Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 454 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
thatnerdgreg
Riley Chow
  • thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Please, guys…keep right on discounting the broadcast network representative in the comedy series categories. They WILL upset your collective applecarts. Because their final season trumps any other comedy’s last go-round.

Theres literally zero evidence of it winning. It’s only shot at wins are Danson and Rudolph. Also don’t act like the last season is gonna seal the deal. It’s reviews were good, but it was still the show’s worst received season.

This is a battle between Maisel and Schitt’s Creek. Good Place isn’t coming anywhere near that Emmy. And I’m saying all this as a fan of the show.

David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Because their final season trumps any other comedy’s last go-round.

A brilliant series finale does not always (or even usually) an Emmy victor make, especially coming on the heels of a lackluster final season. I love Good Place, but almost 70% of the final season was utterly throwaway. I’d like the finale to get into Writing, but the strength of this one particular episode isn’t going to carry the series to double-digit nominations.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

and “Insecure” is also hanging in there, but it may be too late for that show to crack this field).

Insecure’s time slot alone (Sunday night April Spring comedy) feels like HBO at least have confidence in it.

Given that Insecure now has the same time-slot that they always kept for Girls, Silicon Valley, Veep & Barry this decade.

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

While that is true, part of me thinks that has more to do with what half-hour comedies they have available to air this spring and “Insecure” just being in the right place at the right time. But if HBO wants to throw more marketing muscle behind “Insecure,” they should do it by all means. At the very least, we know Issa is capable of an Actress nomination and she should make it in again.

gabspss
    Participant
    Topics:

With a possibility of several open slots for comedy serious, I wonder if “Modern Family” might make a return. This season has been fantastic and the best the show has been in 5 years…

I don’t watch MF, but everybody is saying the show is amazing. I think it can receive some noms like Ty Burell, maybe even Comedy Series.

I was also thinking about black-ish, which had a terrible season 5, but perhaps it can return since season 6 is definitely better.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  gabspss.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  gabspss.
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

I was also thinking about black-ish, which had a terrible season 5, but perhaps it can return since season 6 is definitely better.

Completely off-topic but Jenifer Lewis (likely) never being nominated for playing Ruby Johnson is gonna go down as one of the biggest “wtf’s” in Emmy history.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It really is not though.

I feel like Insecure is too old now to start growing in the nominations. It does not help that Yvonne Orji has made no impact outside of the show. Maybe Melina Matsoukas has an outside shot in directing if she returns this season, since her profile has grown since she last directed the show, picking up two DGA nominations?

Here is a manifestation of peak TV. Embargoes have lifted, but we have no reviews for Breeders and barely any for Devs, Dispatches from Elsewhere and The Plot Against America. I need to watch Devs; I have all of the episodes.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Completely off-topic but Jenifer Lewis (likely) never being nominated for playing Ruby Johnson is gonna go down as one of the biggest “wtf’s” in Emmy history.

black-ish is literally already forgotten it won’t be making an impact in “Emmy history”

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I would really love if Insecure made a comeback at the Emmys! I agree that it’s kind of late in the game for it to all of the sudden increase in noms, but it would be nice if at least the show was recognized once again with a Lead Actress nom for Issa Rae (her profile has increased significantly in the past year) and maybe for its writing and directing.

Who else could surprise in Comedy?

Any shot for Jim Carrey and his show Kidding??? Hard to imagine the likes of Carrey, Catherine Keener, Judy Greer, Frank Langella and Michel Gondry being ignored by an awards body, but I know Season 1 went unnoticed.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

As of 2/20, Rotten Tomatoes has a list of premieres:
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/tv-premiere-dates-2020/

Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

Post-Watchmen news:

Drama Series:
    Better Call Saul (AMC)
    Big Little Lies (HBO)
    The Crown (Netflix)
    The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
    Ozark (Netflix)
    Succession (HBO)
    Westworld (HBO)

