Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions and Analysis

Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions and Analysis

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 244 total)
Created
6 days ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
VeraDoyle
Mukund
Awards Fanatic
  • VeraDoyle
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>MBB was fine in season 2. I know I said she was bad but I mostly said that because I thought she would take a spot away from someone, but everyone else I wanted made it anyway. I will say though that she looks like a joke in this category. If voters do watch the episodes, yikes. Everyone gives a powerhouse performance and then comes Brown…</p>

You know I love you, but the reality is different. People are mostly blown away by child actress MBB who is way more mature and intelligent than kid actors her age. Her sensitive and heartbreaking portray in Stranger Things is still a fan favorite. I know Stranger Things and Brown especially are hated in this forum, but there is a whole different world out there. It’s like when people were so convinced that Comer is going to happen over Oh, or that neither will get in. Gold Derby has it’s preferences, but it’s not always the consensus all overall. MBB is popular and so is her performance, and her show.

I’ve seen a lot of hate over Brown’s nomination on Twitter most fans are upset that Schnapp didn’t get nominated.

Yes, they are. But MBB is still really popular. Based on this Thandie Newton is not winning because all her interviews and appearances on YT has many dislikes…. It’s just not how it works. In the voting the supporters matter, not the haters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the recent trends on Gold derby I’ll never understand is the credence being given to what 12yo kids do on twitter. This so-called MBB haters are still the ones who voted for her Kids Choice and MTV awards wins. She’s uber popular and well liked, let’s not try to pretend otherwise.

Also, @ Luca G., calling her inclusion here a joke and saying she looks out of place and undermining her performance is ignoring the very reason why she’s here in the first place: She’s a child! and her performance is impressive, just because she’s not yelling and screaming and being a mean bitch doesn’t make her unworthy. She’s playing her child role and doing it well. That’s why she’s here and her 2 consecutive individual SAG noms tells us it’s not a fluke.

Resident Stranger Things/Netflix stan!

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think game of thrones supporters will prioritize Headey first

They never did this in the past six seasons, why would they change their minds suddenly? It is not like she gave the best performance of her career this season or this season was big for her in any way.

Diana Rigg and Peter Dinklage are the closest to win Emmys from GOT cast due to the underwhelming nominees in their categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Evan Rachel Wood

Alexis Bledel

Nikolaj Coster Waldau

Ed Harris

These would be some fun winners. Not exactly the best, but cool and fun winners for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Enough with the overblown Strahovski hype already! Kirby actually did in The Crown Season 2 what people pretend Strahovski did in THT Season 2, which was completely steal the show from the lead of the series with a vulnerable sympathetic “ice queen” type of performance that really stood out among the performances not just from that category but in the year of TV in general, which is really saying something since I’m pretty sure that Kirby had way less screen time in her season that Strahovski had. Watch the Crown episodes “Beryl” and “Matrimonium.” Her and Matthew Goode’s performances are mesmerizing. She may have had less time onscreen than Strahovski but she did a lot more with it in my opinion. “Beryl” probably won her the Bafta. Not that episodes matter in general with the Emmys, but I do think acting branch voters are watching The Crown, so her performance in that episode could actually make a big difference if she ends up winning. Too bad both Dowd (“June” and “Other Women”) and Bledel (“Unwomen”) and even MBB (“Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister”) have win-worthy episodes as well. :\

ReplyCopy URL
    DCurrie
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Headey has it this year.

I truly think she was close to be left out of the nominees list.

I think so, too…..

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Brown was easily the MVP for the first season; Ahmed had a breakthought performance and was the truly lead; I don’t need to explain why Kidman won, you just nee to watch; McKinnon was the one who eas playing Hillary just after the election; Dern a veteran actress winning over Woodley and Dowd winning was one of the big misterys ever but she was nominated for The Leftovers too so they just like her as Aunt Lydia and she is a respected vereran actress.

So: “vote splitting is a big thing.” “Just not in this case or this case or this case or this case or this case or this case at one awards ceremony alone!” Okay then.

Exactly lol. We can make excuses all around, but if a performance is strong/buzzed enough it can win over the internal competition.

