Home Forums Television Best of 2017 Thread

Best of 2017 Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 170 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest2014
Riley
Marco B.
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought that The Handmaid’s Tale would be winning the Metacritic aggregate.  Good to see that it was just a fad and people have some more perspective now.  Slay, The Leftovers.  It has more first-place mentions, second-place mentions and lists in general than The Handmaid’s Tale right now and more than twice as many points.  I would still bet on The Handmaid’s Tale winning though, on Uproxx at least.  Betting against it would be betting on perhaps the greatest divide in the history of the TCA between the visible critics and silent critics who inexplicably retain TCA membership.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I truly believe that we watched an all-time great in The Leftovers season 3 (and will be remembered as such in the future).

But I’m glad that I’ve seen some American Crime rankings from critics. This last season is literally must-watch TV- its commentary on current America is so thorough. Who said network can’t do drama?! Twin Peaks was without doubt the 2nd best show of the year though.

I’m very pleasantly surprised to see the lack of Game of Thrones in many lists- it’s quite obviously now an average show if you take away the spectacle and this is starting to be reflected.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

^RE: GoT I think it’s been that way for a couple years now.

Edit: And yeah, I, too, am happy to see that THT isn’t just defaulting to no. 1 even after that Emmy sweep.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Stretchy.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I truly believe that we watched an all-time great in The Leftovers season 3 (and will be remembered as such in the future).

Twin Peaks was without doubt the 2nd best show of the year though.

I’m very pleasantly surprised to see the lack of Game of Thrones in many lists- it’s quite obviously now an average show if you take away the spectacle and this is starting to be reflected.

Welcome back, @mafro987 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

@marco B. can film season be over already so I can get back to being a regular on this site?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

@marco B. can film season be over already so I can get back to being a regular on this site?!

Nope – and even worse, no The Leftovers or Twin Peaks to discuss next year! Better enjoy the film ride maybe, after all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

TV Line had the Worst 10 shows, too: http://tvline.com/2017/12/06/worst-shows-2017-twin-peaks-marvels-iron-fist-tv/

1. Marvel’s Inhumans
    2. 9JKL
    3. Dirty Dancing
    4. Marvel’s Iron Fist
    5. Twin Peaks
    6. Friends from College
    7. Too Close to Home
    8. Daytime Divas
    9. Disjointed
    10. Still Starcrossed

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

5. Twin Peaks

This ruins the list

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure if there’s a thread for our personal top 10 but here are my top shows of the year, I did a top 15, but there’s still a lot of stuff I haven’t seen or am not caught up on.

1. The Leftovers
    2. Twin Peaks
    3. Blue Planet II
    4. BoJack Horseman
    5. Better Call Saul
    6. The Good Place
    7. American Crime
    8. The Handmaid’s Tale
    9. The Deuce
    10. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    11. Legion
    12. Rick and Morty
    13. The Americans
    14. The Young Pope
    15. Veep

ReplyCopy URL
    FadeIntercut
    Participant
    Topics:

What is generally the better year-end television critics list aggregator — Metacritic or Uproxx? A different source?

For film, I think They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They? is the most comprehensive and prestigious, but they release results in March.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

5. Twin Peaks

This ruins the list

It makes no sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Our first north of the 49th parallel top 10, from NowToronto:
    https://nowtoronto.com/movies/features/the-25-most-binge-worthy-shows-of-2017/

1. MASTER OF NONE
    2. TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN
    3. BIG LITTLE LIES
    4. BOJACK HORSEMAN
    5. BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW (CBC)
    6. THE DEUCE
    7. INSECURE
    8. THE GOOD PLACE: “The premise of Michael Schur’s afterlife comedy is almost diabolically simple: cynical, scheming Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) is welcomed into heaven even though she knows she doesn’t belong there and will do anything she can to keep her spot.

“Schur and his very resourceful writers – many of whom worked with him on Parks And Recreation and The Office – spin up a farce of magnificent complexity, with Ted Danson’s beaming “architect” Michael introducing Eleanor to three other newly departed souls (William Jackson Harper, Jameela Jamil and Manny Jacinto) and letting them bounce off one another – as well as the definitely not human afterlife assistant Janet (D’Arcy Carden).

“As Eleanor’s impostor syndrome gives way to genuine philosophical enquiry – do any of us deserve to be in the Bad Place? – a second-season pivot turns the show into a meta-commentary about keeping an audience watching once all the cards are on the table. (Or are they?) You can devour the first season on Netflix in a day, but I’d suggest you parcel it out a little. A pleasure like this is meant to be savoured.”

9. GAME OF THRONES
    10. 13 REASONS WHY

ReplyCopy URL
    Alienware
    Participant
    Topics:

What is generally the better year-end television critics list aggregator — Metacritic or Uproxx? A different source?

For film, I think They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They? is the most comprehensive and prestigious, but they release results in March.

I like Uproxx more, they have a better system and wider range of critics. Though so far both of them have always come up with the same winner and a relatively similar top 10.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety weighs in: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/best-tv-shows-of-2017-maureen-ryan-leftovers-good-place-halt-and-catch-fire-big-little-lies-1202632591/

1. The Leftovers
    2. One Day at a Time
    3. The Good Place
    4. Halt and Catch Fire
    5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.
    6. Jane the Virgin
    7. Better Things
    8. Alias Grace
    9. American Vandal
    10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

LA Daily News (non-alphabetical): http://www.dailynews.com/2017/12/08/best-tv-of-2017-game-of-thrones-looms-large-as-black-mirror-future-approaches/

Black Mirror
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Late-Night TV: (Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, John Oliver and Samantha Bee)
    The Vietnam War
    Fargo
    The Good Place
    Tie between Veep, Silicon Valley and Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Alias Grace
    Godless
    Game of Thrones

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 170 total)
Reply To: Best of 2017 Thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.