Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 620 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Diet Teridax
Luca Giliberti
Ivo Stoyanov
  • Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry but what’s all that with the opening shot of The Handmaid’s Tale’s submission? I mean it obviously had some great material there but I find that episode to be truly nothing special, just a random episode in the middle. The show is known for its beautiful scenery and I find this episode as nothing exceptional compared to that. IMO it’s most definitely the wrong submission on this season. Also if you look at Podeswa’s episode from GoT, it’s like every other shot there is an art piece, aside from the obvious notable scenes.

Because it’s gorgeously shot and is extremely emotional. I agree that Podeswa’s episode is phenomenal but all of the 5 submissions I have seen here (I haven’t seen Ozark) are amazing. It’s hard for me to say what is the best directed. The “Most” directed (which is GOT) will also be at an advantage, which is sad sometimes. The Crown’s episode IMO is masterfully directed as well, but suffers because it doesn’t have dragons and white walkers.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

The Americans have no chance of winning series neither is The Crown.

I agree with you, and it’s a shame. The Americans and The Crown had better seasons that THT and GOT did, hands down.

I’d wouldn’t be upset if The Crown won, God’s know it deserved more than last year “winner”. In the case of The Americans is clearly a filler nominee; I liked this final season a lot but there’s no passion for The American among academy voters, how couldn’t get a single nomination for hairstyling, sound, music supervision, picture editing (where THT is nominated) or Directing, i meant, is incredible that people think Ozark has better directing than The Americans and twice as much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with you, and it’s a shame. The Americans and The Crown had better seasons that THT and GOT did, hands down.

I’d wouldn’t be upset if The Crown won, God’s know it deserved more than last year “winner”. In the case of The Americans is clearly a filler nominee; I liked this final season a lot but there’s no passion for The American among academy voters, how couldn’t get a single nomination for hairstyling, sound, music supervision, picture editing (where THT is nominated) or Directing, i meant, is incredible that people think Ozark has better directing than The Americans and twice as much.

That’s exactly why I don’t think it will win anything. Sure, Rhys and “START” have a chance at winning, but not much a chance. People keep bringing up “Friday Night Lights” but that was under the old system, so I am not entirely sure why that argument is being used. The Americans has no below-the-line support despite being a period drama. The actors branch only nominated Rhys and Russell, but their favorite Martindale couldn’t get in last year and this year in supporting? I think there’s a chance it might not pick up anything.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I do find it interesting that FNL actually did great with Casting – 4 noms including a win.
    Vs. 0 noms for Americans.

as far as i can tell, all the multiple time drama casting nominated shows with at least one major acting nom ended up with at least one major Emmy.

Series – GoT, Mad Men, Sopranos, West Wing, 24, ER, L&O, Lost, Handmaid, Homeland, NYPD, Practice
    Actress – Good Wife, Brothers and Sisters, Damages, Once and Again
    Actor – FNL
    S Actress – Downton, Grey’s, Orange
    S Actor – Crown
    Directing – House of Cards, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, House,
    Six Feet Under

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s exactly why I don’t think it will win anything. Sure, Rhys and “START” have a chance at winning, but not much a chance. People keep bringing up “Friday Night Lights” but that was under the old system, so I am not entirely sure why that argument is being used. The Americans has no below-the-line support despite being a period drama. The actors branch only nominated Rhys and Russell, but their favorite Martindale couldn’t get in last year and this year in supporting? I think there’s a chance it might not pick up anything.

I don’t understand this argument. It’s not like the below the line categories are gonna be voting for writing or acting, so why would it affect The Americans’ chances here. It isn’t winning Drama Series because of that reason but it has a legitimate shot at winning Writing. It has won WGA Dramatic Series prize and it was the first major category it broke through in. The competition isn’t as strong as previous years and IMO, TA is the clear standout. It has the acclaim and the buzz, which might not be as big as some people think but is still substantial, it’s TCA wins prove that. Master of None won Writing in 2016 in a very similar scenario, though it’s biggest competitor Veep did suffer from vote splitting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Master of None’s win is not very comparable.

Given that Ansari had 4 simultaneous major nominations and Writing was the easiest place to give him a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Master of None’s win is not very comparable. Given that Ansari had 4 simultaneous major nominations and Writing was the easiest place to give him a win.

