Home Forums Television BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 393 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
gabarnes43
  • wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Now this is something I’d forgotten about (it already feels like such a long time since the show aired!) Anjili Mohindra had a dynamite final episode (did the performance need the contrast of Episode 1 to work or does it stand alone better that way?) I can see a world where anyone from Anjili, Keeley, Pippa Haywood and Gina McKee pops up (or none of them do)…

I don’t think none of them will unless we see someone from Collateral or Sheridan Smith sneak in. I think Hawes has the best chance and any one else can be nominated alongside her (maximum one other Bodyguard nominee). But I can also see Vina McKee replacing her. Here is the likelihood of who we be nominated From Bodyguard (supporting):

1. Keeley Hawes
    2. Gina McKee
    3. Anjli Mohindra
    4. Pippa Haywood (I just don’t see her popping up in what was a very basic performance unless we are going by one episode but you will need other eps to use to explain and the BBC can’t do that when submitting Bodyguard for acting categories)

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Gillian Anderson ("Sex Education") for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, "Killing Eve" for Best Drama Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Fiona Shaw ("Killing Eve") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Mrs Wilson in all eligible categorie

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree with her not being nominated because she isn’t a big name yet. Two of the girls from Three Girls were nominated last year and one of them won. For a performance less acclaimed than that of Claire Foy and Thandie Newton. Mohindra is also a rising star in the UK with roles on various dramas such as Dark Heart and having supporting roles on Doctor Who and it’s spin offs. So if we are going by that logic then she has a high chance of a nomination.

100% agreed – just look at Ruth Madeley, Kierston Wareing, Georgina Campbell too… BAFTA have a long history of rewarding great work by “unknowns” (even without lots of buzz or press for their performances or shows).

On a personal level, I’d love to see Sunetra Sarker receive a “career nomination” for Informer, unlikely as it may be.

ReplyCopy URL
    LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

Mohindra might not have a big name (yet), but I do think she could get a chance. There was quite a lot of buzz for her performance as Nadia in the UK and I have heard nothing but praise for her from co-stars and critics alike.

The final twist/interrogation scene at the end of Episode 6 works well as a standout moment all by itself. Mohindra pulled that off so well, I literally got chills the first time I watched it.

For now, I predict Best Supporting Actress will get 2 Bodyguard noms, Hawes and Mohindra. I don’t see McKee or Haywood as strong enough contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be surprised if Sophie Rundle is not the second in line Bodyguard supporting actress. She had much stronger material than the rest and BAFTA won’t go for Mohindra given the controversies around her character

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think none of them will unless we see someone from Collateral or Sheridan Smith sneak in.

My gut instinct is that Sheridan Smith has been submitted as Leading for Care (which she’ll struggle to make the line-up for – she’s great, obviously, but with a win and two further nominations already she kind of needed to be outstanding and… the movie had its problems in my opinion).

I see Alison Steadman and Sinead Keenan as wild-cards for that one – both were incredibly strong and, if either manages to be nominated, I’d tip either for the Supporting win…

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be surprised if Sophie Rundle is not the second in line Bodyguard supporting actress. She had much stronger material than the rest and BAFTA won’t go for Mohindra given the controversies around her character

I don’t see Sophie Rundle as having a chance for a less impactful and scene stealing performance than Mohindra, Haywood and McKee. But you are right, there are strong accusations of the character of Nadia for Islamophobia so I can see that denting Mohindra’s chances, which is why I am predicting Hawes and McKee.

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Gillian Anderson ("Sex Education") for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, "Killing Eve" for Best Drama Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Fiona Shaw ("Killing Eve") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Mrs Wilson in all eligible categorie

ReplyCopy URL
    sinasays
    Participant
    Topics:

BAFTA won’t go for Mohindra given the controversies around her character

agreed.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

My gut instinct is that Sheridan Smith has been submitted as Leading for Care (which she’ll struggle to make the line-up for – she’s great, obviously, but with a win and two further nominations already she kind of needed to be outstanding and… the movie had its problems in my opinion). I see Alison Steadman and Sinead Keenan as wild-cards for that one – both were incredibly strong and, if either manages to be nominated, I’d tip either for the Supporting win…

Kermit, I am interested now. Who are your predictions for the four acting categories, the two comedy performance categories and Best Comedy as well as Drama. Because you have a unique insight and I feel that you may have spotted candidates who we may be underestimating (I know you mentioned some earlier on when you joined the thread)?

