Home Forums Television 2021 BAFTA TV Awards

2021 BAFTA TV Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
craigkell
AMG
  • Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Two things :

– The trailer for I Hate Suzie has been released. It will be released as a Box Set on Sky/NowTV on 27th August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnxWuZyNILQ

– I think we’re underestimating Make Me Famous heavily.

I’d say Anthony has more of a chance of making Best Single Drama given its subject matter.

Des (starring David Tennant) is supposedly airing in the UK at the end of this month/early September so that’ll be one to look out for.

Also, I don’t see the likes of White House Farm, Deadwater Fell, Gangs of London or (unfortunately) Save Me Too making much of an impact come next year’s nominations. I just have this feeling that they may be forgotten but I could be wrong.

I’m intrigued to see what the reception is like for Four Lives, I Hate Suzie, Anne, Honour, The Third Day, The Serpent, Boys, Roadkill and Small Axe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, I don’t see the likes of White House Farm, Deadwater Fell, Gangs of London or (unfortunately) Save Me Too making much of an impact come next year’s nominations. I just have this feeling that they may be forgotten but I could be wrong. I’m intrigued to see what the reception is like for Four Lives, I Hate Suzie, Anne, Honour, The Third Day, The Serpent, Boys, Roadkill and Small Axe.

I wouldn’t underestimated the first four shows you’ve mentioned. All were quite acclaimed and we’ve seen how BAFTA often seems to nominate more forgettable stuff that aired a longer while ago (see Save Me season 1 getting a bunch of nominations despite having a February air date).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, I don’t see the likes of White House Farm, Deadwater Fell, Gangs of London or (unfortunately) Save Me Too making much of an impact come next year’s nominations. I just have this feeling that they may be forgotten but I could be wrong. I’m intrigued to see what the reception is like for Four Lives, I Hate Suzie, Anne, Honour, The Third Day, The Serpent, Boys, Roadkill and Small Axe.

I wouldn’t underestimated the first four shows you’ve mentioned. All were quite acclaimed and we’ve seen how BAFTA often seems to nominate more forgettable stuff that aired a longer while ago (see Save Me season 1 getting a bunch of nominations despite having a February air date).

If I Hate Suzie is acclaimed and watched then I’ll say this now that Piper is winning.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

If I Hate Suzie is acclaimed and watched then I’ll say this now that Piper is winning.

Bold statement! As much as I love Billie (for over twenty years!), I think Best Actress will be very competitive this year but you never know….

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well the thing is she has had a tonne of goodwill built up towards her over the years. She has proven with Collateral that she can get into a strong field with a weak performance in a show that didn’t perform that well overall at the BAFTAs and has proven that she is a very talented actress with her work on stage in Yerma. I think if she gives a performance and I Hate Suzie is watched and acclaimed she’s winning (or at the very least is close to winning because I agree she faces stiff competition from Michaela Coel and potentially Keeley Hawes).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The final Supporting Actor poll results are below :

1. Josh O’Connor, The Crown – 17/6 odds

2. Michael Sheen, Quiz – 18/5 odds

3. Paapa Essiedu, I May Destroy You – 20/3 odds

4. Freddie Fox, The Crown – 22/1 odds

Next in Line :

5. Charles Dance, The Crown – 22/1 odds

6. Paterson Joseph, Noughts and Crosses – 22/1 odds

7. Selva Rasalingam, Honour – 22/1 odds

8. Jason Watkins, Des – 22/1 odds

9. Michael Ward, Small Axe – 22/1 odds

10. Stephen Graham, White House Farm – 22/1 odds

Dark Horses :

11. Sacha Dhawan, Doctor Who – 22/1 odds
    12. Amir Wilson, His Dark Materials – 22/1 odds
    13. Kim Bodnia, Killing Eve – 100/1
    14. Paddy Considine, The Third Day – 100/1
    15. Stephen Graham, The North Water – 100/1

The results so far of the Supporting Actress poll:

1. Gillian Anderson, The Crown – 13/3 odds

2. Emma Corrin, The Crown – 7/1 odds

3. Weruche Opia, I May Destroy You – 7/1 odds

4. Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown – 15/1 odds

Next in Line :

5. Sarah Greene, Normal People – 15/1 odds

6. Naomi Harris, The Third Day – 15/1 odds

7. Anna Madeley, Deadwater Fell – 15/1 odds

8. Lesley Manville, Save Me Too – 15/1 odds

9. Rakie Ayola, Anthony – 15/1 odds

10. Lydia West, Boys – 15/1 odds

Dark Horses :

11. Erin Doherty, The Crown – 15/1 odds
    12. Emerald Fennell, The Crown – 15/1 odds
    13. Sarah Lancashire, Last Tango in Halifax – 100/1
    14. Rose Leslie, Vigil – 100/1
    15. Jo Martin, Doctor Who – 100/1

If you haven’t voted you have 4 more days to vote until the poll is closed!

https://strawpoll.com/ahchsh66q

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The latest poll is for Scripted Comedy and will expire on 21st August.

https://strawpoll.com/s1ph4svyr

So apparently Vigil and The Serpent halted filming due to Covid. I will take them out of future polls until it is confirmed they actually will air in 2020.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Here’s my hot take :

