Home Forums Television BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 222 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
sinasays
forwardswill
  • LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions so far (probably quite a bit of wishful thinking, but here it goes):

Best Drama 

Informer (Or: Vanity Fair)

Bodyguard

Dr Who

A Discovery of Witches

Best Mini Series

The Cry

Mrs Wilson

A Very English Scandal

Patrick Melrose

Leading Actor

Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal

Richard Madden, Bodyguard

Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose

Nabhaan Rizwan, Informer

Leading Actress

Jodie Whittaker, Dr Who

Olivia Cooke, Vanity Fair

Jenna Coleman, The Cry

Ruth Wilson, Mrs Wilson

Supporting Actor

Ben Whishaw, A Very English Scandal

Michael Shannon, The Little Drummer Girl

John Goodman, Black Earth Rising

Iain Glen, Mrs Wilson

Supporting Actress

Keeley Hawes, Bodyguard

Anjli Mohindra, Bodyguard

Asher Keddie, The Cry

Linda Bassett, Call The Midwife

I have left Killing Eve out since I don’t believe it will be eligible outside International (where it will most likely win).

I have almost completely snubbed The Little Drummer Girl because it fell completely flat for me. It just did not live up to the hype at all.

Too bad Les Miserables doesn’t seem to be eligible. I thought Lily Collins and Dominic West were really good. Perhaps they might get in next year.

I was also thinking about McMafia. I actually quite enjoyed the show, but I can’t see it getting any nominations. I think the critics weren’t overly warm towards it.

Oh and I just realised The ABC Murders aired just in time. I haven’t watched it yet but I saw praise in particular for Malkovich’s performance. I am also really happy to see Grint back in something. Perhaps it can translate to a nomination or two?

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions so far (probably quite a bit of wishful thinking, but here it goes): Best Drama Informer (Or: Vanity Fair) Bodyguard Dr Who A Discovery of Witches Best Mini Series The Cry Mrs Wilson A Very English Scandal Patrick Melrose Leading Actor Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal Richard Madden, Bodyguard Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose Nabhaan Rizwan, Informer Leading Actress Jodie Whittaker, Dr Who Olivia Cooke, Vanity Fair Jenna Coleman, The Cry Ruth Wilson, Mrs Wilson Supporting Actor Ben Whishaw, A Very English Scandal Michael Shannon, The Little Drummer Girl John Goodman, Black Earth Rising Iain Glen, Mrs Wilson Supporting Actress Keeley Hawes, Bodyguard Anjli Mohindra, Bodyguard Asher Keddie, The Cry Linda Bassett, Call The Midwife I have left Killing Eve out since I don’t believe it will be eligible outside International (where it will most likely win). I have almost completely snubbed The Little Drummer Girl because it fell completely flat for me. It just did not live up to the hype at all. Too bad Les Miserables doesn’t seem to be eligible. I thought Lily Collins and Dominic West were really good. Perhaps they might get in next year. I was also thinking about McMafia. I actually quite enjoyed the show, but I can’t see it getting any nominations. I think the critics weren’t overly warm towards it. Oh and I just realised The ABC Murders aired just in time. I haven’t watched it yet but I saw praise in particular for Malkovich’s performance. I am also really happy to see Grint back in something. Perhaps it can translate to a nomination or two?

A great (and likely) list – agreed that Asher Keddie was great in The Cry (as was Ewen Leslie for that matter).

I’m interested to find out whether Ben Whishaw has been submitted in Leading or Supporting – he’s 100% a Lead, obviously, but seems to have been submitted as Supporting for the Globes and SAG…

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

A great (and likely) list – agreed that Asher Keddie was great in The Cry (as was Ewen Leslie for that matter). I’m interested to find out whether Ben Whishaw has been submitted in Leading or Supporting – he’s 100% a Lead, obviously, but seems to have been submitted as Supporting for the Globes and SAG…

I think he will go into Supporting, Grant was the big star of the show despite not being the man at the focus of the story and they won’t want a vote split to happen and for both Grant and Whishaw not to get in. They will aim for one in Supporting and one in Lead as I presume they seek at least two possible wins. If you ask me it’s category fraud that Whishaw is in Supporting. Could we see AVES perform better than expected in the acting categories and score another male or female lead or Supporting nod (for either Patricia Routledge, Alex Jennings or Eve Myles), I feel like it’s the type of show BAFTA will love.