Actress in a Drama Series:
    Jennifer Aniston – The Morning Show
    Olivia Colman – The Crown
    Jodie Comer – Killing Eve
    Nicole Kidman – Big Little Lies
    Elisabeth Moss – The Handmaid’s Tale
    Sandra Oh – Killing Eve

Actor in a Drama Series:
    Jason Bateman – Ozark
    Sterling K. Brown – This Is Us
    Brian Cox – Succession
    Bob Odenkirk – Better Call Saul
    Tobias Menzies – The Crown
    Jeremy Strong – Succession

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
    Helena Bonham Carter – The Crown
    Laura Dern – Big Little Lies
    Ann Dowd – The Handmaid’s Tale
    Julia Garner – Ozark
    Thandie Newton – Westworld
    Meryl Streep – Big Little Lies

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:
    Jonathan Banks – Better Call Saul
    Steve Carell – The Morning Show
    Billy Crudup – The Morning Show
    Kieran Culkin – Succession
    Aaron Paul – Westworld
    Bradley Whitford – The Handmaid’s Tale

Comedy Series:
    Better Things / Breeders (FX)
    Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
    The Good Place (NBC)
    The Kominsky Method (Netflix)
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime Video)
    Run (HBO)
    Schitt’s Creek (PopTV)

Actress in a Comedy Series:
    Pamela Adlon – Better Things
    Christina Applegate – Dead to Me
    Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Allison Janney – Mom
    Catherine O’Hara – Schitt’s Creek
    Merritt Wever – Run

Actor in a Comedy Series:
    Anthony Anderson – black-ish
    Ted Danson – The Good Place
    Larry David – Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Michael Douglas – The Kominsky Method
    Martin Freeman – Breeders
    Eugene Levy – Schitt’s Creek

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
    D’Arcy Carden – The Good Place
    Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Marin Hinkle – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Jane Lynch – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Annie Murphy – Schitt’s Creek
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge – Run

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series:
    Alan Arkin – The Kominsky Method
    Sterling K. Brown – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Ty Burrell – Modern Family
    Dan Levy – Schitt’s Creek
    Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Kenan Thompson – Saturday Night Live

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Hoster1.
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Was wondering about the chances of both Aniston & Witherspoon getting in lead and looking at all multiple Lead Acting contenders (Actor & Actress, Drama & Comedy). All have had a corresponding Series nomination except one duo — Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda for Grace and Frankie — whom made it in a field of seven.

So either TMS breaks through huge or they have an extended nominee list if both Aniston and Witherspoon get in.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Was wondering about the chances of both Aniston & Witherspoon getting in lead and looking at all multiple Lead Acting contenders (Actor & Actress, Drama & Comedy). All have had a corresponding Series nomination except one duo — Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda for Grace and Frankie — whom made it in a field of seven. So either TMS breaks through huge or they have an extended nominee list if both Aniston and Witherspoon get in.

Witherspoon is not getting in for TMS. She’s probably going to split the vote with herself. But if she ends up making it, my God do I hope it’s for BLL because she was cringe-worthy on TMS.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

Are “The Undoing” and “I Know This Much Is True” airing this season? The former was announced for May and the latter was scheduled for April, according to HBO press releases on The Futon Critic. Sundays at 9 are taken by “Westworld” from March 15th to May 3rd, and “The Plot Against America” runs from March 16th to April 20th, so conceivably “I Know This Much Is True” (announced for an April start) could premiere on April 27th and “The Undoing” (announced for a May premiere) could begin May 10th. But “The Third Day” has been announced for May 11th, so that would seemingly negate “I Know This Much Is True” launching two weeks earlier. My guess would be “I Know This Much Is True” is being pushed back until next cycle. Maybe we’ll hear more once “Westworld” premieres in a few weeks.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  moviefan617.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  moviefan617.
    Gaceru
    Participant
    Topics:

The Eddy confirmed as a Limited Series.

https://twitter.com/antovolk/status/1232016125719908353

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Gaceru.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Gaceru.
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 454 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.