Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions and Analysis

Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions and Analysis

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 546 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
Luca Giliberti
Ivo Stoyanov
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Call me crazy, and I admit I was doubting his chances earlier in the Emmy season, but in spite of being Mindhunter’s only nomination I think he can still win. No one else has any kind of narrative like the “Emmy I.O.U.” or “genuine passion.” Britton may be a newcomer but he certainly has the most widely talked about and I would be bold enough to say the most acclaimed performance of the contenders. If they are passionate Britton wins. If they are sheep and vote for what’s popular then Ron Cephas Jones wins (I just can’t buy a McRaney repeat). If they are stupid F. Murray Abraham wins for the one scene he had in the entire season, apparently? If that was the case Abraham would be the male version of Margo Martindale. Let’s not act like that travesty couldn’t happen, because like with Martindale when she finally won as Claudia this isn’t Abraham’s first Emmy nomination as Dar Adal. It would certainly be a literally upsetting upset on a mostly universal level if Abraham won, but I think we get at least a couple of those every Emmy year throughout history simply due to there being so many categories.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>MBB was fine in season 2. I know I said she was bad but I mostly said that because I thought she would take a spot away from someone, but everyone else I wanted made it anyway. I will say though that she looks like a joke in this category. If voters do watch the episodes, yikes. Everyone gives a powerhouse performance and then comes Brown…</p>

You know I love you, but the reality is different. People are mostly blown away by child actress MBB who is way more mature and intelligent than kid actors her age. Her sensitive and heartbreaking portray in Stranger Things is still a fan favorite. I know Stranger Things and Brown especially are hated in this forum, but there is a whole different world out there. It’s like when people were so convinced that Comer is going to happen over Oh, or that neither will get in. Gold Derby has it’s preferences, but it’s not always the consensus all overall. MBB is popular and so is her performance, and her show.

Exactly, very well said, MBB is beloved in the real world, she was the MVP in season 2 along with Schnapp, she is incredible performer and her performance is as good as the other 6 in her category.

Anonymous
    Topics:

Cameron Britton reminds me of Laurie Metcalf. She was beat by Martindale. Abraham reeks of being this years Martindale.

VeraDoyle
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>MBB was fine in season 2. I know I said she was bad but I mostly said that because I thought she would take a spot away from someone, but everyone else I wanted made it anyway. I will say though that she looks like a joke in this category. If voters do watch the episodes, yikes. Everyone gives a powerhouse performance and then comes Brown…</p>

You know I love you, but the reality is different. People are mostly blown away by child actress MBB who is way more mature and intelligent than kid actors her age. Her sensitive and heartbreaking portray in Stranger Things is still a fan favorite. I know Stranger Things and Brown especially are hated in this forum, but there is a whole different world out there. It’s like when people were so convinced that Comer is going to happen over Oh, or that neither will get in. Gold Derby has it’s preferences, but it’s not always the consensus all overall. MBB is popular and so is her performance, and her show.

Exactly, very well said, MBB is beloved in the real world, she was the MVP in season 2 along with Schnapp, she is incredible performer and her performance is as good as the other 6 in her category.

Finally we are on the same page.

VeraDoyle
    Participant
    Topics:

I just think there is no frontrunner out of The Handmaid’s Tale girls, so Newton, Headey, or Kirby can take advantage.

Oh cannot wait when it’s going to be MBB over those three. I’d fucking love the GD reactions lol

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Enough with the overblown Strahovski hype already! Kirby actually did in The Crown Season 2 what people pretend Strahovski did in THT Season 2, which was completely steal the show from the lead of the series with a vulnerable sympathetic “ice queen” type of performance that really stood out among the performances not just from that category but in the year of TV in general, which is really saying something since I’m pretty sure that Kirby had way less screen time in her season that Strahovski had. Watch the Crown episodes “Beryl” and “Matrimonium.” Her and Matthew Goode’s performances are mesmerizing. She may have had less time onscreen than Strahovski but she did a lot more with it in my opinion. “Beryl” probably won her the Bafta. Not that episodes matter in general with the Emmys, but I do think acting branch voters are watching The Crown, so her performance in that episode could actually make a big difference if she ends up winning. Too bad both Dowd (“June” and “Other Women”) and Bledel (“Unwomen”) and even MBB (“Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister”) have win-worthy episodes as well. :\

Nope, you are just biased with THT, but voters are not, they share my opinion and they clearly love the show. Strahovski has 6 tapes, not just 2 like Kirby. Strahovski can win, all the voter remember that Dowd and Bledel won last year.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ve only experienced one year without preferential ballots, so we can’t tell for sure, but I think the way is very much open for either Kirby or Headey to win, with the 3 THT actresses vote-splitting a la GoT S6 (though it was preferential ballot). Newton and Brown’s moments were last year, so I think they’re the weaker ones, but wouldn’t be surprised to see Newton win due to getting robbed last year, as with these ridic noms this year, they seem to have wanted to make amends with actors they snubbed or robbed last year, so it’s not impossible they go that route too when to award someone.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t even know if I should be asking this question in this thread, but what episodes do you guys think the Drama nominees will be submitting?

J H
    Participant
    Topics:

I see a lack of evidence of vote splitting. Maggie Smith getting a farewell gift was a classic Emmy choice.

DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

Sometimes I like to think about Dinklage’s win over Jonathan banks at 2015 and remember we might still have a small chance after all

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m rooting for MBB. I think she had way more to work with in S2. A THT win would be lame.

DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m rooting for Headey though  Strahovski and Dowd would be kinda deserving too- however MBB is IMO the worst possible option they could chose, she has no business winning an Emmy whatsoever. At least for now

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Sometimes I like to think about Dinklage’s win over Jonathan banks at 2015 and remember we might still have a small chance after all

I thought Dinklage’s win for S5 was because of the Academy not rewarding him a year earlier for S4. I feel the same way about Mendelsohn. He was most likely second behind Dinklage in 2015, not Banks.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ve only experienced one year without preferential ballots, so we can’t tell for sure, but I think the way is very much open for either Kirby or Headey to win, with the 3 THT actresses vote-splitting a la GoT S6 (though it was preferential ballot). Newton and Brown’s moments were last year, so I think they’re the weaker ones, but wouldn’t be surprised to see Newton win due to getting robbed last year, as with these ridic noms this year, they seem to have wanted to make amends with actors they snubbed or robbed last year, so it’s not impossible they go that route too when to award someone.

2016 wasn’t preferential.

DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Dinklage’s win for S5 was because of the Academy not rewarding him a year earlier for S4. I feel the same way about Mendelsohn. He was most likely second behind Dinklage in 2015, not Banks.

yeah that’s how I perceived it as well, however it was definitely against all odds and literally no one predicted him to actually win over banks. Lol even he didn’t bother to throw away his chewing gum before the announcement because he never thought he’d win.

GoT’s been losing to BrBa in the acting categories for years, yet they still chose Dinklage over the well deserved BrBa veteran that did a pretty good job that year. This year most people predict THT to win everything based on last year, but last year GoT wasn’t even in the competition so we can’t really know what the academy prefers between the two. And I’m not talking specifically about the acting categories, im talking about everything. The same happened that year with David and Dan, winning writing vs the fucking series finale of multiple years winner Mad Men, against everyone’s predictions. If anything what we DO know now that we didn’t know then is GoT holds the record for most wins by a drama series for 2 years in a row. Or maybe I’m just being optimistic

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  DvirBA.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  DvirBA.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 546 total)

The topic ‘Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions and Analysis’ is closed to new replies.