We have to see what RTS nominate as they usually predict at least 2/3 of the Nominees and if the Craft Awards are to by, not good Craft and Writing news for Bodyguard or Vanity Fair but excellent for A Very English Scandal and Come Home.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions so far (probably quite a bit of wishful thinking, but here it goes): Best Drama Informer (Or: Vanity Fair) Bodyguard Dr Who A Discovery of Witches Best Mini Series The Cry Mrs Wilson A Very English Scandal Patrick Melrose Leading Actor Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal Richard Madden, Bodyguard Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose Nabhaan Rizwan, Informer Leading Actress Jodie Whittaker, Dr Who Olivia Cooke, Vanity Fair Jenna Coleman, The Cry Ruth Wilson, Mrs Wilson Supporting Actor Ben Whishaw, A Very English Scandal Michael Shannon, The Little Drummer Girl John Goodman, Black Earth Rising Iain Glen, Mrs Wilson Supporting Actress Keeley Hawes, Bodyguard Anjli Mohindra, Bodyguard Asher Keddie, The Cry Linda Bassett, Call The Midwife I have left Killing Eve out since I don’t believe it will be eligible outside International (where it will most likely win). I have almost completely snubbed The Little Drummer Girl because it fell completely flat for me. It just did not live up to the hype at all. Too bad Les Miserables doesn’t seem to be eligible. I thought Lily Collins and Dominic West were really good. Perhaps they might get in next year. I was also thinking about McMafia. I actually quite enjoyed the show, but I can’t see it getting any nominations. I think the critics weren’t overly warm towards it. Oh and I just realised The ABC Murders aired just in time. I haven’t watched it yet but I saw praise in particular for Malkovich’s performance. I am also really happy to see Grint back in something. Perhaps it can translate to a nomination or two?

I don’t think Grint will get nominated and there is a high possibility that nor The ABC Murders or Ordeal by Innocence will get in if there is an Agatha Christie vote split. Malkovitch is a dark horse to get a nomination due to his status, but Agatha Christie ‘s don’t score any acting nominations at the BAFTAs and don’t do well. I also see Ordeal having a better chance due to the controversy of the changing of Poirot’s character in The ABC Murders and the big competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting picks @liberiangirl12

Few quick questions, what makes you say Shannon will get nominated for TLDG and not Pugh (who was the centre of the acclaim for the series)

What makes you put Vanity Fair in Best Drama Series and The Cry in Mini?

What makes you put Goodman in Supporting and not Coel.

I think if Informer gets in for Drama Series alongside Doctor Who, Bodyguard and ADoW then Dr Who wins. Informer will cause a vote split with Bodyguard and I don’t think ADoW has a chance. This could be DW second win, albeit Thirteen years after their first.

I think Actor is Grant’s to lose. Actress is anyone’s game (especially if the Nominees happen to include either Coel ,Cooke, Comer, Coleman, Oh, Pugh, Whittaker or Wilson).

Supporting Actress is Hawes vs Thompson vs De La Tour and Actor is Whishaw’s to lose. I think drama can swing to either Bodyguard or Doctor Who (or if it suddenly and miraculously becomes eligible, Killing Eve). Miniseries is between The Cry, A Very English Scandal, Mrs Wilson and Vanity Fair (with AVES the most likely in my opinion).

It’s too hard to predict but I do expect Killing Eve, Doctor Who, The Cry and Bodyguard to get at least one nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Bellwether awards ceremony alert!

Tonight is the Broadcast UK Awards. At least whoever has won in each category is always nominated for a TV BAFTA the following month. As always the eligibility period differs slightly from the BAFTAs, so Killing Eve, The Little Drummer Girl, Doctor Who, The Cry, Mrs Wilson, There She Goes, Bandersnatch etc were not eligible for this year’s Broadcast Awards. The nominees tonight are:

BEST COMEDY SERIES (who I think will score a BAFTA nod out of the nominees in bold, possible BAFTA nominee upsets in italics)

Derry Girls (Channel 4)
    Detectorists (BBC Four) (not eligible for the 2019 BAFTAs)
    Mum (BBC Two) 
    Stath Lets Flats (Channel 4)
    This Country (BBC Three)
    The Windsors (Channel 4)

BEST DRAMA SERIES OR SERIAL (two separate categories at the BAFTAs)

A Very English Scandal (BBC One)
    Bodyguard (BBC One)
    Kiri (Channel 4)
    Patrick Melrose (Sky Atlantic)
    Save Me (Sky Atlantic)
    The End of the F***ing World (All 4) (not eligible for 2019 BAFTAs)

BEST ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMME

Saturday Night Takeaway (ITV)
    Celebrity Hunted (Channel 4)
    Love Island (ITV2)
    Strictly Come Dancing (BBC One)
    Taskmaster (Dave)
    The Big Narstie Show (Channel 4)

BEST MUSIC PROGRAMME (Entertainment/Live Event at the BAFTAs)
    Arctic Monkeys Live at the BBC (BBC Two)
    BBC Biggest Weekend (BBC One, BBC Two and BBC Four)
    ELO — Wembley or Bust (BBC Two)
    Isle of Wight Festival (Sky One)
    Later…With Jools Holland (BBC Two)
    Sounds Like Friday Night (BBC One)

BEST SINGLE DRAMA

Black Mirror : USS Callister (Netflix) (not eligible for 2019)
    Eric, Ernie and Me (BBC Four) (not eligible for 2019
    Killed by My Debt (BBC Three)
    The Boy with the Topknot (BBC Two) (Not eligible for 2019)
    The Child in Time (BBC One) (not eligible for 2019)
    The Miniaturist (BBC One) (not eligible for 2019)

Do you think (excluding the ineligible ones) that any of these shows nominated for any of the categories listed above have better chances at scoring a BAFTA nomination now? Are they locks or still not clear?