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting Stat:

RTS Awards are announcing their nominations for their Programming (main on screen awards) awards in three weeks. They are a good bellwether for BAFTA as most nominees go on to score a BAFTA nod the same year. They already have held their craft awards in November (and obviously because they have different eligibility periods, their bellwether ness isn’t perfect). All winners of a RTS Craft or Programming Award have gone on to at least either be nominated for the BAFTA if not win (note : Killing Eve, Little Drummer Girl, The Cry, and ABC Murders were not nominated here as they all aired after September 2018 which was the eligibility deadline, also Vanity Fair isn’t here and neither are some of our main prediction largely because RTS only have three noms per category and not four)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN (DRAMA)
    Winner : The City and the City (BBC Two)
    King Lear (BBC Two)
    The Miniaturist (not eligible for 2019 BAFTAs) (BBC One)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN (Entertainment)
    Winner : The Windsors : Royal Wedding Special (Channel 4)
    The Keith and Paddy Picture Show (ITV)
    Zapped (Dave)

BEST DESIGN – PROGRAMME CONTENT SEQUENCE
    Winner : Kiss Me First (Channel 4)
    Empire Windrush : Newsround (BBC) (not eligible)
    One Strange Rock

BEST TITLES DESIGN
    Winner : Deep State (Fox) (eligible as it is a Fox UK original drama)
    Ordeal by Innocence (BBC One)
    Electric Dreams (Channel 4)

BEST NON-Fiction TITLE DESIGN
    WINNER : 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP (BBC One)
    2018 Winter Olympics (BBC Two)

DIRECTOR — COMEDY
    Winner : Michael Lennox for Derry Girls (Channel 4)
    Adam Miller for The Windsors : Royal Wedding Special (Channel 4)
    Andrew Chaplin for GameFace (Not eligible for 2019 BAFTA TV Awards)

DIRECTOR — DRAMA
    Winner : Stephen Frears for A Very English Scandal (BBC One)
    Jonathan Entwhistle for The End of the F***ing World (All 4) (not eligible for 2019)
    Nick Murphy for Save Me (Sky Atlantic)

DIRECTOR — Multi Camera
    Winner : Strictly Come Dancing (BBC One)
    Coronation Street (ITV)
    The Voice UK (ITV)

EDITING — Drama
    Winner : Come Home (BBC One)
    The End of the F***ing World (All4) (not eligible)
    A Very English Scandal (BBC One)

EDITING — Comedy
    Winner : The Windsors Royal Wedding Special (Channel 4)
    GameFace (E4) (not eligible for 2019)
    Derry Girls (Channel 4)

EFFECTS
    Winner : The Crown (Netflix) (Not eligible)
    One Strange Rock (NatGeo)
    Katy (Iplayer)

Make Up 
    King Lear (BBC Two)
    A Very English Scandal (BBC One)
    Flowers (Channel 4)

Original Score
    Murray Gold for A Very English Scandal (BBC One)
    Graham Coxon – The End of the F***ing World (not eligible)
    Tandis Jenhudson – Civilisations (BBC Two)

TITLE MUSIC
    Motherland (BBC Two)
    Come Home (BBC One)
    Civilisations (BBC Two)

PHOTOGRAPHY
    The End of the F***ing World (not eligible)
    Peaky Blinder (not eligible)
    Hidden (not eligible)

PRODUCTION DESIGN
    The City and The City (BBC Two)
    Gunpowder (not eligible)
    The Crown (NOT ELIGIBLE)

SOUND
    Bodyguard (BBC One)
    Deep State (Fox)
    Patrick Melrose (sky)

What we know following this: Not good news for Bodyguard’s chances, apart from Sound. Derry Girls, AVES and Come Home are stronger than we thought (could Ecclestone be nominated for his performance in Come Home?). TC&C is also strong. This doesn’t help Bodyguard but may or may not help The Little Drummer Girl, The Cry, Killing Eve and Doctor Who (who were all not eligible for that ceremony). We just have to wait for the nominations for the main categories to be announced in three weeks to see who our BAFTA favourites are.

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

Kermit, I am interested now. Who are your predictions for the four acting categories, the two comedy performance categories and Best Comedy as well as Drama. Because you have a unique insight and I feel that you may have spotted candidates who we may be underestimating (I know you mentioned some earlier on when you joined the thread)?

I don’t follow much Comedy so daren’t even attempt; but for the acting categories, here are my guesses –

Leading Actor

Hugh Grant – A Very English Scandal

Anthony Hopkins – King Lear

Nabhaan Rizwan – Informer

John Simm – Collateral

Leading Actress

Michaela Cole – Black Earth Rising

Olivia Cooke – Vanity Fair

Tamara Lawrance – The Long Song

Ruth Wilson – Mrs Wilson

Supporting Actor

Callum Booth-Ford – Butterfly

Jack Lowden – The Long Song

Steven Mackintosh – Kiri

Ben Whishaw – A Very English Scandal

Supporting Actress

Keeley Hawes – Bodyguard

Anjli Mohindra – Bodyguard

Billie Piper – Collateral

Alison Steadman – Care

I expect around 75% of the above to be wrong (but which 75%!!??)

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t follow much Comedy so daren’t even attempt; but for the acting categories, here are my guesses – Leading Actor Hugh Grant – A Very English Scandal Anthony Hopkins – King Lear Nabhaan Rizwan – Informer John Simm – Collateral Leading Actress Michaela Cole – Black Earth Rising Olivia Cooke – Vanity Fair Tamara Lawrance – The Long Song Ruth Wilson – Mrs Wilson Supporting Actor Callum Booth-Ford – Butterfly Jack Lowden – The Long Song Steven Mackintosh – Kiri Ben Whishaw – A Very English Scandal Supporting Actress Keeley Hawes – Bodyguard Anjli Mohindra – Bodyguard Billie Piper – Collateral Alison Steadman – Care I expect around 75% of the above to be wrong (but which 75%!!??)

