Home Forums Television 2021 BAFTA TV Awards

2021 BAFTA TV Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 608 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
craigkell
Gabarnes43
  • Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

What are peoples thoughts on BAFTA updating their acting categories for the TV ceremony and having the following (just a thought I’ve had there’s nothing going on at BAFTA to change them): Leading Comedy Performance Supporting Comedy Performance Leading Drama/Mini-Series Performance Supporting Drama/Mini-Series Performance Best Single Drama Performance Best Continuing Drama Performance

I’ve always wondered why they don’t split comedy by supporting vs lead, but they do for drama/miniseries.

FYC:
    Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose"), Kate Winslet, Julianne Nicholson ("Mare of Easttown"), Punam Patel ("Special")

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

Matthew Macfadyen and Helen McRory’s snubs as well as a few other notable ones suggest that Quiz didn’t make it far enough with the membership overall for them to be seen by the jury.

I would have liked to see this get a few more, and get a Miniseries nom. Sian Clifford in Lead Actress would have been great, but there’s not anyone in the category I’d take out other than Hayley Squires, and that’s only because I haven’t seen Adult Material.

FYC:
    Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose"), Kate Winslet, Julianne Nicholson ("Mare of Easttown"), Punam Patel ("Special")

Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Wolfali, I’d highly recommend Criminal: UK. There’s only seven episodes altogether, but they’re all available on Netflix.

First series is a mixed bag (great David Tennant episode though).

Series 2 is even better and I’m delighted to see Nayyar and Okonedo land nominations. Kit Harington would have been a great nominee too as his episode is probably the strongest overall.

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Wolfali, I’d highly recommend Criminal: UK. There’s only seven episodes altogether, but they’re all available on Netflix.

First series is a mixed bag (great David Tennant episode though).

Series 2 is even better and I’m delighted to see Nayyar and Okonedo land nominations. Kit Harington would have been a great nominee too as his episode is probably the strongest overall.

I agree. If we’re talking the tapes will win and lose it then Okenedo has THE episode to win. She’s fan-fucking-tastic in her episode!

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

I’ve always wondered why they don’t split comedy by supporting vs lead, but they do for drama/miniseries.

Same…it’s very odd. Plus separating the Single Drama from the Series may help make it fairer as the Single Dramas are better tapes to win because the entire arc is in the one tape rather than there being an arc either side of the tape submitted.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    Paradoxymoron
    Topics:

So so happy for Aimee Lou! An unexpected nomination, but so well deserved! Now hoping she and Ncuti can win their categories!

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Hope The Crown wins. It doesn’t deserve to be the biggest loser in the series category for both comedy and drama.

Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

If the jury had seen Quiz I wouldn’t be doubting Sian Clifford & Helen McCrory being nominated.

FYC EMMYS: THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. OLIVIA COLMAN - D. ACTRESS & HBC - D. SUPP. ACTRESS) & IT’S A SIN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. LYDIA WEST - LIM. ACTRESS & KEELEY HAWES - LIM. SUPP. ACTRESS) & I MAY DESTROY YOU IN ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Did The Queen’s Gambit just quietly get snubbed for an award?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

This is super interesting. Female lead and supporting actor are stacked with such talent. Very happy for Aimee Lou Wood and Ncuti Gatwa. I’m not super familiar with BAFTA TV Awards but as others have said, the categories and placements are odd. I’m mean I thought Letitia Wright was excellent in her Small Axe episode but her screen time in her single movie can’t compare to Michaela Coel or Billie Piper.

I have to add I am stoked that Once Upon a Time in Iraq got so much love. It is truly outstanding, please watch it (BBC version not US version which is heavily cut).

Also Menzies got a boost from D of E’s passing, surely.

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

This is super interesting. Female lead and supporting actor are stacked with such talent. Very happy for Aimee Lou Wood and Ncuti Gatwa. I’m not super familiar with BAFTA TV Awards but as others have said, the categories and placements are odd. I’m mean I thought Letitia Wright was excellent in her Small Axe episode but her screen time in her single movie can’t compare to Michaela Coel or Billie Piper.

I have to add I am stoked that Once Upon a Time in Iraq got so much love. It is truly outstanding, please watch it (BBC version not US version which is heavily cut).

Also Menzies got a boost from D of E’s passing, surely.

The juries all wrapped up a while back. I know McCrory’s passing was after the juries had closed – and they had for a couple of weeks I believe so before Prince Phillip passed away as well.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The juries all wrapped up a while back. I know McCrory’s passing was after the juries had closed – and they had for a couple of weeks I believe so before Prince Phillip passed away as well.

Tbf, it wasn’t exactly unexpected … alternatively could have been intended as a 100th year happy birthday present to BAFTA’s first president.

Profile picture
    Mukund
    Topics:

Lenny Abrahamson Normal People – Element Pictures/BBC Three

Benjamin Caron The Crown (episode 3) – Left Bank Pictures in association with Sony Pictures Television/Netflix

Michaela Coel, Sam Miller I May Destroy You – Various Artists, FALKNA/BBC One

Steve McQueen Small Axe – Turbine Studios, Lammas Park/BBC One

This directing line-up has to be the best I’ve seen anywhere in recent memory. Hoping for a tie between Abrahamson and McQueen.

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

‘The top six as voted for by the membership is combined with the broadcaster entries to form the jury longlist.’

‘In the performance categories only, if the broadcaster chooses to put forward two candidates, at least one of the two permitted entries must be a candidate from an under-represented group as defined in the BFI’s Diversity Standards.’

So the wider membership choose 6 entries (plus any tied for 6th). Broadcasters then get up to 2 slots for them to fill of contenders who didn’t make it in.
    That’s a heck of a long Longlist.

6 from members. Then BBC, ITV, C4, 5, Sky, Netflix, Amazon etc. all get two additionally each. You’re looking at 20+ on each longlist realistically.

Even if Quiz didn’t make it past the main membership vote, ITV still could have put in front of the juries – where they didn’t go for it. There are several ways a show and performance gets ‘snubbed’ now.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maybe this explains Paapa Essiedu being in lead and not supporting?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 608 total)

The topic ‘2021 BAFTA TV Awards’ is closed to new replies.