Home Forums Television 2021 BAFTA TV Awards

2021 BAFTA TV Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 242 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
craigkell
AMG
  • Profile picture
    stuffy
    Topics:

I hope Ruth Wilson gets some kind of nomination somewhere for HDM before the show ends. Her and her character is what keeps me interested. No disrespect to everyone else, but she’s stealing every scene without even trying. I find the show kinda boring without her character. Great visuals but the rest is kinda boring.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

I know it’s not happening but after his tragic passing, I’d love to see Paul Ritter land a posthumous nomination in Best Actor (Comedy) for Friday Night Dinner.

Just a shame that voting ended two months ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the nominees are announced?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the nominees are announced?

Wednesday 28th April

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What makes the TV awards so exciting is like they do now with film, they have long-lists. But they have two instead.  They have a long-list of 15 where the members of the academy vote in series and the acting categories. That is then cut down to 6 (presumably it will be 8 this year in the acting categories considering they’ve gone up to 6 nominees) which goes the jury who then decides on who makes the final cut.

So someone like Olivia Colman could be as high as third with the members but they miss because they’re undeserving performance isn’t particularly showy. Likewise someone like Sacha Dhawan or Tom Brooke could be 6th or 8h for a guest performance but they easily make the cut because of how incredibly showy their work is.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

BAFTA TV is so unpredictable but even if they prefer Olivia to Emma which they may, I can’t see Olivia competing with Michaela. Olivia isn’t campaigning for the crown & Michaela is having a career surge with I May Destroy You. Olivia’s career surge is in film currently and this award would obviously mean more to Michaela at present. so let’s hope.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

What makes the TV awards so exciting is like they do now with film, they have long-lists. But they have two instead. They have a long-list of 15 where the members of the academy vote in series and the acting categories. That is then cut down to 6 (presumably it will be 8 this year in the acting categories considering they’ve gone up to 6 nominees) which goes the jury who then decides on who makes the final cut.

I’d love to see the TV longlists for BAFTA. A shame they don’t post them compared to the film ones.

Changing the subject completely, I’ve been watching the second series of Criminal: UK and found myself blown away by Kit Harington’s performance in the second episode. Would definitely like to see him up for Best Supporting Actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

@wolfali What happened with the personal BAFTA Awards you were doing?

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I hope Ruth Wilson gets some kind of nomination somewhere for HDM before the show ends. Her and her character is what keeps me interested. No disrespect to everyone else, but she’s stealing every scene without even trying. I find the show kinda boring without her character. Great visuals but the rest is kinda boring.

she’s on a pretty bad show that isn’t exactly a ratings performer. At least HBO ones are blah so no wonder HBO doesn’t bother to camapign it. But yes, she’s the only reason to watch that slog with lots of amateurish overacting by the younger cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

@wolfali What happened with the personal BAFTA Awards you were doing?

Soon!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We talk about the Actress race a lot but I’m very interested in the Actor one here. David Tennant won at the BPG awards and Shaun Parkes won at RTS and both have incredibly showy performances. Parkes arguably has a showier tape on the basis that his “loud” performance is contained in one episode whilst Tennant’s is spread across three but it’s going to be very interesting to see who this goes to.

It could be Keeley Hawes vs Jodie Comer all over again. The overdue veteran losing to the rising star within the industry in a showy transformative performance in a bigger contender.

There’s also Josh O’Connor.

What do you guys think?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVNutter
    Topics:

The Entertainment category is going to be interesting to watch as it was the category argueably most affected by the pandemic that year in terms of immediate effect.

Likely nominees could be:

Strictly Come Dancing – The Voice UK – The Masked Singer – Little Mix: The Voice – I’m A Celebrity: Get Me Out Of Here (or is that constructed reality?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

We talk about the Actress race a lot but I’m very interested in the Actor one here. David Tennant won at the BPG awards and Shaun Parkes won at RTS and both have incredibly showy performances. Parkes arguably has a showier tape on the basis that his “loud” performance is contained in one episode whilst Tennant’s is spread across three but it’s going to be very interesting to see who this goes to.

It could be Keeley Hawes vs Jodie Comer all over again. The overdue veteran losing to the rising star within the industry in a showy transformative performance in a bigger contender.

There’s also Josh O’Connor.

What do you guys think?

I’d love to see both Parkes AND Boyega make this category but I fear that BAFTA might only pick one. Gun to head, I’d prefer Parkes.

Otherwise, Tennant, Mescal and O’Connor would be strong candidates too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

The Entertainment category is going to be interesting to watch as it was the category argueably most affected by the pandemic that year in terms of immediate effect. Likely nominees could be: Strictly Come Dancing – The Voice UK – The Masked Singer – Little Mix: The Voice – I’m A Celebrity: Get Me Out Of Here (or is that constructed reality?)

Manifesting a Great Pottery Throwdown nomination. Two months of pure joy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Am I the only one who thinks Paul Mescal could to be this year’s “surprise snub”. He strikes me as a Richard Madden slap the stud type that BAFTA has ignored as of late (apart from I guess Callum Turner last year).

It also doesn’t help that outside of episode 10 it’s a very “quiet” performance which is something juries have tended to also miss as of late and he doesn’t really feel like he has the “under awarded” shine that Jared Harris had last year after losing everything and Daisy Edgar-Jones has this year after missing the Emmys. I think Normal People will do well in nominations but I can’t help but wonder if Daisy Edgar-Jones will be the sole acting nomination for the show.

I also wonder if Billie Piper could end up like Carey Mulligan did on the film side and miss whilst her project does very well otherwise in nominations? If nominated I probably will have her in my top 3 for the win but it’s a competitive field after all and she missed at the BPG awards and RTS even though I Hate Suzie did very well at both of those.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.