No, I think most of your predictions are spot on. Many of us here are thinking that the Beeb will sweep the noms list with our predictions but every there is at least one non-BBC nominee in each category because of well let’s call it “BAFTA’s BBC fear”.

I think Olivia Cooke, Ruth Wilson and Michaela Cole have a chance. So do Billie Piper and Callum Booth Ford. AVES and Bodyguard noms are locks. I can see Collateral being a surprise sweep this year, but also a surprise shut out, but I think Piper will get nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

No, I think most of your predictions are spot on. Many of us here are thinking that the Beeb will sweep the noms list with our predictions but every there is at least one non-BBC nominee in each category because of well let’s call it “BAFTA’s BBC fear”. I think Olivia Cooke, Ruth Wilson and Michaela Cole have a chance. So do Billie Piper and Callum Booth Ford. AVES and Bodyguard noms are locks. I can see Collateral being a surprise sweep this year, but also a surprise shut out, but I think Piper will get nominated.

Thank you. It’s why I enjoy them so much – for Oscars or Emmys or BAFTA Film or SAG, there are so many clues and precedents and group-think – they’re all effectively a popular vote, so we can gauge general reactions.

Whereas these? Maybe only 10% of the membership hated Bodyguard and were left cold by A Very English Scandal… yet most of this year’s jury could, by chance, have come from that 10%!!!! And I wouldn’t have it any other way – so many performances I’ve watched retrospectively because I missed them – better this than rewarding only the crossover hits I’ve already watched…

One thing I will say (and always do) – the nominations will all be great performances, guaranteed – it’s just that some of the most popular can and do get overlooked…

I remember being convinced that Supporting Actress 2011 (Great Expectations) and Leading Actress 2013 (The Fall) were Gillian Anderson’s to lose… and yet she missed even a nomination!

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

Another thought – did anyone love Wanderlust? I didn’t see it but remember reception being mixed…

Toni Collette – Hollywood Star with links to British Film Industry

Zawe Ashton – Rising Star both here and in the USA

Sophie Okonedo – previous multiple nominee

Anastasia Hille – previous nominee

Steven Mackintosh – previous nominee

Do any of them stand a chance or was this show underwhelming for all (no passionate defenders fighting its corner?)

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Another thought – did anyone love Wanderlust? I didn’t see it but remember reception being mixed… Toni Collette – Hollywood Star with links to British Film Industry Zawe Ashton – Rising Star both here and in the USA Sophie Okonedo – previous multiple nominee Anastasia Hille – previous nominee Steven Mackintosh – previous nominee Do any of them stand a chance or was this show underwhelming for all (no passionate defenders fighting its corner?)

I like Mackintosh and Collette ‘s performances but really was left cold by it.

I think that when the BBC showed their trailer for Autumn 2018 dramas, many critics and viewers were left excited by the lineup. But honestly, only Bodyguard ,The Cry, Doctor Who, Informer, Mrs Wilson and to an extent The Little Drummer Girl kept that suspense out of the 20 programmes advertised. I think as I mentioned above and before about how there is a decision amongst broadcasters which then goes to the jury and how the RTS Awards are a good bellwether, this year’s list is too hard to predict (apart from maybe in the comedy categories), we just have to wait and see what RTS nominates to see who has a good chance at a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you. It’s why I enjoy them so much – for Oscars or Emmys or BAFTA Film or SAG, there are so many clues and precedents and group-think – they’re all effectively a popular vote, so we can gauge general reactions. Whereas these? Maybe only 10% of the membership hated Bodyguard and were left cold by A Very English Scandal… yet most of this year’s jury could, by chance, have come from that 10%!!!! And I wouldn’t have it any other way – so many performances I’ve watched retrospectively because I missed them – better this than rewarding only the crossover hits I’ve already watched… One thing I will say (and always do) – the nominations will all be great performances, guaranteed – it’s just that some of the most popular can and do get overlooked… I remember being convinced that Supporting Actress 2011 (Great Expectations) and Leading Actress 2013 (The Fall) were Gillian Anderson’s to lose… and yet she missed even a nomination!

And the Anderson snubs were ironic as The Fall in particular swept the BAFTA’s. I think really, Line of Duty is the only drama on television guaranteed at least an acting nomination, because it is so loved. But that’s not eligible this year. I think shows with a universal acclaim are a lock (which is why Bodyguard gets at least one acting nod, if Killing Eve is eligible it sweeps, AVES is guranteed two acting nods and Cinema gets nominated for The Cry). It’s hard for those mentioned to not be liked by any percentage of the jury (ok maybe the jury disliked the shows themselves but they are very likely to have enjoyed those performances quite a bit).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.