Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Comedy Predictions and Analysis

Emmy Awards 2018 Comedy Predictions and Analysis

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
Created
6 days ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Eden
J H
  • Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Can some1 explain to me why Henry Winkler is #1? Ik, he’s never won an Emmy and he’s a 4-time nominee or something, but I absolutely hated his character, and I hope he doesn’t win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, I’ve watched neither Atlanta nor Marvelous, so is neither of Atlanta‘s writing nominated eps strong enough to win over Marvelous‘ pilot?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Can some1 explain to me why Henry Winkler is #1? Ik, he’s never won an Emmy and he’s a 4-time nominee or something, but I absolutely hated his character, and I hope he doesn’t win.

I’m not completely sure, maybe people think they’ll want to give him a career award, and I think most people liked him in the show. Barry also got a lot of nominations so if they want to give it something this might be the easiest category to reward it in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Meh. I liked Winkler better than Stephen Root to be honest. Winkler’s performance is good but he isn’t remarkably well-written. I don’t blame his acting for the quality of the shows writing, he did fine with what he was given to work with. I personally think Comedy Supporting Actor is between Baldwin (like it or not), recent Tony winner and multiple Emmy winner Shalhoub, and even last year’s snubbed (for Atlanta) Bryan Tyree Henry. I think Henry will win for now, but I’ll probably chicken out and switch to last year’s winner Baldwin by the time Emmy night rolls around. Tituss Burgess is of course my personal favorite of the nominees, but his nomination is clearly his reward, let’s be real here. At least he has his 3 Goldderby TV Awards to hold onto for the rest of his life as recognition of his excellent and original Kimmy Schmidt work. Better than nothing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, I’ve watched neither Atlanta nor Marvelous, so is neither of Atlanta‘s writing nominated eps strong enough to win over Marvelous‘ pilot?

Neither is a consensus standout among the other. Teddy Perkins would have easily won this category if nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Teddy Perkins for sure winning directing? It’s definitely the standout episode but what if they just vote for Glover without looking at the episodes?

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

People who love the show tend love his character and performance the most. GD didn’t give it a warm reception and the only praise it receives here is usually a very unenthusiastic “it gets a lot better.” But it’s just one of those shows this place will late on. Barry is very much a threat to win best comedy. Atlanta and Maisel have a leg up but Barry is still very much a dark horse.

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

Neither is a consensus standout among the other. Teddy Perkins would have easily won this category if nominated.

Teddy Perkins was extremely polarizing and seems like it would be a risky call. I don’t think it would have won for writing and if it wins directing it’ll be really surprising to me. I assume it’s the episode the guy who directed his This is America video. All hype to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Teddy Perkins was extremely polarizing

From who? I haven’t heard a single whisper against it?

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

Teddy Perkins was extremely polarizing

From who? I haven’t heard a single whisper against it?

People who haven’t drank the Hiro Murai kool-aid. There was a decent segment of people who thought it was just weird and derivative. The support may have been louder but it wasn’t overwhelming. It was talked about a lot. Maybe polarizing is the wrong word to use but plenty felt it deviated too much and the praise wasn’t universal.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Hot take: Barry’s 2 Writing nominations should have gone to both of Bojack Horseman’s submitted episodes “Ruthie” and “Stupid Piece of Shit.” I have yet to see the Silicon Valley Season finale so I can’t fairly judge that. Netflix didn’t campaign as hard for Bojack as HBO did for Barry, so the former better-written show gets snubbed by the writers branch while the latter show with the less funny and worse-paced writing gets shut out by that same branch. As strange as this sounds, I’m less okay with Bojack getting snubbed for Writing than I am about Animated Program, because at least even though The Simpsons is old as f**k they seemed to bother to submit a decent episode. None of the Animated Program nominees stand out as being genuinely undeserving unlike Barry with its Writing nominations, that’s why Bojack’s snubs there bother me more even though it had way less of a realistic chance getting into Writing than it did getting into Animated Program.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Teddy Perkins for sure winning directing? It’s definitely the standout episode but what if they just vote for Glover without looking at the episodes?

I think Teddy Perkins is safe to win Directing (not gonna be crazy and call it a lock) largely because of how Donald Glover singled out Hiro Murai in his Emmy acceptance speech for Directing last year. Plus, Murai also did solid work with helming a couple Barry episodes so he’s been getting out there doing other non-Atlanta stuff that the Emmys love, which can only help him with voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    probablyROB
    Participant
    Topics:

Bojack is my favorite show and I think one of the two episodes would have been a deserving nomination over Barry’s Pilot but “Loud, Fast, and Keep Going” was extremely well-written and is currently my pick to win. Silicon Valley has always been dog crap though so if anyone were to get dropped in favor of anything else it should be that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Bojack is my favorite show and I think one of the two episodes would have been a deserving nomination over Barry’s Pilot but “Loud, Fast, and Keep Going” was extremely well-written and is currently my pick to win. Silicon Valley has always been dog crap though so if anyone were to get dropped in favor of anything else it should be that.

Funny you should say that, because I thought “Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast, and Keep Going” of Barry was superior to the pilot and would make an incredible win-worthy submission for Bill Hader. “Chapter One” did a solid job setting up the storyline and characters, but it wasn’t more impressive than the “Ruthie” episode of Bojack, so even if you simply took out the Barry premiere OR the season finale of the now stale Silicon and replaced it with that WGA-nominated Bojack episode I can think of very few people who would have complained.

ReplyCopy URL

I do not know what you are talking about with “Teddy Perkins”. It has 9.7 on IMDb, the best rating of the series (2636 ratings). 100% of the thirteen reviews that Rotten Tomatoes tallied were positive, with a 9.12 average rating. It absolutely would have carried the entire Atlanta bloc in writing to challenge The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

“Alligator Man” and “Barbershop” are more likely to split votes and also less likely to inspire passion in the first place. The writers’ branch is one of the few for which episodes can still matter, like when “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia” beat the American Crime Story pilot written by the creators. If an Atlanta episode does win, it will be “Alligator Man” because it is the season premiere that establishes the season’s weighty Robbin’ Season premise, was written by Donald Glover and has a memorable set piece involving an alligator. “Barbershop” is much less important and actually pretty comedic (read: light) by Atlanta standards.

I do not see “Teddy Perkins” overcoming vote-splitting in directing. Names make a big difference with them, as they are actually on the ballot. They will actively have to choose between “Teddy Perkins” and Donald Glover.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.