Home Forums Television BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

BAFTA TV Awards 2019 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 444 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
gabarnes43
  • kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

Hello everyone – I’m brand new here despite a few years of lurking. Felt compelled to join to discuss BAFTA TV (one of my favourite awards line-ups every year because of its generally impeccable taste and fully unpredictable line-ups!)

I tried to post this before but messed up the editing function and then seemingly deleted my entire post by accident! I’ll learn, hopefully…

I’ve loved reading everyone’s predictions and wanted to add a few notes about BAFTA TV to consider –

1) Unlike almost every other awards ceremony, nominees (and I think) winners are selected by a panel – there is no member-wide vote at any stage, unlike BAFTA Film, for example.

2) The panel is random and never repeats members year-on-year

3) Single episodes are submitted, which can really help some performances (while negating other slow-burn, series-long wonders)

3) This all basically ensures batshit nominations that are impossible to predict!

Until 2009 (that is the TV of 2009, 2010 ceremony), actors of colour were badly treated by the awards, with only Art Malik ever nominated since their inception in the late 60s. However, it seems that a diversity mandate was introduced then as their nominee slate since has been wonderful and very much focused on highlighting work by actors from minority groups.

– It’s usual for 3-4 nominees per year to be non-white and for around 7-9 nominees to be “newcomers” to the awards

– There’s no such thing as “a BAFTA favourite” due to the panel constantly changing – for example, Julie Walters, Olivia Colman and Gillian Anderson have all missed several times for great work in critical successes

– It’s hard to get nominated if you’re not British – only Jimmy Simpson, Anamaria Marinca and John Lithgow spring to mind from the past 20 years…

– Killing Eve will definitely not be eligible for acting categories (classed as International) – I will never understand why the BBC delayed its premiere in the UK for many months, when they could have just aired each episode a day before the USA…

I think that people are so far underestimating the following –

– Informer (in general)

– Michaela Cole in Black Earth Rising

– Alison Steadman in Care (possibly her best work ever)

– The Long Song (despite its dreaded “December Release”)

I agree with everyone predicting a shut-out of Bodyguard outside Series and Supporting Actress…

I believe that (for various reasons) Hugh Grant and Ruth Wilson are our Leading front-runners.

Can’t wait until nominations morning when everything that I’ve written above will be proved wrong!

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

3) Single episodes are submitted, which can really help some performances (while negating other slow-burn, series-long wonders)

Thank you for raising this. I think it’s the biggest thing that we all forget when making our winner predictions. People were shocked last year when Claire Foy lost but Vanessa Kirby won but in hindsight it’s hardly surprising. Foy’s subtle performance works well for a season but not necessarily an episode, which helped out Molly Windsor whose episode was full of big moments. Kirby meanwhile had less to do across the season but had “Beryl”, which is one of the most dynamite single episode performances I’ve ever seen on TV.

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you for raising this. I think it’s the biggest thing that we all forget when making our winner predictions. People were shocked last year when Claire Foy lost but Vanessa Kirby won but in hindsight it’s hardly surprising. Foy’s subtle performance works well for a season but not necessarily an episode, which helped out Molly Windsor whose episode was full of big moments. Kirby meanwhile had less to do across the season but had “Beryl”, which is one of the most dynamite single episode performances I’ve ever seen on TV.

100% agreed – in my opinion, it’s also (to take this reasoning further) why Thandie Newton was even nominated. Her character in Line Of Duty was the most dubiously-written “villain” so far and despite her considerable talent and effort, could never quite come together across the full series.

And yet her interrogation episode was immense, a master-class and probably only closely missed out to Windsor for the win in the end!

