Home Forums Television 2021 BAFTA TV Awards

2021 BAFTA TV Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 172 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
craigkell
AMG
  • Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Gosh it was so infuriating when she got snubbed for The Virtues when she was better than the entire lineup.

I actually preferred Helen Behan to her in The Virtues, but she deserved a nod full stop. Still not over that series going home BAFTA-less.

I’m hoping that My Name is Lizzie turns out well given the subject matter.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Sorry to hijack the 20/21 thread again but the Jimmy McGovern drama Time has wrapped filming. Expect that and stars Sean Bean and Stephen Graham to be in contention for the 2022 BAFTAs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Separate note but I feel quite confident after watching the first episode of Finding Alice that it’s not going to be a big contender. I wouldn’t be surprised if Keeley Hawes got into Actress though because I can see her performance making it to the longlist and impressing the jury.

It’s a Sin on the other hand looks like it might be a massive contender next year. So excited for it because I will always watch anything Russell T. Davies writes and I am slightly biased towards Lydia West because she’s related to an old and close friend haha.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Separate note but I feel quite confident after watching the first episode of Finding Alice that it’s not going to be a big contender. I wouldn’t be surprised if Keeley Hawes got into Actress though because I can see her performance making it to the longlist and impressing the jury.

It’s a Sin on the other hand looks like it might be a massive contender next year. So excited for it because I will always watch anything Russell T. Davies writes and I am slightly biased towards Lydia West because she’s related to an old and close friend haha.

I’ve noticed some people aren’t that keen on Finding Alice so far, but I’m definitely looking forward to seeing It’s a Sin.

Did you watch The Pembrokeshire Murders? I enjoyed it though it will probably get lost amongst all the Mini-Series candidates this year. Keith Allen was certainly nomination-worthy for his sinister turn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve noticed some people aren’t that keen on Finding Alice so far, but I’m definitely looking forward to seeing It’s a Sin. Did you watch The Pembrokeshire Murders? I enjoyed it though it will probably get lost amongst all the Mini-Series candidates this year. Keith Allen was certainly nomination-worthy for his sinister turn.

The problem with Finding Alice is that it doesn’t know what it is trying to be. Hawes is excellent as always and her role seems very baity so I can see her slip in but in spite of her being excellent in her scenes with Lumley and Havers (who were both excellent too) it felt like they were in a different programme. Hawes seemed like she was in a serious drama whilst Lumley and Havers were in a family comedy. I can see it get a few craft nods though but at times the show felt like it was a production put on by university students.

Can’t wait for It’s a Sin tonight! Have not seen The Pembrokeshire Murders.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Call My Agent is picking up buzz in the UK now, so could easily get into International this year.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Trying not too hijack the 2021 thread again but I think it’s fair to say that It’s a Sin is probably getting at least the Miniseries nomination at the 2022 awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated Predictions. The gifs represent what I see as the frontrunners in each category.

Drama Series

– Bridgeton (Netflix)
    – The Crown (Netflix)
    – Gangs of London (Sky Atlantic)
    – I Hate Suzie (Sky Atlantic)

Mini-series

– Des (ITV)
    – I May Destroy You (BBC One)
    – Normal People (BBC Three)
    – Small Axe (BBC One)

Scripted Comedy

– Feel Good (Channel 4)
    – Out of Her Mind (BBC Two)
    – Staged (BBC One)
    – There She Goes (BBC Two)

Actor

– John Boyega, Small Axe
    – Matthew MacFadyen, Quiz
    – Paul Mescal, Normal People
    – Josh O’Connor, The Crown
    – Shaun Parkes, Small Axe
    – David Tennant, Des

Actress

– Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    – Emma Corrin, The Crown
    – Daisy Edgar-Jones, Normal People
    – Cush Jumbo, Deadwater Fell
    – Keeley Hawes, Honour
    – Billie Piper, I Hate Suzie