This is literally what I said.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, the one must-win category for The Crown is Period Costumes. Looking at that competition, none of them come close quality-wise to the beauty and gorgeously detailed craftsmanship of Jane Petrie’s work on The Crown Season 2, not even Mrs. Maisel to be honest. The Crown deserves to win Costumes purely on merit for “Dear Mrs. Kennedy,” an episode that as a whole only gets better with me the more it resonates.

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

Shows which had 3+ major individual (i.e. not program) noms each year:
    2018 Ozark*, Handmaid, GoT, Crown, Stranger Things, Westworld, Americans VII
    2017 Americans*, Handmaid, Westworld, Saul, Crown, Stranger Things, This is Us, House of Cards VIII
    2016 Ray Donovan*, Americans, GoT, Downton, House of Cards V
    2015 GoT, Saul, House of Cards, Mad Men IV
    2014 Good Wife*, Breaking Bad, Downton, GoT, House of Cards, True Detective VI
    2013 Breaking Bad, Downton, GoT, Homeland, House of Cards, Mad Men VI
    2012 Good Wife*, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Downton, Mad Men V
    2011 Justified*, Killing*, Mad Men, Boardwalk, Friday Night Lights, GoT, Good Wife VII
    2010 Friday Night Lights*, Damages*, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Good Wife, Lost VI

Last year was super crowded and competitive allowing Americans to be bumped off. While 2015 was esp weak, with multiple slot fillers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I just think there is no frontrunner out of The Handmaid’s Tale girls, so Newton, Headey, or Kirby can take advantage.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I just think there is no frontrunner out of The Handmaid’s Tale girls, so Newton, Headey, or Kirby can take advantage.

If only Bledel lost last year then Dowd would be the obvious frontrunner, and vice versa. Game of Thrones under-performed with the actors branch so this really does not feel like Headey’s year. Watch out for Millie Bobby Brown or more likely Thandie Newton winning. Both were nominated last year unlike Kirby or for that matter Strahovski and have killer episodes to submit with “Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister” and “Akane No Mai,” respectively.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

If only Bledel lost last year then Dowd would be the obvious frontrunner, and vice versa. Game of Thrones under-performed with the actors branch so this really does not feel like Headey’s year. Watch out for Millie Bobby Brown or more likely Thandie Newton winning. Both were nominated last year unlike Kirby or for that matter Strahovski and have killer episodes to submit with “Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister” and “Akane No Mai,” respectively.

The Crown getting Matt Smith in, despite that pay gap controversy indicates that it does have support within this branch. Kirby has the acclaim and the buzz, not to mention this being the only chance they have of rewarding her. She also has a strong campaigner like Netflix behind her. She can absolutely take this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I also don’t buy MBB being ahead of Headey. Game of Thrones would have gotten both it’s lead stars if they had stayed in supporting, though I am glad that they didn’t. Nikolaj got in on his seventh try. That shows support, though not as much as something like THT. 4 acting nominations are still better than ST’s 2. Even though I liked ‘The Lost Sister’, it’s still the most divisive and the least liked episode of the series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I just want Foy to win, SO BADLY. After, Djawadi, she’s the one I’m most rooting for. I just wish the Emmys would judge someone based on an entire season, and not just a single episode.

Foy’s performance doesn’t have the same impact if you watch only a single episode compared to an entire season. Only in the latter can you realise how perfectly she handles this character, how she makes this character’s growth subtle, organic and believable, how she comes off as extremely natural in this role and how she makes Elizabeth wiser and more mature with each passing episode. She is everything in this role. And I love Kirby but Foy is the real MVP of this season. Just because she doesn’t have a big episode like Beryl doesn’t mean she is any less. She is far above anyone else nominated by the Emmys in ANY category this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

The Crown getting Matt Smith in, despite that pay gap controversy indicates that it does have support within this branch. Kirby has the acclaim and the buzz, not to mention this being the only chance they have of rewarding her. She also has a strong campaigner like Netflix behind her. She can absolutely take this.

If Netlix is able to successfully keep up momentum for Cameron Britton, Vanessa Kirby, and Claire Foy to propel them to wins in spite of their underdog statuses for The Crown and to a vastly greater extent Mindhunter, then they will have made many a Goldderby forum poster very happy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 244 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.