Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

Emmy Awards 2018 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 620 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Ivo Stoyanov
Mukund
  • Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Has Russell being excellent for 6 years?, are we forgetting the first three season?…

Maybe you are forgetting them, yes. She was excellent in the first three season as well, the fact that Rhys was better does not mean that she was not incredible. They were both exceptional for 6 years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel the writing was lacking for Russell character in the first three seasons. Elisabeth was mostly presented as a foil to Rhys’s more sympathetic and “complex” character. We rarely got to see Elisabeth deal with any internal conflict, which we got plenty of in the last several seasons. And Russell’s best moments early on was when she was dealing with motherhood, which we also got plenty of in the last seasons.

This is absolutely not true, is not even a matter of opinion. She is one of the best characters on TV since season one. She had a numerous internal conflicts, the best episode of the first three seasons – “Do Mail Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?” is dedicated to her and to her internal conflicts. SPOILERS In the first season she deals with her marriage problems and with her love towards another man. In the second she is deeply affected by the murder of her spy family friends. In season 3 she deals with Page and the discovery that she makes about their real profession among other things. Elizabeth has plenty of action scenes, we often see her play other characters since episode one. We see her having a different conflicts during the ENTIRE show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn I see those Netflix promotional ads everyone haha..

Wouldnt it be smart of HBO to release a teaser trailer for GoT now that the voting is taking place to heat everyone up again? Seems like they’re not even trying in the promotion department, compared to their competition

FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, Miguel Sapochnik (“Game of Thrones”) for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn I see those Netflix promotional ads everyone haha.. Wouldnt it be smart of HBO to release a teaser trailer for GoT now that the voting is taking place to heat everyone up again? Seems like they’re not even trying in the promotion department, compared to their competition

I’ve been seeing nothing but HBO ads for the past day or two… except Westworld. Weirdly, I’ve been seeing ads for Game of Thrones, Barry, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, I’ve seen even Curb Your Enthusiasm pop up a bunch. Still, nothing for the show with 21 Emmy nominations is truly bizarre. :\

Maybe they want to focus on GoT in drama. Westworld can be a major hurdle for it to winning things.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn I see those Netflix promotional ads everyone haha.. Wouldnt it be smart of HBO to release a teaser trailer for GoT now that the voting is taking place to heat everyone up again? Seems like they’re not even trying in the promotion department, compared to their competition

I’ve been seeing nothing but HBO ads for the past day or two… except Westworld. Weirdly, I’ve been seeing ads for Game of Thrones, Barry, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, I’ve seen even Curb Your Enthusiasm pop up a bunch. Still, nothing for the show with 21 Emmy nominations is truly bizarre. :\

Maybe they want to focus on GoT in drama. Westworld can be a major hurdle for it to winning things.

Then in that case to avoid “HBO vote-splitting” simply place a ton of ads for Evan Rachel Wood and last year’s nominee Jeffrey Wright over last year’s snubbed and with far less Season 2 screen time Ed Harris. Campaign hard for Wood, Wright, Main Title Design, Music Supervision, and Cinematography, to avoid costing Game of Thrones votes since it won’t be competing in those categories. However, just because a voter doesn’t see Thrones in a category doesn’t instantly mean they would vote Westworld, and vice versa. Funny how I don’t recall seeing Westworld on ANY of Indiewire’s (most likely fake) “anonymous Emmy ballots” with the exception of Thandie Newton on just one of them, from a member of the actors branch if I remember correctly. Nothing for Wright, Harris, Wood, or Series, nothing else except that sole Newton mention for a 21-time Emmy nominated show this year, while the 4-time nominated The Americans has gotten so much more love for Rhys, Russell, sometimes both leads, and especially for Series. Crazy.

These two being the most tech heavy shows certainly make them the biggest threats to each other.  Out of the 5 awards Westworld won last year, 3 were won by GoT for the past two years. The technical prowess of these two shows is unrivaled, so I can see most people going for only these two at The Creative Arts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Damn I see those Netflix promotional ads everyone haha..