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Hello everyone – I’m brand new here despite a few years of lurking. Felt compelled to join to discuss BAFTA TV (one of my favourite awards line-ups every year because of its generally impeccable taste and fully unpredictable line-ups!) I tried to post this before but messed up the editing function and then seemingly deleted my entire post by accident! I’ll learn, hopefully… I’ve loved reading everyone’s predictions and wanted to add a few notes about BAFTA TV to consider – 1) Unlike almost every other awards ceremony, nominees (and I think) winners are selected by a panel – there is no member-wide vote at any stage, unlike BAFTA Film, for example. 2) The panel is random and never repeats members year-on-year 3) Single episodes are submitted, which can really help some performances (while negating other slow-burn, series-long wonders) 3) This all basically ensures batshit nominations that are impossible to predict! Until 2009 (that is the TV of 2009, 2010 ceremony), actors of colour were badly treated by the awards, with only Art Malik ever nominated since their inception in the late 60s. However, it seems that a diversity mandate was introduced then as their nominee slate since has been wonderful and very much focused on highlighting work by actors from minority groups. – It’s usual for 3-4 nominees per year to be non-white and for around 7-9 nominees to be “newcomers” to the awards – There’s no such thing as “a BAFTA favourite” due to the panel constantly changing – for example, Julie Walters, Olivia Colman and Gillian Anderson have all missed several times for great work in critical successes – It’s hard to get nominated if you’re not British – only Jimmy Simpson, Anamaria Marinca and John Lithgow spring to mind from the past 20 years… – Killing Eve will definitely not be eligible for acting categories (classed as International) – I will never understand why the BBC delayed its premiere in the UK for many months, when they could have just aired each episode a day before the USA… I think that people are so far underestimating the following – – Informer (in general) – Michaela Coel in Black Earth Rising – Alison Steadman in Care (possibly her best work ever) – The Long Song (despite its dreaded “December Release”) I agree with everyone predicting a shut-out of Bodyguard outside Series and Supporting Actress… I believe that (for various reasons) Hugh Grant and Ruth Wilson are our Leading front-runners. Can’t wait until nominations morning when everything that I’ve written above will be proved wrong!

I disagree with your suggestion for The Long Song having a chance. Maybe as a nod in Best Miniseries, but I don’t see it winning there. I forgot about Alison Steadman and I think she has a chance! I think Jenna Coleman and Jodie Whittaker have chances in Best Actress, a race I believe is too hard to call. I think Wilson, Coleman and Whittaker are shoo-ins for a nomination as well as Madden, Grant, Hawes, De la Tour. Etc.

I agree with your underestimations. I don’t see Informer having a strong enough chance as you seem to think. I also think we are underestimating the following:

• Michaela Coel for Black Earth Rising
    • Vanity Fair for Miniseries, De La Tour and Olivia Cooke
    • Alison Steadman for Care
    • Doctor Who
    • Gina McKee

FYC Emmys 2019 : Bodyguard, Jodie Comer, Bob Odenkirk, Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Ted Danson, Anna Chlumsky, Tony Shalhoub

and CHERNOBYL, Hugh Grant, Michelle Williams, Ben Whishaw, Vera Farmiga

ReplyCopy URL
    sinasays
    Participant
    Topics:

I have heard really good things about Informer so yeah…possible.

I also think that Ruth Wilson has a good shot as leading actress – tbh I thought she was amazing in Mrs Wilson.

And yes Gina McKee is a dark horse here and while I don’t think she did a better job than Hawes I do think she carried a huge part and very well so. One of my favourite scenes is actually that heated conversation between Gina McKee and Keeley Hawes. So there is that. Yes, there were more dramatic scenes etc. but it was just so very well acted and the rhythm of the scene was great and just wow. The nuance, the tone.

As for the panel and no BAFTA favourites – agreed. While I’m still sad over Gillian Anderson losing on more than one occasion, I love that they don’t cling to their previous choices (even for weak performances) like the Emmys do.

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Hello everyone – I’m brand new here despite a few years of lurking. Felt compelled to join to discuss BAFTA TV (one of my favourite awards line-ups every year because of its generally impeccable taste and fully unpredictable line-ups!) I tried to post this before but messed up the editing function and then seemingly deleted my entire post by accident! I’ll learn, hopefully… I’ve loved reading everyone’s predictions and wanted to add a few notes about BAFTA TV to consider – 1) Unlike almost every other awards ceremony, nominees (and I think) winners are selected by a panel – there is no member-wide vote at any stage, unlike BAFTA Film, for example. 2) The panel is random and never repeats members year-on-year 3) Single episodes are submitted, which can really help some performances (while negating other slow-burn, series-long wonders) 3) This all basically ensures batshit nominations that are impossible to predict! Until 2009 (that is the TV of 2009, 2010 ceremony), actors of colour were badly treated by the awards, with only Art Malik ever nominated since their inception in the late 60s. However, it seems that a diversity mandate was introduced then as their nominee slate since has been wonderful and very much focused on highlighting work by actors from minority groups. – It’s usual for 3-4 nominees per year to be non-white and for around 7-9 nominees to be “newcomers” to the awards – There’s no such thing as “a BAFTA favourite” due to the panel constantly changing – for example, Julie Walters, Olivia Colman and Gillian Anderson have all missed several times for great work in critical successes – It’s hard to get nominated if you’re not British – only Jimmy Simpson, Anamaria Marinca and John Lithgow spring to mind from the past 20 years… – Killing Eve will definitely not be eligible for acting categories (classed as International) – I will never understand why the BBC delayed its premiere in the UK for many months, when they could have just aired each episode a day before the USA… I think that people are so far underestimating the following – – Informer (in general) – Michaela Cole in Black Earth Rising – Alison Steadman in Care (possibly her best work ever) – The Long Song (despite its dreaded “December Release”) I agree with everyone predicting a shut-out of Bodyguard outside Series and Supporting Actress… I believe that (for various reasons) Hugh Grant and Ruth Wilson are our Leading front-runners. Can’t wait until nominations morning when everything that I’ve written above will be proved wrong!

