Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Runners-Up?

2020 Emmys Runners-Up?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Riley Chow
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

It literally did. Also, Season 2 of The Crown received the same amount of nominations as Season 3 (way less than GoT and The Handmaids Tale) and yet everyone agrees it was the runner-up for series.

An acting win >> production design or costumes for series. And Ozark managed to beat The Crown head to head so that makes it more significant. The Crown also lost more ground than Ozark this year. I’ve yet to see anyone mention anything The Crown had over Ozark for it to be higher.

I don’t get the 2018 point because it’s not like we are solely looking at nominations. The Crown won big series bellwether categories like Casting + Directing + Lead Actress over THT (the other runner up contender) which never beat The Crown in any category that year. TC did not come close to achieving that performance this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Now what was the runner up in Comedy Series? I’m inclined to say Insecure as it was the only Comedy to win an Emmy over Schitt’s Creek this year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

An acting win >> production design or costumes for series. And Ozark managed to beat The Crown head to head so that makes it more significant. The Crown also lost more ground than Ozark this year. I’ve yet to see anyone mention anything The Crown had over Ozark for it to be higher. I don’t get the 2018 point because it’s not like we are solely looking at nominations. The Crown won big series bellwether categories like Casting + Directing + Lead Actress over THT (the other runner up contender) which never beat The Crown in any category that year. TC did not come close to achieving that performance this year.

You do have a point and I apologize for my lack of vision in this case but tbh I still think The Crown couldve been the runner-up. But there’s a case for both TC and Ozark. We also don’t know the full results of every category, so (unfortunately) we don’t have that data to base our logic. That’s why I said in my first post The Mandalorian was possibly the runner-up. It won several tech categories (in some categories over some big shows) and had visibility and buzz (to some extent).

Now what was the runner up in Comedy Series? I’m inclined to say Insecure as it was the only Comedy to win an Emmy over Schitt’s Creek this year.

Possibly The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. It won some tech categories it had never won before and in some of them beat extremely tough contenders like The Crown, Ozark and Stranger Things. I know we shouldnt base our predictions only on the tech categories but considering every comedy (minus Schitts) flopped above the line, its the only thing we have.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Possibly The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. It won some tech categories it never won before (Cinematography) and in some of them beat extremely tough contenders like The Crown, Ozark and Stranger Things. I know we shouldnt base our predictions only on the tech categories but considering every comedy (minus Schitts) flopped above the line, its the only thing we have.

This is true. I feel like if no show has Schitt’s or Fleabag style passion that Maisel could do very well next time round. I mean I’m not expecting it to (I think Insecure and Shadows are rising) but we keep forgetting how it won more creative arts Emmys than in 2018.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Was just on The Crown‘s Emmy page and I see that it only won costumes and production design? I had not processed how little it won, so I am even more confused now what the argument for it is.

Comedy is tricky. I do kind of question if The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is capable of winning series anymore or if there will just always be something, like maybe the Fleabag votes would have transferred to Barry. Then again, these stalwarts sometimes just get so big that they are able to hold off passion votes, like Veep on its third win over Atlanta or Modern Family on its fifth win over Orange is the New Black. So I guess that I would say The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel over Insecure this year if I had to guess, but I have held off on commenting because it is a tough one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Series runners-up: “Maisel,” “Ozark,” & “Unorthodox”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I do kind of question if The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is capable of winning series anymore or if there will just always be something, like maybe the Fleabag votes would have transferred to Barry.

I actually think this is spot on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

My guess would be:

Comedy

Series: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Actor: Ramy Youssef

Actress: Issa Rae

Supporting Actor: Tony Shalhboub

Supporting Actress: Alex Borstein

Directing: Comedy or Cabbage

Writing: On the Run

Drama

Series: Ozark

Actor: Brian Cox

Actress: Laura Linney

Supporting Actor: Mathew Macfadyen

Supporting Actress: Helena Bonham Carter

Directing: This is Not For Tears

Writing: Aberfan

Limited

Series: Unorthodox

Actor: Jeremy Irons

Actress: Shira Haas

Supporting Actor: Louis Gossett Jr

Supporting Actress: Jean Smart

Directing: This Extraordinary Being

Writing: Unorthodox

Dont know about the two variety ones cause I never bothered to think much about them cause I knew John Oliver and RuPaul were locks

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think the guest category runner ups were Wanda Sykes and Luke Kirby and that Maisel was second/third everywhere. Sure it got shut out in acting but so did all the other Series nominees because Schitt’s swept and yes it lost the guest acting categories but the buzz for Murphy and Rudolph was immense (Sykes probably would have won had Kamala not been chosen as the candidate) that had they gone Supporting they could have even upset Dan Levy and Annie Murphy. IMO the fact that Maisel received the same amount of non acting craft awards as last year (which was more than 2018) and orchestrated upsets in The Crown and Ozark in categories says this to me (even if they were distant runner ups in something like Actress).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.