ReplyCopy URL
    LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

@wolfali

The Little Drummer Girl fell completely flat for me and that includes both Skarsgard and Pugh. Skarsgard was too stoney-faced throughout and nothing noteworthy stood out for me about Pugh’s performance. They had virtually no chemistry in my opinion.

Shannon on the other hand played the most interesting character in the show with the most fascinating (and also tragic) background. He pulled off a convincing accent and he even spoke some half decent German. Now I am German and I can tell you this is no small accomplishment. In 99% of the time I have to read the subtitles when foreign actors try to speak German. It’s usually horrendous, but Shannon managed well. He is quite versatile!

In any case though, it almost doesn’t matter who else gets a nod in supporting actor. It’s Whishaw’s to win.

I thought the criteria for drama series contenders is that they are confirmed to or at least intending to return. I thought this applied to Vanity Fair, but I see now I was mistaken. I guess it will go into Miniseries. As I am sure will The Cry, because I don’t see how they could continue the story nor have I heard about any sort of plan to continue it.

I also have a growing gut-feeling about Grant winning. Not that he would be undeserving. He played the slimy politician well, but then again he ONLY played just that throughout the series. What I mean is he had no stand-out moments to me, like e.g. Whishaw had in his absolutley amazing court room scenes in the last episode. I am still rooting for Madden, although it probably won´t happen. He had several incredible moments in episode 4 of Bodyguard alone (which I hope will be the one submitted for consideration), not to mention in other episodes (3 and 6 in particular).

If it won’t be Madden, I would honestly rather see a surprise upset by a talented newcomer like Nabhaan Rizwan!

ReplyCopy URL
    Frank23
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope I am wrong but If KH didn’t win for her amazing role in LoD or wasn’t even nominated for The Missing or The Durrells, I don’t see how she can get a Bafta nomination this year for Bodyguard where she was in 2 episodes and a half.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Main Broadcast Awards winners tonight:

Comedy: Derry Girls
    Drama Series/Serial: A Very English Scandal
    Entertainment: Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway
    Music: Later With Jools Holland: Later 25
    Single Drama: Killed by My Debt

Complete list: https://broadcastawards.co.uk/winners-2019/

ReplyCopy URL
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Killing Eve won TV moment of the year, so I’m thinking that will definitely win the bafta for virgins TV Moment

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Main Broadcast Awards winners tonight: Comedy: Derry Girls Drama Series/Serial: A Very English Scandal Entertainment: Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway Music: Later With Jools Holland: Later 25 Single Drama: Killed by My Debt Complete list: https://broadcastawards.co.uk/winners-2019/

There we have it, Derry Girls and A Very English Scandal are now locks for Drama Serial and Comedy Series BAFTA Nominations! Not sure about Saturday Night Takeaway though.

ReplyCopy URL
    sinasays
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope I am wrong but If KH didn’t win for her amazing role in LoD or wasn’t even nominated for The Missing or The Durrells, I don’t see how she can get a Bafta nomination this year for Bodyguard where she was in 2 episodes and a half.

I feel like her role has way more buzz than the others before – even thougb LOD should have been a win. Even in the US (LA Times THR) people were surprised she wasn’t nominated for the GGs but there was super tough competition in support, let’s be fair. I hope you’re wrong but I do think there’s this weird small chance of like 30% that she could actually miss out. If she gets a nod for nomination I could also see her win.

ReplyCopy URL
    stuffy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Keeley has great material in that second episode. It’s definitely the one I would submit for her. It has the confrontation with Anne Sampson, the shooting, and the vulnerability/anger that followed.

ReplyCopy URL
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Saturday Night Takeaway will be nominated this year after what’s happened over the past year and with it not returning this year

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Saturday Night Takeaway will be nominated this year after what’s happened over the past year and with it not returning this year

It is likely yes.

I think Keeley has great material in that second episode. It’s definitely the one I would submit for her. It has the confrontation with Anne Sampson, the shooting, and the vulnerability/anger that followed.

I think that Bodyguard’s strongest nomination for Supporting Actress is Hawes. I can see it achieving two nominations in Supporting (most likely for Hawes and Mckee) but three won’t happen. I don’t see either Sophie Rundle or Pippa Haywood having a chance but I see it that Hawes will be nominated and if there is a second, it will be between McKee and Mohindra.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 222 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.