Daisy Edgar-Jones is win competitive for Actress but Paul Mescal will get snubbed. I think his category is between Macfadyen and Tennant (for Des) unless a new contender comes along.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Current results of Scripted Comedy odds with only 4 days to go until the poll closes:

1. Brassic (Sky One) – 13/3 odds

2. After Life (Netflix) – 7/1 odds

3. There She Goes (BBC Two) – 7/1 odds

4. Staged (BBC One) – 7/1 odds

Next in Line :

5. This Country (BBC Three) – 7/1 odds

6. Breeders (Sky One/FX) – 15/1 odds

7. Code 404 (Sky One) – 15/1 odds

8. Famalam (BBC Two) – 15/1 odds

9. Man Like Mobeen (BBC Three) – 15/1 odds

10. Sex Education (Netflix) – 15/1 odds

https://strawpoll.com/s1ph4svyr

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:
    wolfali
    Topics:

The final results of the Supporting Actress poll (this poll closed before The Crown released its season 4 teaser):

1. Gillian Anderson, The Crown – 14/4 odds

2. Emma Corrin, The Crown – 8/1 odds

3. Weruche Opia, I May Destroy You – 8/1 odds

4. Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown – 17/1 odds

Next in Line :

5. Sarah Greene, Normal People – 17/1 odds

6. Naomi Harris, The Third Day – 17/1 odds

7. Anna Madeley, Deadwater Fell – 17/1 odds

8. Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve – 17/1 odds

9. Lesley Manville, Save Me – 17/1 odds

10. Rakie Ayola, Anthony – 17/1 odds

11. Lydia West, Boys – 17/1 odds
    12. Erin Doherty, The Crown – 17/1 odds
    13. Emerald Fennell, The Crown – 17/1 odds
    14. Sarah Lancashire, Last Tango in Halifax – 100/1 odds
    15. Rose Leslie, Vigil – 100/1 odds

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually think Gillian Anderson is going to get snubbed even if she delivers the performance of a lifetime. BAFTA have sort of fallen out of love with her recently and she’s playing Margaret Thatcher. In the awards in the US the fact she’s playing Thatcher won’t affect her so much but the context is different in the UK. I mean these are the same people who nominated Brexit : The Uncivil War but then snubbed Benedict Cumberbatch despite him delivering an excellent performance partly due to how unsympathetic and nefarious his character was.

On the other hand if Emma Corrin delivers and gets nominated I think she’s winning à la Kirby in terms of the newcomer/breakthrough performance. You could argue that the fact that Foy and O’Connor lost doesn’t look good for her chances but the key thing to know is that whilst they were unknowns in the States they were quite big deals here (I mean Foy already had a BAFTA nomination pre The Crown and O’Connor was in major roles in three high profile Dramas in the UK last year). Corrin is a newcomer who has only has had two other roles in television EVER (one of which was a guest performance on a crime show and the other was a recurring role on Pennyworth).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

The trailer for Des has premiered. Due for release in the UK next month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvWaTtE7rpk

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I actually think Gillian Anderson is going to get snubbed even if she delivers the performance of a lifetime. BAFTA have sort of fallen out of love with her recently and she’s playing Margaret Thatcher. In the awards in the US the fact she’s playing Thatcher won’t affect her so much but the context is different in the UK. I mean these are the same people who nominated Brexit : The Uncivil War but then snubbed Benedict Cumberbatch despite him delivering an excellent performance partly due to how unsympathetic and nefarious his character was. On the other hand if Emma Corrin delivers and gets nominated I think she’s winning à la Kirby in terms of the newcomer/breakthrough performance. You could argue that the fact that Foy and O’Connor lost doesn’t look good for her chances but the key thing to know is that whilst they were unknowns in the States they were quite big deals here (I mean Foy already had a BAFTA nomination pre The Crown and O’Connor was in major roles in three high profile Dramas in the UK last year). Corrin is a newcomer who has only has had two other roles in television EVER (one of which was a guest performance on a crime show and the other was a recurring role on Pennyworth).

I actually think both Gillian and Emma will get nominated, the same way Lightgow and Harris were for season 1. I think O’Connor will stay just like Kirby but I could see him getting pushed lead. I highly doubt Helena returns, considering she will (most likely) lose focus.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The trailer for Des has premiered. Due for release in the UK next month! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvWaTtE7rpk

David Tennant is coming for that BAFTA! I swear if he doesn’t get nominated we’ll officially know that they hate him because this is like the role of a lifetime.

I actually think both Gillian and Emma will get nominated, the same way Lightgow and Harris were for season 1. I think O’Connor will stay just like Kirby but I could see him getting pushed lead. I highly doubt Helena returns, considering she will (most likely) lose focus.

I think Emma is a safe bet (if she’s good) and O’Connor will stay and possibly win depending on material. I wouldn’t underestimate Helena though. She seems to be like Benedict Cumberbatch in the sense that she can pretty much make it in for a bulk of her projects (basically Olivia Colman pre her Oscar win but without the billions of BAFTA wins).

I hope Gillian gets in but I don’t know. She got snubbed for The Fall whilst Jamie Dornan got in and she got snubbed for Great Expectations (which many consider to be her career best performance) and then it’s not like at the Emmys where Thatcher is a baity performance so they might snub her simply for playing Thatcher.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.