Home Forums Television 2020 Golden Globes TV Predictions (Part 2)

2020 Golden Globes TV Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Lance
Mario Gomez
Ivo Stoyanov
  • mariogomez
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Big Little Lies will get only one nom (Streep). Honestly, the season starts great and ends terrible. Kidman and Dern are great, but i think the HFPA will replace them with people of fresh shows (Euphoria, Watchmen, Unbelievable).

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Mario Gomez.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Mario Gomez.
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Big Little Lies will get only one nom (Streep). Honestly, the season starts great and ends terrible. Kidman and Dern are great, but i think the HFPA will replace them with people of fresh shows (Euphoria, Watchmen, Unbelievable).

?

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

?

The supporting actress category (where Dern/Streep etc are competing with limited series contenders like Wever and Collette).

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Did all the people saying BLL ended with bad episodes like not watch the courtroom scenes between Kidman and Streep? Was I given an exclusive cut of the show or something because that shit was absolutely thrilling

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion. Watchmen is praised for its storyline not because Kings delivers a stellar performance. Every comment I’ve seen so far about the show have always been about the twists and new perspectives in the story. King’s performance is solid but nothing special or awards worthy.

This is wrong. I agree that the directing (episode 6 is the best directed episode of the year by the way) and writing are the best aspects of the show, but the performances are uniformly good and definitely have been praised by every publication. Smart was particularly raved for episode 3, Tim Blake Nelson was notably good in episode 5, and King is showing up everywhere on ‘performances of 2019’ lists. It’s not on the level of her performance on The Leftovers but she’s bringing nuance to a character that hasn’t allowed much room for it.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Did all the people saying BLL ended with bad episodes like not watch the courtroom scenes between Kidman and Streep? Was I given an exclusive cut of the show or something because that shit was absolutely thrilling

We did, the writing was horrible and the resolution was laughable, maybe you need a rewatch.

Both King and Zendaya will be in with Colman and Comer, Aniston and Kidman are fighting for the last spot.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Got a busy weekend ahead so have done my final predictions. Let me know what you all think!

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Aniston is not fighting for the last spot lmao. She’s fresh, it’s her big return to TV, she’s in. Kidman, Zendaya and King are the ones fighting for the 2 last spots. Zendaya is a perfect Globesy nominee, but with the field too crowded and her show not getting series nod, she’ll struggle. But I actually believe it’s gonna be Kidman who misses especially if they nominate her on the film side for Bombshell. And I’m also not very confident in Comer either. They did not give her even a nod for S1 and I’m not saying that shows lack of support, I’m just saying that they might be pissed they weren’t the ones to recognize her first, and Killing Eve is most likely not getting a series nod either.

You are really convincing, I removed Kidman and I put Aniston back. If Killing Eve is getting back, Comer will too.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

But I actually believe it’s gonna be Kidman who misses especially if they nominate her on the film side for Bombshell.

They nominated both Regina King and Amy Adams in both TV and Film sides, Kidman is a bigger name than both so I think she could get in for both (personally, not predicting her for Bombshell, though).

The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:

I think if anyone misses for King, it’ll be Comer.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

What is this nonsense about King not being a praised aspect of Watchmen? I suggest you go back and actually read the reviews. She could easily win.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

That is nice that you and the fans liked it, but the critics did turn on the show as the season progressed, as demonstrated by Rotten Tomatoes:
    Episode 1: 100% approval, 7.86 average rating
    Episode 2: 100% approval, 8.43 average rating
    Episode 3: 100% approval, 7.29 average rating
    Episode 4: 95% approval, 7.78 average rating
    Episode 5: 94% approval, 6.83 average rating
    Episode 6: 79% approval, 7.14 average rating
    Episode 7: 56% approval, 6.05 average rating

I’m also not very confident in Comer either. They did not give her even a nod for S1 and I’m not saying that shows lack of support, I’m just saying that they might be pissed they weren’t the ones to recognize her first, and Killing Eve is most likely not getting a series nod either.

I am not sure that the voters actually like Killing Eve. I think that Sandra Oh only won because she was hosting. The Globes tend to pair series with an acting award and Killing Eve was both the most-acclaimed new show of the year and it was international. They also managed to nominate both leads from The Americans and Homecoming, yet they snubbed Jodie Comer. Given the downturn in quality and the fact that they already paid their dues with the award that they gave it last year, it could be very easy for the Globes just to drop the show entirely this year.

Got a busy weekend ahead so have done my final predictions. Let me know what you all think!

Except for your admirable boldness in shutting out Apple TV+, these are suspiciously close to mine, so I guess that I approve?

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

That is nice that you and the fans liked it, but the critics did turn on the show as the season progressed, as demonstrated by Rotten Tomatoes:
    Episode 1: 100% approval, 7.86 average rating
    Episode 2: 100% approval, 8.43 average rating
    Episode 3: 100% approval, 7.29 average rating
    Episode 4: 95% approval, 7.78 average rating
    Episode 5: 94% approval, 6.83 average rating
    Episode 6: 79% approval, 7.14 average rating
    Episode 7: 56% approval, 6.05 average rating

If viewed in a vacuum, yes. But given that we all know when the Andrea Arnold/Jean Marc Vallee stuff broke it doesn’t take much to suggest that the last two episodes were reviewed weaker for reasons other than the actual quality.

Thank you for highlighting though because if anything it shows that the season had 3 outstanding episodes, 2 great episodes, 1 good episode and a weak episode. Doesn’t exactly justify a consensus that the ending made it a bad season to me.

Except for your admirable boldness in shutting out Apple TV+, these are suspiciously close to mine, so I guess that I approve?

Haha I made my penultimate ones after watching your slugfest with Luca and Zach so that’s probably why there’s similarities.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘2020 Golden Globes TV Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.