Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Movie and Limited Series Predictions and Analysis

Emmy Awards 2018 Movie and Limited Series Predictions and Analysis

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
Created
6 days ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
VeraDoyle
Pulp
HarryBeck
  • Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

actors from movies never win anymore

This is legitimately laughable coming a year after Nicole Kidman won the exact category you’re talking about

The only laughable thing is your lack of understanding, I meant actors from nominated Emmy movies like Paterno and The Wizard of Lies.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

actors from movies never win anymore

This is legitimately laughable coming a year after Nicole Kidman won the exact category you’re talking about

The only laughable thing is your lack of understanding, I meant actors from nominated Emmy movies like Paterno and The Wizard of Lies.

Not what you said though is it

FYC Gold Derby TV Awards Performer of the Year: Michelle Dockery

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

It is obvious the user meant TV Movies and your example is laughable cause Kidman won for what is now a Drama SERIES, not a movie by any means.

Thank you for the clarification.

I think that Dern is completely out, it is between Biel and Dockery.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

These nominations almost make me want to go watch Godless to make an informed opinion. I wasn’t very high on Versace so if Godless is actually high quality, I would be fine with that win. I think Black Mirror takes TV Movie again. Those other movies didn’t make any major impact, and USS Callister got the Plemmons nom and I’m sure Black Mirror is more popular than any of those nominated films.

Darren Criss was very good on Versace (even though I gave up halfway through the season), but Cumberbatch is somehow always a threat. Does Plemmons have maybe even an outside chance? I guess Laura Dern is likely still the frontrunner, I just don’t think people are necessarily clamoring to vote for Jessica Biel or feel that she is overdue. But the show was kind of popular, even though it did not get a Limited Series nomination. Regina King is an Emmy favorite at this point, but this feels like a blatant name check. So probably still Dern.

I just cannot see any of the Versace guys winning in Supporting Actor. If the voters watched the show, Ramirez and Martin did not do much, and admittedly, I really liked Wittrock’s big episode but it’s basically a guest performance. But even based on popularity, he would finish last of those three Versace guys. This feels like a good place to award double nominee Jeff Daniels and his show, although I also think Brandon Victor Dixon could shock because his special overperformed and his performance was much buzzed about. Cruz should not win Supporting Actress, and Light was good but it’s the same deal as Wittrock. Porter is a non-factor. Bareilles is a slight possibility but she is least likely out of the three Jesus Christ Superstar acting nominees probably. Wright’s episode wasn’t that well received. So somehow by default I’m at Wever, a previous Emmy winner on a strong miniseries. Sure. I may go with that for now.

I don’t think the love for David Lynch can overpower how Twin Peaks didn’t make an impact anywhere. Ryan Murphy would be a fine win, but pretty boring. The only other nominee that I think stands a chance is Scott Frank, but something tells me it may be Murphy by default. USS Callister seems like a good bet for Writing, although I would love to see American Vandal take it, but it’s unlikely.

ReplyCopy URL
    johnnygc
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t commented here for a looong time.
    People can be really childish around here.
    I for once think the Lead Actress Mini/Movie is shaping up to be very interesting this year, and I wouldn’t underestimated anyone in this race.
    This reminds me of the year in which Laura Linney (The Big C) defeated GG Winner Elisabeth Moss (Top of the Lake), SAG winner Helen Mirren (Phil Spektor), critics favorite Jessica Lange (AHS: Asylum) and Sigourney Weaver (Political Animals).
    I think we can assume two things: there are performances that are nominated because they love the show and they want to reward the show, showering them with nominations all across the board. There are performances they really care about, thus nominating them even while snubbing the show all over the place.
    I think they are passionate for Biel and Dern and they loved Godless, thus Dockery. And everyone has a real chance at winning this. If I had to compare Linney to anyone in this race it wouldn’t even be to Biel or Dern. King and Falco clearly can shake things up here like Linney did if the vote splits every other way. They are both multiple Emmy winners.

For this matter, my prediction right now is Dern, but I feel like I will eventually switch to Dockery.

And by the way, the argument of Ellen “14 seconds nominated” Burstyn being snubbed is being thrown around a lot here. Did you ever stop to think that after that 14 seconds scandal, voters are now paying atention when voting for Burstyn to avoid another embarrassment? I believe they are really trying to be careful and not atually nominate Burstyn for everything she does now. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but Burstyn has been snubbed before recently right? I remember people predicting her for obvious nominations in recent years and she failed to grab them.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it looks like a Biel vs Dern battle here. With Dern likely winning this.

I will continue the Mixed Feelings Tour if somehow Edgar Ramirez wins for this. I don’t remember a single scene where he was so good that he deserves a win here. I haven’t seen any of the other nominees, but “knowing” that they were better than Ramirez is the easiest thing to “know” since Ramirez was so underwhelming and had very little unremarkable screentime. Of course being Venezuelan too and not having seen the other nominees, I kind of don’t give a fuck and I want the guy to win. But you know….him?

The exact same thing applies to Penelope Cruz. She has the advantage of a huge name but in this case I did see a second nominee, Judith Light and she was sooo much better. I remember a time when somebody like Julia Roberts lost for a mega nominated project, so it gives me hope that the great Judith Light, sort of a tv/stage legent herself and a recent 2-time loser, can actually prevail over a ridiculous Penelope Cruz win.

