Home Forums Television Creative Arts Emmys 2020 Predictions

Creative Arts Emmys 2020 Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Rachel
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

The Creative Arts Emmys 2020 predictions center event is now active for 25 categories.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I am gonna hope-dict legend Cicely Tyson until the end, although I am fully aware that this is between Alexis Bledel and Cherry Jones, both of whom are endlessly deserving as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am gonna hope-dict legend Cicely Tyson until the end, although I am fully aware that this is between Alexis Bledel and Cherry Jones, both of whom are endlessly deserving as well.

If Cicely loses to Bledel I swear…

That being said they are both incredibly deserving.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be outraged because Bledel was phenomenal, but it’s time to reward Ms. Tyson for this role. But I have given up on narratives.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

I’m tempted to predict Cox. She has a last chance narrative and her win would be historical, which would definitely mix in with what this ceremony looks to be heading for when it comes to POC artists. Of course Tyson and Bledel can too, but the latter’s show being dead in the water in being competitive in any categories doesn’t make me want to predict her to repeat (albeit she has gone 3/3 like Samira so they clearly like her).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be outraged because Bledel was phenomenal, but it’s time to reward Ms. Tyson for this role. But I have given up on narratives.

Why you have you given up when narratives is going to help Watchmen (along with its quality of course) win Series and helped so many performers (especially Sandra Oh and Kerry Washington) this year? I think Cicely has a very good shot and I currently have her in 2nd (behind Jones).

Who should I predict for Guest Actor?

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Because Watchmen is nominated 26 times and is a masterpiece, as you would probably agree. I don’t know if voters care about Tyson’s work on the show or whether this is just a name-check. I have been disappointed far too often now to think she has a realistic shot at winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

I’m tempted to predict Cox.

Will be worth it if Leslie Jones presents.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

Because Watchmen is nominated 26 times and is a masterpiece, as you would probably agree. I don’t know if voters care about Tyson’s work on the show or whether this is just a name-check. I have been disappointed far too often now to think she has a realistic shot at winning.

This reminds me a lot us with Rigg…:(

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Will be worth it if Leslie Jones presents.

When she said “Emmy winner” and Cox was like what the fuck LMAO

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

A tie between Cicely Tyson and Phylicia Rashad would be amazing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No of course I’m not disputing Watchmen is a masterpiece (but you probably understand that as you inferred) but there’s no doubt it was helped in nominations by its narrative.

Then again maybe I should be pessimistic too. I had my hopes up last time round and don’t want to be disappointed!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

When she said “Emmy winner” and Cox was like what the fuck LMAO

Jones wasn’t wrong. Cox did win a Daytime Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

With how much press was around Phylicia Rashad never winning an Emmy when she got the nomination last year and the shock around Cherry Jones beating her, I can really see Rashad winning this year as a “makeup” for last year. You can already see that there’s a pushback to Jones winning last year when her performance on that show was snubbed this year when most would say she at least had a better tape (and that’s about the kindest thing you could say). I don’t think she can win back-to-back, albeit for a different performance, but I also can’t ignore that she’s on the buzziest contender in the race. I’m having a hard time believing that they’d make Alexis Bledel a two-time Emmy winner, though IMO she probably has the best performance in the category. I don’t think Laverne Cox is taking it, and for every argument I just made against Cherry Jones, I think she’s at least more likely than Harriet Walter if a “Succession” actress is winning here. And, of course, you can make the argument for Cicely Tyson to win, but we’ve been doing that for the duration of “How to Get Away with Murder”‘s run, so it’s either never going to happen or I’m going to look like an idiot when I give up that narrative and she finally does win.

Giancarlo Esposito seems well-positioned to win one of his nominations this year, and it seems to me like more Emmy voters are watching “The Mandalorian” than “Better Call Saul.” He doesn’t necessarily have undeniable competition here. Andrew Scott is benefitting from residual “Fleabag” love/making up for getting snubbed, plus he is the lead actor in his episode, which certainly doesn’t hurt even if it doesn’t help. James Cromwell was better in season one, but his show is stronger in season two. Ron Cephas Jones is a perennial nominee at this point but I don’t see a rush to give him another Emmy. I would buy Jason Bateman contending here if “The Outsider” had made an impact anywhere else, but they also just seem to like him so he’s at least a threat. Martin Short is beloved but I don’t think that or his show’s simply good nomination haul puts him into serious contention.

The toughest part about predicting Maya Rudolph is that I truly don’t know which role would garner her more votes. “The Good Place” and “SNL” both had good nomination totals this year, and I would not say her performance on one shines over the other (in fact, her best performance is her nominated performance for “Big Mouth,” so maybe that’s where she wins her Emmy). Bette Midler is a legend, but it’s clear they didn’t care about “The Politician,” although she doesn’t have to worry about splitting votes with Judith Light. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, like Andrew Scott, has residual “Fleabag” love and, again, that could be enough. Angela Bassett certainly can build a strong narrative and “A Black Lady Sketch Show” actually had a great nomination haul and has been getting big press, so a high-profile win here could make a lot of sense. However, you can make a similar argument for Wanda Sykes, who doesn’t have a performance Emmy but is clearly beloved on a top contender.

I know a lot has changed about the world, but it kind of feels like the two moments in the entertainment world everyone was in agreement on loving in these past eight months or so was “Parasite” winning Best Picture and Eddie Murphy’s “SNL” return/Christmas episode. It was the highest-rated episode of the show in a long time and garnered major press, and was also one of “SNL”‘s finest hours in a long time. I know things have changed but it seems insane to not recognize that now (and I know that could manifest itself in other ways, specifically Variety Directing, but you cannot deny Murphy’s role in the episode’s success). I guess the wildcard is if voters want to give Fred Willard a posthumous win, especially since he is Emmy-less and it would also be honoring an Emmys giant in its final season. You’ve also got Luke Kirby with another great turn, and I can’t tell if he is more or less of a threat since he is the returning champion. Adam Driver and especially Brad Pitt’s nominations are the kind of “SNL” movie star stamping that we normally don’t like to see, but at least Driver is great on “SNL” and Pitt is a nice celebrity. The Dev Patel nomination is great in that it shows voters clearly recognized the show having big stars eligible in Guest, but if you’d told me last week that Patel got nominated but Tina Fey missed Guest Actress, it would seem backwards, no? He’s great, but the competition is probably a bit too stiff.

These guest categories are a shit show always, so here are my predictions, but as seen above, anyone can win because there’s no telling what is happening if history is any indication:

Guest Actress – Drama: Phylicia Rashad (RU: Cherry Jones)
    Guest Actor – Drama: Giancarlo Esposito (RU: Andrew Scott)
    Guest Actress – Comedy: Wanda Sykes (RU: Maya Rudolph – “TGP”)
    Guest Actor – Comedy: Eddie Murphy (RU: Fred Willard)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

No of course I’m not disputing Watchmen is a masterpiece (but you probably understand that as you inferred) but there’s no doubt it was helped in nominations by its narrative.

But..there is? What nomination you think Watchmen wouldn’t get with it wasn’t by this political context?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.