Non-British/Irish Actors to be nominated over the past 20 years:

Anamaria Marinca
    John Lithgow
    Babou Ceesay (born in Britain, grew up in West Africa and of West African heritage)
    Jimmi Simpson
    Anupam Kher
    Brian F O’Byrne

It must be noted that the last three were all nominated last year, in the same category, perhaps it signals a shift in BAFTA’s discrimination against non-British and Irish actors?

FYC Emmys 2019 : Bodyguard, Jodie Comer, Bob Odenkirk, Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Ted Danson, Anna Chlumsky, Tony Shalhoub

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Drama Series

• Bodyguard
    • Doctor Who
    • the cry
    • Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • <i>Call</i> <i>The</i> <i>Midwife</i>

Best Mini Series

• Les Miserables
    • The Little Drummer Girl
    • A Very English Scandal
    • The ABC Murders

Best Actor

• Richard Madden- Bodyguard
    • Dominic West- Les Miserables
    • Sean Penn- The First
    • Hugh Grant- A Very English Scandal

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Best Actress</p>

• Jodie Comer- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Sandra Oh- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Jodie Whitaker- Doctor Who
    • Jenna Coleman- The Cry

Best Supporting Actress

• Keeley Hawes- Bodyguard
    • Olivia Colman- Les Miserables
    • Fiona Shaw- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Linda Bassett- Call the Midwife

Best Supporting Actor

• Ben Whishaw- A Very English Scandal
    • Kim Bodnia- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Josh O’Connor- Les Miserables
    • Rupert Grint- The ABC Murders

Best Entertainment Performance

• Graham Norton- The Graham Norton Show
    • Claudia Winkleman- Strictly Come Dancing
    • Adam Hills- The Last Leg
    • Michael McIntyre- Michael McIntyre’s Big Show

Best Entertainment Program

• Britain’s Got Talent
    • Michael McIntyre’s Big Show
    • Strictly Come Dancing
    • The Graham Norton Show

Best Continuing Drama

• Coronation Street
    • Casualty
    • Eastenders
    • Emmerdale

Best International

• The Assassination of Gianni Versace
    • The Kominsky Method
    • The Big Bang Theory

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  gabarnes43.

FYC Emmys 2019
    Killing Eve- All Categories Nominated ‘Sandra Oh for the win’

Fleabag for Series, lead actress and Supporting Actress ‘Colman’

Amy Adams and Hugh Grant

FYC OSCARS 2020- ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Saoirse Ronan’ ‘Maggie Smith’ ‘Emma Thompson’ ‘Late Night’

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Drama Series

• Bodyguard
    • Doctor Who
    • the cry
    • <i>Call</i> <i>The</i> <i>Midwife</i>

Best Mini Series

• Les Miserables
    • The Little Drummer Girl
    • A Very English Scandal
    • The ABC Murders

Best Actor

• Richard Madden- Bodyguard
    • Dominic West- Les Miserables
    • Sean Penn- The First
    • Hugh Grant- A Very English Scandal

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Best Actress</p>

• Jodie Comer- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Sandra Oh- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Jodie Whitaker- Doctor Who
    • Jenna Coleman- The Cry

Best Supporting Actress

• Keeley Hawes- Bodyguard
    • Olivia Colman- Les Miserables
    • Fiona Shaw- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Linda Bassett- Call the Midwife

Best Supporting Actor

• Ben Whishaw- A Very English Scandal
    • Kim Bodnia- Killing Eve (if elegible)
    • Josh O’Connor- Les Miserables
    • Rupert Grint- The ABC Murders

