Home Forums Television AFI Awards 2019 (TV)

AFI Awards 2019 (TV)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
gabspss
boss
Ivo Stoyanov
  • Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

lol…Watchmen. Deadline called it an embrace of diversity…lolz

Whoop diddy scoop!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

For conversations sake, was Schitts Creek eligible? I wouldn’t have predicted it but also it wouldn’t surprise me if it had showed up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

SC aired from January to April on POPTV.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

46% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes

Because of mass voting by white supremacist trolls.

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

An absolute farce of a sham of a horsesh-t list. No broadcast network representation at all? A disgrace. Watchmen? It’s an Alice Through the Looking Glass version of the graphic novel. Does not belong on any top 10 list. 46% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

When people bring RT audience score or IMDB to a conversation about quality, specially in a show like Watchmen

EDIT: Of course sometimes audience score matters, specially when there is a product with awful reviews but it is actually very good. But it is ridiculous bring Watchmen’s audience score to this discussion, we all know what really means.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

An absolute farce of a sham of a horsesh-t list. No broadcast network representation at all? A disgrace. Watchmen? It’s an Alice Through the Looking Glass version of the graphic novel. Does not belong on any top 10 list. 46% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

This is foolish

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Turd Ferguson.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Turd Ferguson.

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

For conversations sake, was Schitts Creek eligible? I wouldn’t have predicted it but also it wouldn’t surprise me if it had showed up.

EDIT: I didn’t mean because of air date, but rather if because its a Canadian production, thus not sure if it was eligible for AFI.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Because of mass voting by white supremacist trolls.

Yikes. Didn’t know that. Apologies to all, then. That said, today was a distressing move by AFI to snub broadcast network TV entirely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I love that they have included the four miniseries that defined this year, I would say even, this decade – Chernobyl, When They See Us, Unbelievable and, especially, my favorite Fosse/Verdon.

But to put two only two comedies – Fleabag and Veep – and 5 dramas is pretty weird. However, have in mind that GoT is the only Emmy drama nominee that made it, The Crown, Pose, Succession and Watchmen are nominated for seasons that are yet to compete at the Emmys. It is pretty clear that GoT and Pose do not belong here, they should have been replaced by Barry and Russian Doll. And This is us (second part of season 3 and first part of season 4) was much better and more deserving drama than GoT and Pose, it’s ignored only because airs on NBC, which is a shame.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I love that they have included the four miniseries that defined this year, I would say even, this decade – Chernobyl, When They See Us, Unbelievable and, especially, my favorite Fosse/Verdon. But to put two only two comedies – Fleabag and Veep – and 5 dramas is pretty weird. However, have in mind that GoT is the only Emmy drama nominee that made it, The Crown, Pose, Succession and Watchmen are nominated for seasons that are yet to compete at the Emmys. It is pretty clear that GoT and Pose do not belong here, they should have been replaced by Barry and Russian Doll. And This is us (second part of season 3 and first part of season 4) was much better and more deserving drama than GoT and Pose, it’s ignored only because airs on NBC, which is a shame.

Or maybe they’re over its manipulative nature?

Look, I love the show – mostly because I don’t mind it when shows are excessively emotional – but sometimes their storytelling methods can get really repetitive and may I say, predictable. A bird flying through their living room in the past and then again in the present made me roll my eyes so badly. It’s cute and so, but they could be a bit subtler than that. IMO their best episodes are those exploring raw emotions, like Songbird Road Part 1.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Or maybe they’re over its manipulative nature?

Look, I love the show – mostly because I don’t mind it when shows are excessively emotional – but sometimes their storytelling methods can get really repetitive and may I say, predictable. A bird flying through their living room in the past and then again in the present made me roll my eyes so badly. It’s cute and so, but they could be a bit subtler than that. IMO their best episodes are those exploring raw emotions, like Songbird Road Part 1.

And they are not over the plot holes of GoT S7 and S8? And the huge narrative issues of Pose S2? Come on… And the bird example that you gave is misleading. This was comical and it was done to show Jack behaving in a goofy way trying to save himself from the bird and yelling like a little boy. In the future was used only as a narrative device so Rebecca could tell them that story from the past. This is us us telling its story using multiple timelines, flashbacks and flashforwards. Unlike, Game of Thrones, their writers know how to use time jumps.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

And they are not over the plot holes of GoT S7 and S8? And the huge narrative issues of Pose S2? Come on… And the bird example that you gave is misleading. This was comical and it was done to show Jack behaving in a goofy way trying to save himself from the bird and yelling like a little boy. In the future was used only as a narrative device so Rebecca could tell them that story from the past. This is us us telling its story using multiple timelines, flashbacks and flashforwards. Unlike, Game of Thrones, their writers know how to use time jumps.

I haven’t finished Pose, so I can’t speak to its inclusion, but I won’t disagree on GOT. Its inclusion is indeed strange, but it’s the sentimental pick, which I can get behind. My point was that there is a group of people out there that dislikes TIU for the reason I mentioned earlier, and I believe that the critics make up a big portion of that group.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t finished Pose, so I can’t speak to its inclusion, but I won’t disagree on GOT. Its inclusion is indeed strange, but it’s the sentimental pick, which I can get behind. My point was that there is a group of people out there that dislikes TIU for the reason I mentioned earlier, and I believe that the critics make up a big portion of that group.

Yes, now that you said it like hat, I agree with you completely, but the NBC factor also plays. They do not forgive that easy to shows that are not airing on HBO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Or maybe they’re over its manipulative nature? Look, I love the show – mostly because I don’t mind it when shows are excessively emotional – but sometimes their storytelling methods can get really repetitive and may I say, predictable. A bird flying through their living room in the past and then again in the present made me roll my eyes so badly. It’s cute and so, but they could be a bit subtler than that. IMO their best episodes are those exploring raw emotions, like Songbird Road Part 1.

This did NOT happen though.

ReplyCopy URL
    rafaeltxeira
    Participant
    Topics:

As per AFI website:

SELECTION CRITERIA
    Honorees are selected based on works which:

Best advance the art of the moving image
    Enhance the rich cultural heritage of America’s art form
    Inspire audiences and artists alike
    And/or make a mark on American society

Game of Thrones season 8, for all its flaws and all, achieved every one of this guidelines better than any other series. So its place here is not undeserved.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.