( +2 hidden )
April 28, 2021 at 12:30 am #1204232835
Has anyone seen Adult Material, Gangs of London and Save Me Too? Are they good?
Adult Material is excellent, didn’t care for Gangs of London (its well made just not my thing) but it’s the type of widely popular show that does well in Series (ie Peaky Blinders)
Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”April 28, 2021 at 12:42 am #1204232845
Happiest with the Ghosts comedy series nom. Favourite comedy of last year and wish it got more attention stateside before the CBS remake startsApril 28, 2021 at 12:51 am #1204232853
Still don’t get why Small Axe is a Mini-Series and not a set of Single Dramas…is there a character who pops up in more than one that I missed?
That would force it to compete in Mini rather than Single.
Disappointed by the small love shown for Quiz (it deserves more) and for the total shutouts of Des and The Salisbury Poisonings.
What’s the record for nominations in successive series of a show? (Outside of Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect who was a BAFTA giant). Jodie Comer is three on the bounce now and BAFTA normally mix it up – especially after a win.
Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)April 28, 2021 at 12:52 am #1204232857
I don’t know if it was expected or not, but I LOVE the Leila Farzad nominationApril 28, 2021 at 12:54 am #1204232863
These are such great nominations! Paul Mescal didn’t miss after all. Happy for Daisy Haggard’s nomination as well.April 28, 2021 at 12:56 am #1204232867
Paapa Essiedu would steamroll the Supporting category, so it will be interesting to see how he fairs against Boyega in Lead – and who steps up in Supporting.
Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)April 28, 2021 at 1:01 am #1204232870
I was first surprised with Lovecraft Country‘s nomination then I realized its standout performance came from Wunmi Mosaku.April 28, 2021 at 1:04 am #1204232876
Surprise to see Little America getting in but it deserves it so much. It was severely overlooked this year.April 28, 2021 at 1:16 am #1204232894
As a Keeley Hawes fan I expect very little from the BAFTA TV acting juries, nice to see Helena nominated I doubt they’ll give it to her though
FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIESApril 28, 2021 at 1:18 am #1204232896
It’s the strength of the tape with a jury though…don’t just go for who had a great series – who has the tape.
Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)April 28, 2021 at 1:19 am #1204232900
Wow I just got up and saw these! Here’s my breakdown on a predictions level.
The biggest shocks are not Letitia Wright and Paapa Essiedu getting nominated but the fact they got nominated in lead. Some truly Keeley Hawes in Bodyguard stuff going on there lol.
Always had a feeling Anderson would miss (although I wasn’t bold enough to predict her) but no Emma Corrin or David Tennant? WOW. The former is less surprising as even without Letitia Wright her category was incredibly competitive. Pleasantly surprised to see Paul Mescal in. I always knew that Hayley Squires would get nominated by the jury but never did I anticipate BAFTA would go overboard for Adult Material. Also stunned to see Criminal get so many things. Maybe I need to watch both haha.
Colman getting snubbed was an easy prediction. So was the drama series lineup (weak field although each nominee is very deserving!) Glad to have also called Aimee Lou Wood (she has a great tape to potentially win for), Unorthodox (BAFTA loves to nominate European shows in this category and the fact they awarded When They See Us last year in spite of its early release was telling), Shaun Parkes, Malachi Kirby, Helena Bonham Carter, Leila Farzad, The Crown in directing (although pleasantly surprised that Caron makes it in and not Julian Jarrold) and that Save Me‘s sole nomination would be Drama Series.
Happy to see BAFTA continue to embrace Sex Education and that Emma Mackie could get in but still no Asa Butterfield? Sigh. Whilst I wouldn’t call it an under-performance per se, it still feels quite shocking to not see I May Destroy You as the nomination leader. Doesn’t affect it’s Emmy chances at all but it might make it more vulnerable in Mini Series. Also shocking is Little America getting in here. Perhaps we need to keep an eye out on it in the future at the Emmys.
A few other interesting things to note:
– Small Axe breaks the nominations record previously held by Chernobyl and Killing Eve with its 15 nominations.
– Small Axe being in Mini Series rather than Single Drama (where it would have been eligible as BAFTA haven’t adjusted their rules like the Emmys) suggests it was submitted there by the BBC. Same with Paapa Essiedu, John Boyega, Shaun Parkes and Letitia Wright’s lead nominations.