Different people voted in different categories (except series, of course). If the writers voted for him, it wasn’t because the actors or directors didn’t vote for him, which the writers couldn’t know anyway. Unlike the Oscars, everyone doesn’t vote in every category. So it’s not like voters were going, I am not gonna vote for him in directing or acting, so I better vote for him in writing in order to give him a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry but what’s all that with the opening shot of The Handmaid’s Tale’s submission? I mean it obviously had some great material there but I find that episode to be truly nothing special, just a random episode in the middle. The show is known for its beautiful scenery and I find this episode as nothing exceptional compared to that. IMO it’s most definitely the wrong submission on this season. Also if you look at Podeswa’s episode from GoT, it’s like every other shot there is an art piece, aside from the obvious notable scenes.

Because it’s gorgeously shot and is extremely emotional. I agree that Podeswa’s episode is phenomenal but all of the 5 submissions I have seen here (I haven’t seen Ozark) are amazing. It’s hard for me to say what is the best directed. The “Most” directed (which is GOT) will also be at an advantage, which is sad sometimes. The Crown’s episode IMO is masterfully directed as well, but suffers because it doesn’t have dragons and white walkers.

Dear Mrs Kennedy should have been Stephen Daldry’s submission for sure! “Paterfamilias” I think will really suffer due to how unlikable Prince Phillip is. His tragic backstory did not make me sympathetic to him. This quote “Teddy Perkins” quote really sums up my frustrations with Phillip in that episode with how he treated his son, “But your dad should have said sorry. I’m sorry. Shit. I went through daddy shit myself. But when you’re young, you try to just… make it be okay and say everything’s gonna be fine. And that’s just, you don’t know the difference, but… that don’t give you an excuse to grow up and repeat the same shit over and over.”

I know it is based on true stories in The Crown, but the Kennedy episode has characters you deeply cared about in their storylines, while I absolutely loathed Phillip in that episode and I think many Emmy voters will feel the same way towards him.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t think Phillip was as unlikable as you seem to think. His backstory did make him much more sympathetic and it was a significantly big part of the episode as well. His actions towards Charles are inexcusable but I don’t think that prevents people to feel sorry for him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Paterfamilias is way better than Dear Mrs Kennedy. You are right about Philip, but that is not related to the directional and writing achievements, both are truly exceptional, while Dear Mrs Kennedy had very divisive writing, since it adds many made-up things and shows the Kennedys as very cartoonish characters, which results in a very poor performance of a great actor like Michael C. Hall , Daldry should´ve directed him better… For me, and I know that for many others, Paterfamilias is the best episode of the second season, it´s so complex, layered, it shows how the same experience can be very contrasting for two different people. I don´t think that sympathy is huge factor, but if it is, while you hate Philip, you managed to understand his behavior, also, you do love and empathize completely with Charles, the finale of the episode when we are explained what decision Charles made about his own children is gut wrenching and heartbreaking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael J. Fox

Michael C. Hall

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t think Phillip was as unlikable as you seem to think. His backstory did make him much more sympathetic and it was a significantly big part of the episode as well. His actions towards Charles are inexcusable but I don’t think that prevents people to feel sorry for him.

I didn’t feel sorry for him. He didn’t deserve the hell he got as a kid yet that doesn’t give him the right to make the exact same cruel mistakes in how he treated his own son. You didn’t find him unlikable, fine. I thought Smith’s performance was excellent in that episode, but the Directing won’t be enough to overcome Podeswa, though Dear Mrs. Kennedy I think would have at least been a possibility.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael J. Fox

Michael C. Hall

Yes, thanks, I made a silly mistake.

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

The Americans is winning “Emmys 2018 Poll: What Should Win for Outstanding Drama Series?” on TV Line. It’s nice to see a serie like this winning for popular vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

The Americans is winning “Emmys 2018 Poll: What Should Win for Outstanding Drama Series?” on TV Line. It’s nice to see a serie like this winning for popular vote.

Maybe if the Emmys had a “Best Popular TV Show” category The Americans would win that while the special effects filled genre show Game of Thrones won the regular “Drama Series” category.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 620 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.