Best Entertainment Performance

• Graham Norton- The Graham Norton Show
    • Claudia Winkleman- Strictly Come Dancing
    • Adam Hills- The Last Leg
    • Michael McIntyre- Michael McIntyre’s Big Show

Best Entertainment Program

• Britain’s Got Talent
    • Michael McIntyre’s Big Show
    • Strictly Come Dancing
    • The Graham Norton Show

Best Continuing Drama

• Coronation Street
    • Casualty
    • Eastenders
    • Emmerdale

Best International

• The Assassination of Gianni Versace
    • The Kominsky Method
    • The Big Bang Theory

Interesting choices, what makes you put The Kominsky Method and Big Bang in International? A few things:

• Les Miserables is ineligible, the series aired in January 2019. I know the series premiered in the UK on 30 December 2018, but I don’t think the producers are going to submit it only one episode (one that didn’t even feature Olivia Colman or Josh O’Connor).
    • The Cry would be a miniseries
    • The First is ineligible I believe because it is American.
    • Your Grint and ABC Murders predictions look interesting, what makes you say Grint will get a nod and not Malkovitch?
    • Who would win in your noms predictions?
    • What are you predicting for comedy?

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Just had a look at the BAFTA timetable. Interesting that broadcasters are invited to submit their own submissions, what do we think the BBC, Netflix, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky have submitted as their choices?:

Thursday 3 January Submission deadline for programmes transmitted 1 – 31 December 2018, including performance categories

(17:00 GMT) Friday 11 January Round One voting opens

(12:00 GMT) Wednesday 23 January Round One voting closes

(12:00 GMT) Friday 25 January Broadcaster entries invited

Friday 1 February Deadline for broadcaster entries and for video submissions

(12:00 GMT) Monday 18 February Juries begin

Friday 22 March Juries end

Thursday 28 March Nominations announcement

Thursday 25 April Virgin TV British Academy Television Awards and British Academy Television Craft Awards Nominees’ Party

Sunday 12 May Virgin TV British Academy Television Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:
    • The Kominsky Method was received well by critics, the Big Bang theory is loved by British fans so they might want to reward it for its last series
    • I added Grint just to fill up the spots
    • I think that the first is elegible but I may be wrong
    • I forgot that Les Miserables was elegible, hoping to see that pop up at the emmys
    • Not sure about Comedy yet

FYC Emmys 2019

Amy Adams and Hugh Grant

FYC OSCARS 2020- ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Saoirse Ronan’ ‘Maggie Smith’ ‘Emma Thompson’ ‘Late Night’

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:
    • The Kominsky Method was received well by critics, the Big Bang theory is loved by British fans so they might want to reward it for its last series
    • I added Grint just to fill up the spots
    • I think that the first is elegible but I may be wrong
    • I forgot that Les Miserables was elegible, hoping to see that pop up at the emmys
    • Not sure about Comedy yet

Big Bang is still eligible next year for its final season (this year is only for programmes that have aired in 2018).

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom O'Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Kermit,

What wonderful insights and reminders you give us here. Thanks so much. I didn’t know that there’s no longer a popular vote at any stage of BAFTA TV voting. Fascinating!

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Killing Eve elegible for main awards this year?

FYC Emmys 2019

Amy Adams and Hugh Grant

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Killing Eve elegible for main awards this year?

Sadly it seems that unless the press are right and think BAFTA will give Eve an excuse (see Radio Times article on this) and nominate it for Drama series and Acting, it will not. However, BAFTA guidelines mean it is eligible for writing, directing and other crafts.

Kermit, What wonderful insights and reminders you give us here. Thanks so much. I didn’t know that there’s no longer a popular vote at any stage of BAFTA TV voting. Fascinating!

I believe there is still a popular vote during Round One voting. I think then these are put into a longlist which is voted on by this famous “jury”.

ReplyCopy URL
    kermit_the_frog
    Participant
    Topics:

Non-British/Irish Actors to be nominated over the past 20 years: Anamaria Marinca John Lithgow Babou Ceesay (born in Britain, grew up in West Africa and of West African heritage) Jimmi Simpson Anupam Kher Brian F O’Byrne It must be noted that the last three were all nominated last year, in the same category, perhaps it signals a shift in BAFTA’s discrimination against non-British and Irish actors?

I always assumed (without bothering to investigate) that Babou, Anupam and Brian were all British (or Irish in Brian’s case)! Thanks for the education!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 444 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.