Home Forums Television 2021 Emmys Rules Changes?

2021 Emmys Rules Changes?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
wolfali
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    That Don Guy
    Topics:

Apologies if I am duplicating a thread, but I did a search and couldn’t find anything.

About a month ago, the Television Academy announced some rules changes for 2021:

“Variety Talk Series” and “Variety Sketch Series” are being recombined into a single “Variety Series” category. Note that individual achievements in variety series will still be treated based on whether they are for talk series or sketch series.

“Short Form Comedy/Drama Series” and “Short Form Variety Series” are being combined into a single “Short Form Comedy, Drama, or Variety Series” category.

Anthology series must now enter as Limited Series (now renamed “Limited or Anthology Series”).

New category: Stunt Performance by an Individual/Team; teams will be limited to 2-4 persons. This differs from the existing Stunt Coordination category in that the stuntpersons themselves, rather than the stunt coordinator, are nominated.

All Children’s Programming, including “animated programs targeted at an audience aged 6-12,” must be entered in the Daytime Emmys. I wonder how the Academy will treat, say, another Toy Story or Ice Age TV special. (Presumably, “if it’s rated G, it’s eligible; if it’s Y or Y7, it isn’t.”)

Any non-documentary film placed on the AMPAS streaming site will be considered a theatrical movie, and thus ineligible for Emmys

Any program that is nominated for an Oscar is ineligible for Emmys.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I thought for a second this was going to be an extension to the eligibility period thread lmao.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Did not post in the forum, but I took notes at the time. Not covered above:
    – Categories now merged if 24 submissions for consecutive years instead of 13
    – Casting eligibility now involves whether you have already won an Emmy, which seems unprecedented
    – Interactive categories merged
    – Makeup categories merged, but still a separate hair category for reality/variety
    – Main titles have to be 75% new if a modified version of titles from a previous season
    – Panels returning to score categories, but now combined with popular vote
    – Short form is now up to 20 minutes instead of 17; half hour is explicitly 21 to 40 and hourlong is 41 to 75
    – Visual effects no longer main and supporting; it is now season and episode, so you could just have the same shows nominated in both categories
    – Game shows now eligible in variety writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

– Casting eligibility now involves whether you have already won an Emmy, which seems unprecedented

So for something like The Crown season 5 would that be ineligible even with entirely different cast just because season 2 already won the Emmy?

– Main titles have to be 75% new if a modified version of titles from a previous season

Alleluia

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

No, the new rule just affects who gets the Emmy on an individual, not program, level. Succession just won casting for its second season and the award went to its second-season casting director. Under the new rule, the 2020 award also would have gone to the pilot casting director. The third season is the last chance for an original casting director to win retroactively. And if the rule had been in place for 2020, the original casting director would not be eligible to be nominated for the upcoming third season as she is now, because she would have already collected her trophy.

This did not use to be an issue because the panels would evaluate the actual work in contention (Holly Hunter, Danny Huston, Cherry Jones, Fisher Stevens). The academy is now acknowledging that Succession won this year more in recognition of the core cast, which they missed the boat on initially.

So I guess if you cast a pilot, it is now optimal if your show starts decently, builds and peaks in the third season, so that you can max out with three nominations (including one win) for your work on that first episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TAF
    Topics:

New category: Stunt Performance by an Individual/Team; teams will be limited to 2-4 persons. This differs from the existing Stunt Coordination category in that the stuntpersons themselves, rather than the stunt coordinator, are nominated.

Great decision!

Regarding the main title category, I guess Westworld and American Horror Story won’t be elegible in the future.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

I think the only issue I have with the above is the changes to Visual Effects. Still think there’s no need for more than one category lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No, the new rule just affects who gets the Emmy on an individual, not program, level. Succession just won casting for its second season and the award went to its second-season casting director. Under the new rule, the 2020 award also would have gone to the pilot casting director. The third season is the last chance for an original casting director to win retroactively. And if the rule had been in place for 2020, the original casting director would not be eligible to be nominated for the upcoming third season as she is now, because she would have already collected her trophy. This did not use to be an issue because the panels would evaluate the actual work in contention (Holly Hunter, Danny Huston, Cherry Jones, Fisher Stevens). The academy is now acknowledging that Succession won this year more in recognition of the core cast, which they missed the boat on initially. So I guess if you cast a pilot, it is now optimal if your show starts decently, builds and peaks in the third season, so that you can max out with three nominations (including one win) for your work on that first episode.

So I am assuming that if The Crown wins for season 4 it will be ineligible for its new cast in season 5 if Nina Gold is still the casting director? Shame.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

It is unfortunate that another year goes by and the inherently flawed guest rules remain the same.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

No, the new rule only has the potential to affect a show in its second or third season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I liked the Variety categories split, so that’s kinda disappointing merging again. This will mean “SNL” loses its telegraphed yearly win to “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” which will please some and annoy others. The only way new winners will happen now is if shows stop submitting, which never happens.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I liked the Variety categories split, so that’s kinda disappointing merging again. This will mean “SNL” loses its telegraphed yearly win to “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” which will please some and annoy others. The only way new winners will happen now is if shows stop submitting, which never happens.

I’m all for Last Week Tonight beating SNL. Sure, it’s been rewarded enough, but Oliver’s show is consistently entertaining and intelligent,. Meanwhile, this has got to be one of the latter’s all time worst seasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Panels returning to score categories, but now combined with popular vote

Woah. This seems huge. So the tapes matter now? And for which categories?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I’m all for Last Week Tonight beating SNL. Sure, it’s been rewarded enough, but Oliver’s show is consistently entertaining and intelligent,. Meanwhile, this has got to be one of the latter’s all time worst seasons.

Both shows have been rewarded enough. My point was that I liked seeing some other shows break through win wins on occasion like “Key & Peele” & “Inside Amy Schumer” in Variety Sketch Series. Now in the combined category, the default winner will always be “John Oliver” with nothing else having a shot of winning. But yes, there are plenty of other categories where “SNL” will still be competitive for wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Visual effects no longer main and supporting; it is now season and episode, so you could just have the same shows nominated in both categories

This is completely unnecessary and stupid, especially when most shows have the same team working on the entire season usually. At least the earlier split made some sense. Watch them change the rules again when the same shows get nominated and win in both categories smh.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.