Home Forums Television 2021 BAFTA TV Awards

2021 BAFTA TV Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 247 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
21 hours ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
craigkell
AMG
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The only surprises here are Paul Mescal and I Hate Suzie‘s losses. Although the latter’s loss isn’t so surprising because of RTS’s recent trend of awarding youth focused programming, the shut out of Normal People is a big shock.

Whilst I wouldn’t look into Michaela Coel’s win here so much because they do seem to like her (they are the only group to have nominated her for Black Earth Rising), there is no denying that this shows how strong she is for her to manage to win over Glenda Jackson with her widely considered undeniable performance.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Just want to reiterate that I am not ruling out either Piper or Corrin just yet (they have incredibly showy tapes after all) and am only now starting to predict Coel to win. However it’s worth pointing out that overdue narratives don’t amount to anything here. Neither do “they already have one” mentalities”. Just last year Helena Bonham Carter (who was overdue on the TV side and had a baity af tape) lost. She also lost to Olivia Colman (in a show that swept series) who won her third BAFTA. Claire Foy lost to Sarah Lancashire (who won her second BAFTA).

I’m not saying you are instantly not getting a win if you’ve won before lol. And I don’t think using the examples of Lancashire or Colman is useful considering none of them were expected/going to win multiple BAFTAs for the same show. I’m keeping Michaela at #1 atm since she’s looking very strong but I think she is still vulnerable enough to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

none of them were expected/going to win multiple BAFTAs for the same show

There are still many other examples of performers who have won multiple BAFTAs for the same show. Michaela herself won two in the same year for Chewing Gum. Just last year Jamie Demetriou won 3.

Again I don’t disagree with the notion that Michaela can lose (I in fact had her third because I thought this race would end up like the 2018 one between Foy, Newton and Windsor with Coel being the Foy, Piper being the Newton and Corrin being the Windsor). However I do disagree with the idea that she could/would lose as a result of a BAFTA jury wanting to not award her another BAFTA.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

There are still many other examples of performers who have won multiple BAFTAs for the same show. Michaela herself won two in the same year for Chewing Gum. Just last year Jamie Demetriou won 3.

I’d argue the drama categories with all of limited, single and continuing dramas competing there are a tad more competitive than comedy for such sweeps in general lol and to be clear dual wins weren’t part of my point, considering I’m sure Michaela is walking away with at least two awards. 3 or potentially 4 wins otoh do give me a pause.

However I do disagree with the idea that she could/would lose as a result of a BAFTA jury wanting to not award her another BAFTA.

I don’t think it’s a result of that alone. More a combination of various factors coming together to make that happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

3 or potentially 4 wins otoh do give me a pause.

I cannot see her winning 4. As I said before I feel fairly confident not predicting her to win Directing because since the two writer categories split into comedy and drama only one show has won both and that was Three Girls. But that programme wasn’t written by the same person. So whilst I do think Michaela will do very well this year, I don’t see her winning directing. Especially whilst she’s up against the flashier and more acclaimed works of Steve McQueen and Lenny Abrahamson.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Perhaps I’m overthinking this because a lot of the time my own personal tastes don’t line up with BAFTA’s but is there a possibility Billie Piper is snubbed? She’s not been nominated anywhere at either the Broadcasting Press Guilds or RTS even though both Prebble and the show were nominated.

I guess this comparison is a little bit flawed because Save Me was more of an ensemble show and <i>I Hate Suzie </i>is more or less a woman show but I can see I Hate Suzie become the new Save Me here where its a topical “important” drama that does very well in nominations and gets nominated in Writing but ultimately misses for the lead and face of the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

I’m going to add In My Skin to my predictions for Drama Series. Not only did it win the RTS Award but it’s also been commissioned for a second series which would make it eligible for a nod there.

I’m planning to watch it later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Having binge-watched In My Skin, I would definitely root for it to contest Best Drama Series. It would be similar to when My Mad Fat Diary got nominated a few years ago.

I’d even go as far as to acknowledge the performances of Gabrielle Creevy (who won Best Actress at the Welsh BAFTAs) and the ever-consistent Jo Hartley. I could see the latter scrape a Supporting Actress nom, but it depends how much BAFTA like it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I didn’t realize Fleabag never won a Series bafta either. Bafta+Emmy series winners, last 15 years:

succession

handmaid

breaking bad

mad men

people vs. oj simpson

chernobyl

Waw, only masterpieces. Especially, the 4 dramas, all of them would enter in my top 5 of all time favorites, I am missing only The Americans. People vs. O.J. Simpson and Chernobyl I liked a lot, but are not part of my personal favorites (I must be the only person that loved Versace more than O. J. Simpson). They are the two most beloved miniseries between the masses though. So it will make sense for The Queens Gambit to join them as number 3 (number 7 overall).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Ted Lasso is winning international. Like Succession it has British sensibilities (roughly half of the writers room are British, half are American) but it also is grounded around something that is quite significant in British culture (football) and features a host of British actors as a part of its ensemble (some of whom are quite well known like Anthony Head).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I think Ted Lasso is winning international. Like Succession it has British sensibilities (roughly half of the writers room are British, half are American) but it also is grounded around something that is quite significant in British culture (football) and features a host of British actors as a part of its ensemble (some of whom are quite well known like Anthony Head).

I have not watched it, it is possible, but I am still betting on The Queen Gambit, it is literally the only miniseries comparable to Chernobyl, People vs O. J. Simpson would be the closest to those two. But yeah, they might go for Comedy this time, although, when they did that for the last time?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

I think Sian Clifford is being underestimated here, her first breakout drama tv role & it’s in a very popular series BAFTA are guaranteed to have watched & they must like her to have given the comedy award to her over Phoebe last year.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

This is my wishlist for acting nominees (some likely, others not so much):

Gillian Anderson, THE CROWN
    John Boyega: SMALL AXE: RED, WHITE AND BLUE
    Jodie Comer, TALKING HEADS: HER BIG CHANCE
    Emma Corrin, THE CROWN
    Gabrielle Creevy, IN MY SKIN
    Lelia Farzad, I HATE SUZIE
    Jo Hartley, IN MY SKIN
    Lennie James, SAVE ME TOO
    Malachi Kirby, SMALL AXE: MANGROVE
    Sarah Lancashire, TALKING HEADS: AN ORDINARY WOMAN
    Josh O’Connor, THE CROWN
    Shaun Parkes, SMALL AXE: MANGROVE
    Billie Piper, I HATE SUZIE
    Rochenda Sandall, TALKING HEADS: THE OUTSIDE DOG
    Fiona Shaw, KILLING EVE
    Michael Sheen, QUIZ

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

Keeping my wish list fairly small here – and I don’t think the last two in particular have a chance – but for me I’d love to see:

Leila Farzad, Billie Piper – I Hate Suzie

Emma Corrin, Josh O’Connor – The Crown

Sian Clifford, Michael Sheen – Quiz

Helen Baxendale – Noughts and Crosses

Diane Morgan – Mandy. Not sure where this stands in terms of eligibility though, as each episode is only fifteen minutes and if I’m right, BAFTA don’t have a short-form category like the Emmys do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    stuffy
    Topics:

I hope Ruth Wilson gets some kind of nomination somewhere for HDM before the show ends. Her and her character is what keeps me interested. No disrespect to everyone else, but she’s stealing every scene without even trying. I find the show kinda boring without her character. Great visuals but the rest is kinda boring.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 247 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.