Home Forums Television BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 443 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
Gabarnes43
  • Profile picture
    sinasays
    Topics:

I’m sure Madden will get in but not win.

I thought Hawes was amazing in Mrs Wilson in terms of her performance but I  don’t think they’ll nominate her for it. But I’m sure it helps her case being in everyones mind with more than one great performance. I keep saying she’s great in The Durrells too. What’s the current situation with Killing Eve? Is it still not eligible?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    sinasays
    Topics:

Since you’re mentioning the Emmys. Since more and more big gun shows are not eligible do you think Hawes could sneak into support (with huge amounts of luck and maybe with a BAFTA win in her bag)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    stuffy
    Topics:

I’m not in the US, so I can’t tell how well-known Hawes outside the UK is, but probably barely, so what buzz she gets, she gets from the show and not on her own merit. I think Netflix will have to make up their minds if they want to push Bodyguard/Madden or Ozark/Bateman for the Emmys.

I didn’t know her at all, but I’m not in the industry voting for her. After watching Bodyguard, I realized there’s so many British shows I had no idea existed. I’ve been playing catch up not just on Keeley’s shows but others as well.

I wonder if Keeley will get some additional buzz in the US when Mrs. Wilson is shown on PBS and Traitors is made available on Netflix. I don’t know if Traitors will go to Netflix right after it’s done in the UK or if they’ll wait. It seems like it’ll be an interesting show.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by stuffy.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    sinasays
    Topics:

Just saw the Casting Directors Guild award went to Bodyguard, go figure.

that’s what I’m thinking…as far as I am aware she’s not known in the US, although critics praised her for Bodyguard and also The Missing on Starz.  But I was thinking that it’s not going to happen without a massive netflix campaign.  I think they’ll go for Ozark tbh. House of Cards is dead, The Crown not eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LiberianGirl12
    Topics:

I think Netflix will have to make up their minds if they want to push Bodyguard/Madden or Ozark/Bateman for the Emmys.

Why wouldn’t Netflix simply campaign for both at the Emmy’s? They clearly did at the Globes, with a more successful outcome for Bodyguard (nominated for Best Drama Series while Ozark didn’t get in, Madden winning over Bateman in Best Drama Actor).

I don’t see why this has to be an either / or decision. There are no other male drama actor contenders Netflix could go with given The Crown is a very female centric show. Tobias Menzies would be put in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LiberianGirl12
    Topics:

He’s got some backlash in the UK for rising above his station and as it has been pointed out, the Baftas detest popularity. He already won two big awards, while Grant and Cumberbatch so far have been totally ignored (and PM in my view is the most blatant award bait of 2018). Another interesting tidbit is that Madden was on the Bafta panel that selected the nominees for this year’s Rising Star award, which at least shows a degree of appreciation on the Academy’s part. We’ll see if that can be transformed into a nomination.

Really, there has been backlash against Madden? I didn’t see any, other than the odd comment or two from people who simply don’t like him and are annoyed that he is now appearing everywhere. And Madden is indeed appearing everywhere here in the UK, from award shows to talk shows, magazine covers, tabloids (constant Bond rumours) and now even charity events (Red Nose Day).

I get there is an argument to be made that BAFTA doesn’t usually reward that sort of thing (especially if there is huge success already in the US), but as you said why would they invite him to sit on the Rising Star panel and to be a presenter at the BAFTA film awards if they don’t appreciate his work? I just can’t imagine they would completely snub him for their television awards. Whether or not he will actually win is another story of course.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    sinasays
    Topics:

Why wouldn’t Netflix simply campaign for both at the Emmy’s? They clearly did at the Globes, with a more successful outcome for Bodyguard (nominated for Best Drama Series while Ozark didn’t get in, Madden winning over Bateman in Best Drama Actor). I don’t see why this has to be an either / or decision. There are no other male drama actor contenders Netflix could go with given The Crown is a very female centric show. Tobias Menzies would be put in supporting.

I thought The Crown was out?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

I’ve been lurking here for a while, mostly as a Bodyguard/Madden/Hawes fan, but now decided to come out to the light at least until the Emmys are done. So, that BFG list. It’s weird – they nominate Bodyguard but not Madden? If anything, it should be the other way round. And Patrick Melrose is a drama series since when (unless there is a second season in the making)? Conversely, you could put Bodyguard for limited, given that a second season is now in doubt due to Madden’s other possible, ah, engagements. That said, I think a Bafta snub for Madden is still possible. He’s got some backlash in the UK for rising above his station and as it has been pointed out, the Baftas detest popularity. He already won two big awards, while Grant and Cumberbatch so far have been totally ignored (and PM in my view is the most blatant award bait of 2018). Another interesting tidbit is that Madden was on the Bafta panel that selected the nominees for this year’s Rising Star award, which at least shows a degree of appreciation on the Academy’s part. We’ll see if that can be transformed into a nomination.

</p>
    Also, I believe Thackeray only wrote on Vanity Fair, so why is that in Best Drama Series?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sinasays
    Topics:

Never heard of it and haven’t seen it. It’s a 89% on Rotten Tomatoes…reviews are good – mediocre. So I guess it’s not terrible but not great either. Apparently they loved it at BPG

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So here are my predicitions for the major drama categories, based purely on gut feeling: DRAMA SERIES Bodyguard (wins if Killing Eve not eligible) – Dr Who – Save Me – The Durrells OR Killing Eve (wins if eligible) MINISERIES A Very English Scandal (wins) – Patrick Melrose – The Cry – Mrs Wilson OR Les Miserables OR Little Drummer Girl DRAMA ACTOR Hugh Grant (wins) – Benedict Cumberbatch – Dominic West – Richard Madden OR Lenny James OR Alexander Skarsgard DRAMA ACTRESS Jenna Coleman (wins if Comer not eligible) – Jodie Whittaker – Ruth Wilson – Sarah Lancashire OR Jodie Comer (wins if eligible) INTERNATIONAL Killing Eve (wins if in this category) – The Americans – The Assassination of Gianni Versace (wins if KE goes to Drama Series) – Sharp Objects OR Succession No need to bother about the supporting categories – Whishaw and Hawes will win here for certain. I can’t see how Bodyguard can lose Series if KE is out of the equation, as all the critically acclaimed shows are in Mini this year. And I seriously hope the Academy won’t bend the rules so that Comer could finally get an award. It would be a little too obvious.

It would be nice if you had read some of the other comments posted before you posted your predictions.

Les Miserables is not eligible for the 2019 TV BAFTAS as it only aired one ep in 2018 and missed the eligibility for BAFTA.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 443 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.