– Lovecraft Country continues the four year trend of BAFTA nominating HBO in the international category (Euphoria, Succession, Big Little Lies, The Night Of).
– Both The Great and Devs making it into categories below the line per BAFTA’s flexibility for British talent on American productions there (see Jesse Armstrong and Michelle Clapton last year) is fascinating. The shocking shut outs of Bridgerton and Ted Lasso means we’ll never know whether they were competing in international or the main categories at BAFTA but is also more shocking as the below the line awards are not juried.
– Sex Education‘s appearance in casting suggests that the category (which did not exist pre 2020) is not limited to new shows.
– No lone Sound : Fictions noms this year!
– Feel Good makes it in for Mae Martin but the auteur driven show fails to get in elsewhere (in spite of winning at RTS). Ghosts surges like Criminal after only getting a Title Design nomination last year. Daisy May Cooper finally brings Charlie Cooper along for the ride. Daisy Haggard makes it in for Breeders but no Martin Freeman.
– The Crown surges below the line after its slump last year (whilst it was predicted, is still a rarity for shows to do such a thing at BAFTA after spiralling down). Jodie Comer gets her third consecutive nomination in lead actress for Killing Eve in spite of winners usually being dropped. With her nomination for Thirteen in 2017, she now is tied with Maggie Smith, Peggy Ashcroft and Geraldine James in this category for nominations and is only behind the likes of Helen Mirren, Francesca Annis, Judi Dench and Julie Walters.
– Matthew Macfadyen and Helen McRory’s snubs as well as a few other notable ones suggest that Quiz didn’t make it far enough with the membership overall for them to be seen by the jury.
– Small Axe makes it into Writing for “Mangrove”.
FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")April 28, 2021 at 1:24 am #1204232904
What are peoples thoughts on BAFTA updating their acting categories for the TV ceremony and having the following (just a thought I’ve had there’s nothing going on at BAFTA to change them):
Leading Comedy Performance
Supporting Comedy Performance
Leading Drama/Mini-Series Performance
Supporting Drama/Mini-Series Performance
Best Single Drama Performance
Best Continuing Drama Performance
Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)April 28, 2021 at 1:30 am #1204232908
Gangs of London
I Hate Suzie
Save Me Too
Is this the first time that terrestrial channels are completely shutout? As the first three are Sky Atlantic originals and the other being Netflix.
Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”April 28, 2021 at 1:31 am #1204232912
I love these BAFTA nominations.
It’s such a thrill to go into the Acting categories and not feel like they’re a done deal with Emma Corrin and Gillian Anderson. There’s minimal categories where I look at the nominees and think the winner’s already decided. I would maybe only say this for Coel in Lead Actress. Even miniseries could go one of three ways.
Comedy: I am thrilled to see Aimee Lou Wood recognised – as part of the supporting ensemble, I thought she might be ignored so I’m glad BAFTA took notice of her phenomenal arc. Also happy to see Emma Mackey here. I haven’t seen three out of four of the comedy nominees so would have liked to see Sex Ed get a nom here. Would love to see Paul Ritter get a posthumous win. Only performance I’m sad not to see here is Diane Morgan for Mandy.
Drama/Miniseries: First, The Crown. I’m baffled by Tobias Menzies. Really baffled. To nominate him over Corrin/Colman/Anderson when he had no real showcase in S4 I don’t really get. I’m not a huge fan of Anderson’s Thatcher, so am glad of the awards reprieve. I’m not too sad about Corrin and Colman getting shut out, their time will come at the Emmys. But their shutouts make me all the more baffled about Menzies.
I think Coel’s got Lead Actress and Miniseries wrapped up and she deserves it, but I’d love to see Piper get Actress, and I Hate Suzie get drama. Lead Actor I think could go one of three ways – Boyega, Parkes or O’Connor.
In other categories, here for Race Across the World, the Murdoch documentary, Claudia Winkleman always, and of course most of all, mee-cro-wah-vay.
Adult Material totally passed me by. I’ll have to seek it out.
Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose"), Kate Winslet, Julianne Nicholson ("Mare of Easttown"), Punam Patel ("Special")
The topic ‘2021 BAFTA TV Awards’ is closed to new replies.