I don’t see any passion behind any project here, I think there are just many token writing/directing nods and the usual and expected craft nominations. So I do think that Darren Criss has a chance and then it’s just Cumberbatch based on name and Daniels based on nomination count for the show and a second nomination for him. There are ridiculous and undeserved nods for Versace so it seems like they liked that one more, I wanna think that it pushes Criss over the edge. And it was a fucking good performance too.

Versace and USS Callister can win the program categories quite easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awards Fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it looks like a Biel vs Dern battle here. With Dern likely winning this. I will continue the Mixed Feelings Tour if somehow Edgar Ramirez wins for this. I don’t remember a single scene where he was so good that he deserves a win here. I haven’t seen any of the other nominees, but “knowing” that they were better than Ramirez is the easiest thing to “know” since Ramirez was so underwhelming and had very little unremarkable screentime. Of course being Venezuelan too and not having seen the other nominees, I kind of don’t give a fuck and I want the guy to win. But you know….him? The exact same thing applies to Penelope Cruz. She has the advantage of a huge name but in this case I did see a second nominee, Judith Light and she was sooo much better. I remember a time when somebody like Julia Roberts lost for a mega nominated project, so it gives me hope that the great Judith Light, sort of a tv/stage legent herself and a recent 2-time loser, can actually prevail over a ridiculous Penelope Cruz win. I don’t see any passion behind any project here, I think there are just many token writing/directing nods and the usual and expected craft nominations. So I do think that Darren Criss has a chance and then it’s just Cumberbatch based on name and Daniels based on nomination count for the show and a second nomination for him. There are ridiculous and undeserved nods for Versace so it seems like they liked that one more, I wanna think that it pushes Criss over the edge. And it was a fucking good performance too. Versace and USS Callister can win the program categories quite easily.

I actually cannot imagine Cruz winning. The fact that Light is nominated for being in 2/9 episodes is something to look out for. When she appeared on screen in “A Random Killing”, that’s all anyone was talking about. Right now, I have her winning because without Lansbury, she is the veteran in the category.

As for lead, Dern has the edge because The Tale still got TV Movie, whereas The Sinner got nothing else. Look out for Dockery and Paulson though. Godless did very well and AHS kind of overperformed.

Luca G.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Basically, voters have to choose between Jesus Christ and Andrew Cunanan. Huh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I suspect Wever actually prevails in Supporting Actress.

THE OSCAR 100 (#40-36): Ellen Burstyn, Katharine Hepburn, Julianne Moore, Ian McKellen and Roy Scheider

ReplyCopy URL

I declared Laura Dern a lock and the biggest lock of the Emmys early this year and I must now eat my words.  It is not a knock against Biel that her program was not nominated and Dern’s was, because The Tale would not have been nominated either in a combined limited/movie field.  Movie was a much easier category than limited series.

There is also an argument to be made that The Sinner was never a contender for  a series nomination anyway.  The Critics snubbed the series despite nominating Biel and Pullman.  The Sinner did not receive a single guild nomination.  And even though it got better reviews than The Alienist and Genius, those both have much more prestige and aired more recently.  Bill Pullman was not nominated, but neither were Jason Ritter or Ellen Burstyn.

I think that this race comes down to visibility.  If visibility is equal or not a factor, Dern wins this in a walk.  But there seems to have been heavy resistance to watching The Tale.  It is not like HBO does not have a long history of premiering prestige films at the end of May.  The Tale and Nightingale (also nominated only for movie and lead) are the least-nominated HBO May movies since Cheaters was only nominated for writing in 2000.  And The Tale has basically the best reviews of any HBO May movie in that time.  Consider even Fahrenheit 451, which came out a week earlier, got much better ratings and scored five nominations despite having basically the worst reviews of any HBO May movie.

The Sinner was the best-rated new cable series of 2017.  But as it did not over-perform in nominations, it is hard to tell if Emmy voters really saw it.  She does have potential as a Louie Anderson or Tatiana Maslany type.  Something that the Emmy voters definitely saw is Godless, but it is hard to know how much passion there is there.  It is not like the person in the most-nominated program always wins, although they do sometimes go along for the ride. Michelle Dockery is kind of in the default position, because she definitely has visibility. The question is just if Laura Dern and/or Jessica Biel have enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

The Globes snubbed the series despite nominating Biel.

I could be wrong but I thought both the show and Biel were nominated at the globes?

FYC Gold Derby TV Awards Performer of the Year: Michelle Dockery

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Dern isn’t a lock but I won’t believe Biel is winning until I see it. I think Dockery only has a chance if Godless is winning limited series which seems unlikely.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed. Dern is out front as a soft frontrunner due to lack of competition. If anyone beats her I think Dockery (British voting block, Godless support, Downton leftover love) and King (VERY popular in the medium with lots of friends) have a better shot than Biel.

Biel does not have snob appeal in this field and her show has soft support.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 13 hours ago by  montana82.
    ReplyCopy URL

It would be fairly random for King to beat Dern after Dern beat King last year for a series and category for which King had won the two years before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be fairly random for King to beat Dern after Dern beat King last year for a series and category for which King had won the two years before.

Not really random at all. Dern won because of the BLL sweep, but they’re on a slightly more even playing field this time.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.