Wouldnt it be smart of HBO to release a teaser trailer for GoT now that the voting is taking place to heat everyone up again? Seems like they’re not even trying in the promotion department, compared to their competition

This is strange. The only ads from HBO that I didn’t see yet is Game of Thrones. Almost everyday I see ads from Westworld and the clip is very good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel the writing was lacking for Russell character in the first three seasons. Elisabeth was mostly presented as a foil to Rhys’s more sympathetic and “complex” character. We rarely got to see Elisabeth deal with any internal conflict, which we got plenty of in the last several seasons. And Russell’s best moments early on was when she was dealing with motherhood, which we also got plenty of in the last seasons.

This is absolutely not true, is not even a matter of opinion. She is one of the best characters on TV since season one. She had a numerous internal conflicts, the best episode of the first three seasons – “Do Mail Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?” is dedicated to her and to her internal conflicts. SPOILERS In the first season she deals with her marriage problems and with her love towards another man. In the second she is deeply affected by the murder of her spy family friends. In season 3 she deals with Page and the discovery that she makes about their real profession among other things. Elizabeth has plenty of action scenes, we often see her play other characters since episode one. We see her having a different conflicts during the ENTIRE show.

Well, that is my opinion. And it’s something that I noted frequently throughout the first seasons and had no problem being at odds with The Americans’ fan base over it during those years. I thought the writing for that character and sometimes Russell’s performance was lacking. That doesn’t mean I didn’t think she had nice moments or even was perhaps nomination worthy for a couple seasons, just that I thought the character could be better and wasn’t worthy of a win. However, I was rooting for a Rusell victory a couple years ago and am rooting for her this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Then in that case to avoid “HBO vote-splitting” simply place a ton of ads for Evan Rachel Wood and last year’s nominee Jeffrey Wright over last year’s snubbed and with far less Season 2 screen time Ed Harris. Campaign hard for Wood, Wright, Main Title Design, Music Supervision, and Cinematography, to avoid costing Game of Thrones votes since it won’t be competing in those categories. However, just because a voter doesn’t see Thrones in a category doesn’t instantly mean they would vote Westworld, and vice versa. Funny how I don’t recall seeing Westworld on ANY of Indiewire’s (most likely fake) “anonymous Emmy ballots” with the exception of Thandie Newton on just one of them, from a member of the actors branch if I remember correctly. Nothing for Wright, Harris, Wood, or Series, nothing else except that sole Newton mention for a 21-time Emmy nominated show this year, while the 4-time nominated The Americans has gotten so much more love for Rhys, Russell, sometimes both leads, and especially for Series. Crazy.

These two being the most tech heavy shows certainly make them the biggest threats to each other. Out of the 5 awards Westworld won last year, 3 were won by GoT for the past two years. The technical prowess of these two shows is unrivaled, so I can see most people going for only these two at The Creative Arts.

Game of Thrones will win Directing and Series at the very least in the main ceremony. 2-time winner Dinklage I still think will win but I could see him losing to Patinkin who is overdue for Homeland.

You sound like it’s already set in stone haha. I have THT winning series and Podeswa directing, but I might just put Skogland in no.1 because Alan Taylor is waaaaay too well-known not to split votes with Podeswa.

Emmy voters must bend the knee to Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke for "Game of Thrones." It's their last chance to award them. Make it happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

We’ll see. I am staying with Handmaid’s till at least the Creative Arts. If GOT takes everything and THT takes zero, then I will switch (but with caution!). And directing…in the past, there has been one clear standout always. Botb over The Door, Mother’s Mercy over U.,U.,U. We don’t have that this year. Beyond the Wall was divisive but some people adored it. Plus, voters don’t care about that. When they see Alan Taylor + Game of Thrones, they might check him off. He could even win. Podeswa is well-known as well but I am not sure if they know that he hasn’t won yet. That’s why I might switch to Skogland. I don’t like to be this person – but she is a woman after all, who directs a female driven show. That just screams relevancy to me.

I am much more unsure about writing. START or June, I can’t decide. And then there’s GOT. I don’t really buy the Americans doing a Firday Night Lights, not yet. I am so torn.

Emmy voters must bend the knee to Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke for "Game of Thrones." It's their last chance to award them. Make it happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 620 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.