But I think Maya would have the edge in that situation.

I see her snub for GaF being ok, unlike The Good Place in some categories, there’s zero appeal outside Tomlin and Fonda. And her role in UKS was so minimum that sometimes I forget that she appeared at some point. It was like for a couple of minutes max.

Octavia Spencer rules

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I see her snub for GaF being ok, unlike The Good Place in some categories, there’s zero appeal outside Tomlin and Fonda. And her role in UKS was so minimum that sometimes I forget that she appeared at some point. It was like for a couple of minutes max.

I remember her having a decent guest spot though. There was an entire episode dedicated to her and Ellie Keller, which I personally remember being a good showcase for her, probably the strongest of that season’s guest appearances. I can’t speak for any future appearances of her on the show as I stopped watching after season 2.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Ruth is by far the most interesting character on Ozark and Julia Garner gives the best performance so probably most people.

Garner’s great in Ozark, but it’s wild to say that Garner is the face of the show to most people when she’s still relatively unknown and Bateman is widely more popular and is literally the main character of the show.

Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington were the faces of Game of Thrones, but they didn’t give the best performances/were the most interesting characters.

Snow
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember her having a decent guest spot though. There was an entire episode dedicated to her and Ellie Keller, which I personally remember being a good showcase for her, probably the strongest of that season’s guest appearances. I can’t speak for any future appearances of her on the show as I stopped watching after season 2.

That episode wasn’t the one in which they are hanging out in a park? I remember it being so brief.

Octavia Spencer rules

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

The biggest “surprise” that is probably inevitable but that still no one will see coming is Genius getting in for series again.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Bateman is definitely the face of Ozark. Plus, votesplitting is also what would help HBC win.

As someone who doesn’t watch Ozark but hears about it, my unbiased opinion is it sounds like Jason Bateman is indeed the face of the series, while Julia Garner is a hug fan favorite.

That episode wasn’t the one in which they are hanging out in a park? I remember it being so brief.

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but I recall her story being the focus of the A plot and she featured prominently throughout. Maybe I’m wrong, as it’s been awhile.

Garner’s great in Ozark, but it’s wild to say that Garner is the face of the show to most people when she’s still relatively unknown and Bateman is widely more popular and is literally the main character of the show. Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington were the faces of Game of Thrones, but they didn’t give the best performances/were the most interesting characters.

I’d say Game of Thrones face altered throughout the years. First season it was Sean Bean, then it felt like Peter Dinklage was the face for the next couple of years. Then around season 5 it felt like the dragons became the face, then it felt like Harington and Clarke became the face of the show for the final two seasons.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think that my point was less about the face and more about how the Emmys have tended to award the most deserving person from a show before awarding anyone else in recent years. This is sometimes the face or sometimes the breakout supporting player if there is one, so we have not been getting into those situations where Laura Dern comes out a winner and Adam Driver a loser.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

The biggest “surprise” that is probably inevitable but that still no one will see coming is Genius getting in for series again.

Fool me once… twice… but not 3 times! Lol.

So it seems Cynthia Erivo looks good to get 2 Emmy noms this year:

Lead Actress in a Limited Series – Genius: Aretha

Supporting Actress in a Limited Series – The Outsider

furbul
    Participant
    Topics:

But Genius premieres May 25th. It won’t be eligible for this year’s Emmys.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 454 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.