S. Actor

– Jonathan Bailey, Bridgerton
    – Sacha Dhawan, Doctor Who
    – Paapa Essiedu, I May Destroy You
    – Malachi Kirby, Small Axe
    – Daniel Mays, Des
    – Steve Toussaint, Small Axe

S. Actress

– Gillian Anderson, The Crown
    – Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown
    – Leila Farzad, I Hate Suzie
    – Lesley Manville, Save Me Too
    – Weruche Opia, I May Destroy You
    – Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve

Comedy Performance (Female)

– Daisy Cooper, This Country
    – Jessica Hynes, There She Goes
    – Gbemisola Ikumelo, Famalam
    – Aimee Lou Wood, Sex Education
    – Mae Martin, Feel Good
    – Sara Pascoe, Out of Her Mind

Comedy <b>Performance (Male)</b>

– Asa Butterfield, Sex Education
    – Ncuti Gatwa, Sex Education
    – Samson Kayo, Famalam
    – Guz Khan, Man Like Mobeen
    – Michael Sheen, Staged
    – David Tennant, Staged

International

– Mrs. America (FX/BBC Two)
    – The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
    – Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
    – Unorthodox (Netflix)

Moment of the Year (frontrunners now in bold)

– Coronation Street (Yasmeen hits Geoff)
    – The Crown (Di and Charles greet the crowds in Australia)
    – Doctor Who (The Spy Master’s identity is revealed)
    – I May Destroy You (Arabella finds her rapist)
    – The Mandalorian (The Mandalorian removes his helmet)
    – Sex Education (“It’s just a stupid bus”)

Director – Fiction

– Lenny Abrahamson, Normal People (“Episode 5”)
    – Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    – Gareth Evans, Gangs of London (“Episode 1”)
    – Steve McQueen, Small Axe (“Lovers Rock”)

Spoiler: Lena Dunham, Industry

Writer – Drama

– Alice Birch and Sally Rooney, Normal People (“Episode 3”)
    – Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    – James Graham, Quiz (“Episode 2”)
    – Lucy Prebble, I Hate Suzie (“Acceptance”)

Writer – Comedy

– Joe Hampson and Mae Martin, Feel Good (“Episode 1”)
    – Laurie Nunn, Sex Education (“Episode 1”)
    – Sara Pascoe, Out of Her Mind (“I Don’t”)
    – Sarah Crawford and Shaun Pye, There She Goes (“Speech and Language”)

Editing – Fiction

– The Crown (“Terra Nullius”)
    – Gangs of London (“Episode 1”)
    –  I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    – Small Axe (“Mangrove”)

Costume Design

– Bridgerton
    – The Crown
    – I May Destroy You
    Noughts + Crosses

Makeup and Hair Design

– A Suitable Boy
    – Bridgerton
    The Crown 
    – Noughts + Crosses

Production Design

– Bridgerton
    – The Crown
    – His Dark Materials
    I May Destroy You

Original Music

– Bridgerton
    – I Hate Suzie
    Industry
    – Small Axe

Photography – Fiction

– The Crown
    – I May Destroy You
    – Industry
    Normal People

Titles and Graphic Identity

– Bridgerton
    – I Hate Suzie
    Noughts + Crosses
    – Quiz

Special, Visual and Graphic Effects

– Bridgerton
    – The Crown
    His Dark Materials
    – Noughts + Crosses

Sound : Fiction

– The Crown
    Gangs of London
    – Noughts + Crosses
    – Small Axe

Scripted Casting

– I May Destroy You
    Industry
    – Normal People
    – Small Axe

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Both Actor and Actress should be interesting here because I don’t think it’s going to necessarily be the two horse race between Coel and Piper and the easy win for Tennant that some of us thought it would be. I think both Corrin and O’Connor are big threats to win under the tape system.

