Home Forums Television 2020 Golden Globes TV (Predictions Center Active)

2020 Golden Globes TV (Predictions Center Active)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 hours ago
replies
views
users
Stegeo
ginnala
Luca Giliberti
  • Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

’m betting that Scott, Shalhoub and Skarsgard are the only ones we’ll get right.

If we don’t count last year when they nominated both Alan Arkin and Henry Winkler, the last time that the Globes even nominated someone from Comedy here was in 2012, there were two comedy nominees that year – Max Greenfield and Eric Stonestreet, the last comedy winner here is Chris Colfer in 2010.

They never even nominated Louie Anderson (1 Emmys for this role), Tony Hale (2 Emmys for this role), Ty Burrell, (2 Emmys for this role), Brad Garrett (3 Emmys for this role) and Peter MacNicol (1 Emmys for this role).

They nominated, but never awarded Eric Stonestreet (2 Emmys for this role), David Hyde Pierce (4 Emmys for this role) and Sean Hayes (1 Emmy for this role).

The Emmys never rewarded Colfer or Robert Downey Jr. (one of the last three comedy winners here), so the only supporting comedy actor that was rewarded by both the Emmys and the Globes in the last 25 years is Jeremy Piven. He was awarded two times by the Emmy at that time, after the Globe’s win, he won a third consecutive Emmy. What a legend. I haven’t seen Enotrouge, but I have seen clips of him on YouTube, he seems funny and larger than life, but one note, Ari Gold awards God.

So, why will they now nominate Tony Shalhoub (after ignoring him for the first two seasons), only because he won the Emmy? This makes zero sense.

And Andrew Scott can be an interesting choice, buyt very strange, because the only two comedy supporting actors that they nominated in the last 20 years without having been nominated at the Emmys for those roles are Justin Kirk for Weeds and John Corbett for Sex and the City, but they loved those two shows way more than the Emmys, will they love Fleabag even more?

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

So, why will they now nominate Tony Shalhoub (after ignoring him for the first two seasons), only because he won the Emmy? This makes zero sense.

Because Tony Shalhoub is much more like a Henry Winkler and Alan Arkin than a Louie Anderson, Tony Hale, Ty Burrell, Brad Garrett or Peter MacNicol. No one is saying he is winning however so you need to calm down about that.

And Andrew Scott can be an interesting choice, buyt very strange, because the only two comedy supporting actors that they nominated in the last 20 years without having been nominated at the Emmys for those roles are Justin Kirk for Weeds and John Corbett for Sex and the City, but they loved those two shows way more than the Emmys, will they love Fleabag even more?

I expect Scott should get in for several reasons: hyped performance of the type the Globes love more than the Emmys (#hotpriest), still a fresh choice due to lack of Emmy nomination, in hindsight probably the biggest Emmy snub, a British name who’s been in enough stuff to be familiar to voters (comparable to Whishaw in this) and majorly he’s just fucking great in the role. Could be a GoldDerby thing though.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Ivo makes a really great point. Most of us are predicting Shalhoub because he won the Emmy but it seems Globes don’t operate that way here. There’s no other reason for them to nominate him at this point in the show when they have never nominated him before. I’m surprised they never nominated Burrell though.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Forwardswill, if Shalhoub was like Winkler and Arkin, he should have been nominated for season 1 or 2 like them.

I disagree about Scott, also, unlike Emmys, Globes are not fans of Sherlock and Black Mirror, so they do not know him, at least not very well.If he gets a nom, it will be like Kirk and Corbett, it will mean that they adored Fleabag.

Mukund, they never nominated Bowen either, only Vergara. I think that they never really liked the show.

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised they never nominated Burrell though.

I’m not. They just went with the loudest performances on the show (Vergara and Stonestreet) and they never were that fond of it in the first place. It won once because it was winning at the Emmys.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

I just started predicting him! I think if Schitt’s Creek is nominated for series, then he very well could get nominated.

Schitt’s is the 90 pound weakling here. It was a one-time fluke and the Globes will motor past it.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Ivo makes a really great point. Most of us are predicting Shalhoub because he won the Emmy but it seems Globes don’t operate that way here. There’s no other reason for them to nominate him at this point in the show when they have never nominated him before. I’m surprised they never nominated Burrell though.

I agree, but the field is so barren that he’ll probably get in anyway.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Schitt’s is the 90 pound weakling here. It was a one-time fluke and the Globes will motor past it.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Lance
    Participant
    Topics:

I really like Succession, but will it have enough momentum to get noms over Handmaids, Stranger Things, Killing Eve

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I really like Succession, but will it have enough momentum to get noms over Handmaids, Stranger Things, Killing Eve

It is comfortably ahead of all three at the Globes.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Forwardswill, if Shalhoub was like Winkler and Arkin, he should have been nominated for season 1 or 2 like them.

I disagree about Scott, also, unlike Emmys, Globes are not fans of Sherlock and Black Mirror, so they do not know him, at least not very well.If he gets a nom, it will be like Kirk and Corbett, it will mean that they adored Fleabag.

Winkler won his Emmy then was nominated. We can’t assume the other way around would have happened. Either way though my comparison point with Shalhoub and him and Arkin was quite clearly about how they are veteran performers of a certain age where all your examples of Emmy winners who missed at the Globes were not. It would make sense for Shalhoub to now get nominated now he’s won. That is not the same as predicting him just because he won.

As for your Scott argument, in the nicest way possible please open your mind. The Globes do not only watch shows that they nominate (although they nommed Cumberbatch for a Sherlock season when Scott was on it so your point is moot anyway). Scott has appeared in blockbusters like Spectre and Alice Through the Looking Glass plus, if you wanna talk more Globe nominees, he’s in Pride, John Adams and The Hour. They know who he is. And even if they didn’t, all my other points still stand as valid arguments. He’s not locked by any stretch but stop pretending like people are fools for predicting him.

Kellyemm
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a question that might seem silly.

Do we get a “submitted candidates” list similar to the Emmys at some point?

Harington being so high is odd.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Whatever you have to tell yourself.

And to join in on the Dan Levy conversation: I’m predicting him because why the hell not. Praying it gets the ball rolling for an Emmy nom and win for him.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a question that might seem silly. Do we get a “submitted candidates” list similar to the Emmys at some point?

No.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

EDIT: On the note of the shock that’s coming, I am very tempted to predict Dan Levy but I don’t want to jinx it. I just think it would be a very Globes thing to want to recognise a show that has broken through at the Emmys but in a way that allows them to still be the first to honour a specific part. As both the creator and breakthrough talent, Levy fits the bill perfectly.

Do you know what would be a very Globes thing; nominating Christian Slater for the fourth time. He has (suprisingly) never missed.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘2020 Golden Globes TV (Predictions Center Active)’ is closed to new replies.