Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 501 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Eden
  • Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

bumped

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Guest2014. Reason: thought continuity
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Can someone explain to me why a smart, well-crafted show like The Good Place is not really on the nomination radar? I just finished it, and I could easily see it taking Kimmy Schmidt’s nom in lead actress and getting into Lead Actor with some production design nods… I’m just surprised to see it not being considered…. It’s one of the best shows on Network TV rn

Sometimes shows are just ahead of their time and aren’t accepted as such by the Emmys and Globes, serial starforkers and repeatists when it comes to year in year out laziness with their nominations. Look at 100% on RT for season 2, 87 on Metacritic. And the only broadcast network show to crack the top 5 of Metacritic’s top 10 TV shows of 2017, while BT was 5th and Maisel stumbled in at 22nd. A solid 3-4 million viewers per week, and next season, thank the gods, no NFL Thursday Night junk to interrupt it for 2 months. Envy? Who the f knows.

There are cracks in the dam of disrespect; last year, a People’s Choice award for Bell as Favorite Actress in a New Series and a Saturn nom for fantasy series. The TCA breakthrough last June, the Critics Choices a couple months ago. Yeah, they got snookered by the Brosnahan Aura, but at least Ted won, the show’s only other victory. Gotta walk before you run. But the snubbing on Gold Derby remains. See the predictions of the editors, the top 24 users…I mean, Jesus forking Christ, there’s actual support for the revival of ROSEANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Party like it’s 1997, indeed.

Think of TGP as the UConn women’s hoops of comedies, *without* the respect of the establishment that most of us commoners know are the standardbearers of TV award giving – Emmys, Globes, SAGs. And all 3 need to put aside their rubberstamping and give this show a shot. If Modern Family can win 5 Comedy Series Emmys and JLD 5 actress awards, then surely they can get a few measly nominations. Or what should be more than a dozen.

Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

And another thing, Zeitergeist 3; what comedy series has movie quality VFX they pull out from time to time? Maybe just how good the show is threatens the establishment. If it were on one of those blasted internet streaming services, they’d have had a dozen noms last year. It has contenders in comedy, actor, actress and TWO each in the supporting AND guest categories. At least 2 contenders in writing and directing. And whatever BTL categories I missed.

leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

Haddish is supporting in The Last OG according to reviews. So should be an easy nomination in a rather dire category. I don’t think Morgan or the show are getting in, but Chrissy Metz has been getting some good notices for a juicy guest role.

Jack J.
    Participant
    Topics:

I would hardly call The Good Place’s VFX movie quality.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

The only real shot for The Good Place is Danson and maybe Series. Bell isn’t happening. If competition is weak and they campaign it smart, it might even get into writing. But nothing else.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

There are three near-locks for comedy lead actress to me.  Rachel Brosnahan is an easy winner.  The PGA win compensates for the SAG snub and I think that we forget that she is a past nominee too.  Alison Brie seemed like someone who would be overshadowed by the supporting cast, but then she made a clean nomination sweep of the precursors (SAG, Globe, Critics, Satellite).  Grace and Frankie keeps getting more popular, scoring random Emmy nominations for costumes and production design and random guild nominations for writing and makeup.  They occupied two out of five slots at SAG, so they should be able to get one out of six slots at the Emmys and Lily Tomlin is clearly the first choice.

It is pretty open after that.  I was predicting Issa Rae because her show has grown in critical support, she is a hyphenate and has HBO behind her, but the category is just too crowded and this is exactly the kind of prediction that hurts my prediction score every year (Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Ilana Glazer).  Also, despite the top-ten citations and the TCA nomination, Rae was still snubbed at Critics’ Choice, which means that she is more of a The Leftovers elite critics’ choice, as opposed to a The Handmaid’s Tale that will score with a more populist group.  Also, I am not predicting Pamela Adlon and her nomination last year indicates that the is the Emmys’ first pick for a critically-backed hyphenate.

Viola Davis is what has me keeping Allison Janney.  They dropped her from SAG as they were awarding her, then her show randomly grew in Emmy nominations from the year before.  That sweep by Janney was something too and there was always warmth for her in the room when she was winning. The surprise ratings uptick should be noted too.

I have a hard time with the logic of black-ish getting consecutive SAG ensemble nominations, but no supporting nominations.  The least that it should be able to get is Tracee Ellis Ross because Anthony Anderson is obviously not the ensemble himself, so I have her fifth.  black-ish fell out of PGA, so it is on the way out and Ross was snubbed by the Globes after winning, so it seems that she is on the way out too.

Jane Fonda is my sixth because of how strong her show is and because I do not want to downplay that SAG nominated her over so many others.  Fonda is actually one of only three eligible in this category who got a SAG nomination.  Seventh is Pamela Adlon.  The above six just seem stronger and I think that she will be hurt by her ties to Louis C.K.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re nominating Tomlin and Fonda because their last names are Tomlin and Fonda. Like DDL’s Oscar nomination for The Phantom Thread. Name. Recognition. Only.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Initially, sure, they nominated Lily Tomlin only because she was Lily Tomlin, but the industry has since found a show that they like in Grace and Frankie.  The same goes for Phantom Thread.  Daniel Day-Lewis got voters to watch the film in the first place, but it was not his name recognition alone that got it three other major Oscar nominations, plus a win.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Like DDL’s Oscar nomination for The Phantom Thread. Name. Recognition. Only.

Or because he was in one of the most acclaimed films of the year.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  jf123.

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re nominating Tomlin and Fonda because their last names are Tomlin and Fonda. Like DDL’s Oscar nomination for The Phantom Thread. Name. Recognition. Only.

You reached far and wide for this one. DDL got oscar nominated because he actually delivered a worthy performance. You should really go back to telling us how great Continuum and The Good Place are – at least you made a little sense and provided some comic relief.

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you watch Grace and Frankie? Both Tomlin and Fonda give performances that are deserving of Emmy awards.

If you want to talk name recognition/popularity, then you should talk about some of the nominations in the past for Games of Thrones.

Sam H
    Participant
    Topics:

“If you want to talk name recognition/popularity, then you should talk about some of the nominations in the past for Games of Thrones”

Oh dear god. Do not get me started. The fact that GoT is honest to god still getting WRITING nods is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. And while I think Peter Dinklage is a powerhouse and genuinely one of the best actors on the show, he simply did not have any worthy material for his last nom but got the nod because he is Dinklage and it’s GoT. And I reckon no one wants to hear my rant about Emilia Clark.

But if we are talking about an overdue for this show, it’s a Lena Headey win.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

And I reckon no one wants to hear my rant about Emilia Clark.

It’s Clarke.

AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

If tapes mattered, Fonda has one (“The Expiration Date”) that’d win it for her.

COMING SOON to The Awards Connection: The 100 Greatest Oscar-Nominated Performances

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.