Although Actress is an incredibly tough one to predict for me. Whilst Coel doesn’t necessarily have a particularly showy tape I anticipate I May Destroy You will be the most nominated show (by quite a wide margin) and that it will sweep like Chernobyl and Killing Eve did and that it doesn’t necessarily matter if Coel doesn’t have a particularly showy tape. Piper has the loudest set of tapes to choose from and Fairytale and Terra Nullius are both winning tapes for Corrin.

It reminds me of the race between Claire Foy, Thandie Newton and Molly Windsor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Yeah I’m expecting it to be between Michaela and Billie.

It reminds me of the race between Claire Foy, Thandie Newton and Molly Windsor.

I was rooting for the fourth nominee (Sinéad Keenan) to win that year for Little Boy Blue. Was so gutted when she lost to Molly Windsor (who I hadn’t seen at the time). Great category though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Similar to what has been done in the past by @hoster1 for the Emmy season I thought why not do a Gold Derby Personal Awards for the BAFTAs for those of us on here who are avid followers of it all haha.

The rules for it are the same as the rules for the BAFTA Television awards and here is how you can participate in the poll:

– The category slots will be the same as the BAFTAs (4 in each series category and 6 in each acting category). Choose your two favourite shows in each of the programme categories and three for each of the acting categories. DM me with your picks by 2 March 2021 at 9AM GMT.

– Each programme has to have aired between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020.

– There are also categories for Writing and Direction. Each category will have 6 slots and only productions eligible for the acting categories are eligible.

– You don’t have to fill out answers for each category but it would be preferable.

– If you make a mistake with a placement (I can understand there may be some category confusion) I will be on hand to help you place the performer in the correct category.

To clarify these are each of the categories that will be a part of the inaugural Gold Derby BAFTA Television Choice Awards:

Best Drama Series (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best Mini Series (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best TV Movie (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best Scripted Comedy (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best Comedy and Entertainment Programme** (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best Documentary Programme (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best International Programme (you have 2 voting options and there will be 4 slots)
    Best Moment of the Year* (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best Actress in a Leading Role (you have 3 voting options and there will be 46 slots)
    Best Actor in a Leading Role (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best S. Actress in a Leading Role (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best S. Actor in a Leading Role (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best Writing (Comedy) (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best Writing (Drama) (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best Direction (Fiction) (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)
    Best Ensemble* (you have 3 voting options and there will be 6 slots)

*Both international and British productions are eligible in this category.
    **Reality Competition programmes like The Great British Bake Off are also eligible here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Drama Series race is an interesting one too because The Crown has lost so many times that I am starting to question whether it can win this time round but it is having such a strong resurgence with awards bodies left, right and centre and this season finally has a strong set of tapes that it can ride itself to a win for. But then I Hate Suzie feels like Patrick Melrose in the sense that the continuation of the show’s arc through various stylistic choices gives it a strength in both the series race and actress race.

I feel strangely confident ruling everything else out for the Drama Series award?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I’m glad I watched Des before filling out my personal ballot, because Tennant is going straight to the top of my list. He was phenomenal.

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN in all categories (inc. CAREY MULLIGAN & Emerald Fennell in Screenplay)

THE FATHER in all categories (inc. Best Picture, ANTHONY HOPKINS, Olivia Colman & Adapted Screenplay)

Lo Si (Diane Warren) for Original Song

Chloe Zhao for Director

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just a reminder everyone that you only have two weeks to fill in your ballots for the GD users Bafta choice awards!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Can someone do me a favour and list some drama series elegible for our personal ballots, the only ones I can think of that I’ve seen are The Crown and Killing Eve, but I’m sure i’ve watched more

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN in all categories (inc. CAREY MULLIGAN & Emerald Fennell in Screenplay)

THE FATHER in all categories (inc. Best Picture, ANTHONY HOPKINS, Olivia Colman & Adapted Screenplay)

Lo Si (Diane Warren) for Original Song

Chloe Zhao for Director

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.