Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 501 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Eden
  • eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

American Vandal could be a player in writing given the competition. It’s just the quirky thing that is usually recognized by that branch. I think it would’ve had a good chance in comedy writing too even with the stronger competition there.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Per the current Emmy rules, it would have been fraudulent for American Vandal not to go limited.  It is rare that shows game the system that way instead of the other, but it does happen, such as with Horace and Pete.

The WGA New Series nomination for American Vandal is significant because every WGA New Series nominee has gone on to an Emmy nomination in some category (some year).  And unlike the episodic categories that nominated Good Behavior this year or the long-form categories that awarded Flint, the New Series category is voted on by the whole WGA membership instead of a small panel.  So we know that American Vandal has visibility and enthusiasm among writers.

However, the writers’ branch of the Emmys has let me down in recent years.  I like Silicon Valley and Game of Thrones, but come on.  Even their inspired choice of UnREAL came at the expense of The Leftovers, Horace and Pete and Rectify.  Their limited nominees have also become lazier, but with American Crime Story limited to two submissions this year (and I could totally see them submit just one, given that Tom Rob Smith was credited on all episodes) and Fargo ineligible, the category is ripe for a return to the likes of Hello Ladies, Treme and The Hour after missing Show Me a Hero.  It is going to be tight though.

Would love for it to be nominated for directing, casting and editing, but the show is too niche to transcend the writers’ branch.  I will be slotting it in for series though if Patrick Melrose or Picasso bombs.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Alexis Bledel? I never got how she won an Emmy for that role, let alone got nominated.

Anonymous
    Topics:

Why are people predicting Alexis Bledel? I never got how she won an Emmy for that role, let alone got nominated.

Hers was the second most acclaimed performance on the show. You might not like it but it’s a minority opinion.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Hers was the second most acclaimed performance on the show. You might not like it but it’s a minority opinion.

It was, but just the ending scene of the episode she got the operation or the scene in the truck don’t seem enough to me to crown her Best Guest Actress of 2016-2017 season.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Can we talk about who’s going to win LSeries or/and TV Movie? I think, as of limited, ACS & TotL have mixed reviews, so it’ll go to Twin Peaks, or The Looming Tower, which I have a weird feeling about doing good. As of TV Movie, I think BM will repeat, if not then Paterno.

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

The Looming Tower is halfway through its run, and yet no one’s really talking about it. It’s competently made, but nothing special. However, it does have an Homeland-esque important subject matter and prestige value, so it could still be the kind of thing to appeal to Emmy voters, even if people aren’t predicting it yet.

Versace is high-profile enough to be the kind of thing lazy voters could just pick if they didn’t watch anything and don’t know what box to check on their ballot for the Limited category. Still, it’s not the same cultural phenomenon the OJ season was.

Godless and Top of the Lake came and went. Top of the Lake couldn’t even win for its raved first season, so why would it win for a season that had mixed reactions?

It would be cool if the cult passion for Twin Peaks pushed it to a win. Critics have championed it, but pundit support will be minimal, which is unfortunate because both areas of media support would help position it as a viable contender. If it were to win, it would have to be as a shock/surprise win, because it’s never going to have the widespread support to enter Emmy night as a frontrunner; i mean, virtually no pundit is going to have it as their #1 prediction, or even #2 or #3. It will remain a dark-horse all season long. PGA/WGA/DGA support would have helped, but alas.

So I’m not sure. I think Looming Tower/Versace with Twin Peaks as the dark horse passion pick.

As for TV Movie, none of the Black Mirror episodes had the same impact as San Junipero, and Paterno looks like a mediocre Wizard of Lies type of thing. This could be an easy win for The Tale, assuming it gets a release date before the end of May. And honestly, Black Mirror does not deserve to keep fraudulently winning as a TV Movie, no matter how beloved it is by fans and critics.

Davidpres
    Participant
    Topics:

The Sinner has been renewed for a second season. Does that mean it can’t qualify as a limited series?

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

That is technically correct, but Chris reports that USA is submitting it as such anyway.

The Looming Tower has prestige value and has not been poorly received, but nobody is talking about it and that show sure is dry.  I have seen three episodes and intend to finish, but I would not bother if I were an Emmy voter.  The Young Pope and Guerrilla last year had prestige and decent reviews, but nobody cared.  The Looming Tower is admittedly more important, but it also comes from a “network” that is 0-for-1 in the limited series race.  So I am not predicting The Looming Tower for a nomination at this time.

Godless got DGA, WGA and SAG nominations, so it should be safe in theory, but the guilds are generally kinder to summer and fall shows.  A PGA nomination would have indicated broad appeal and it is also concerning that only MPSE recognized it below the line, despite it being a period piece.  If it were really a player, it should have gotten design nominations for costumes, makeup, hair and production design.  I have it second, but it could still go the way of Show Me a Hero, which got DGA, WGA and GMS nominations, then was shut out at the Emmys.  No SAG nomination, but its profile should have been boosted by its Golden Globe win.  Godless was not nominated by the Globes at all.

The critical acclaim for Twin Peaks might not amount to anything, if The Leftovers was any indication.  Although more people watched The Leftovers, The Return seems to have penetrated more demographics or something to that effect, given the legacy of the original.  It was nominated by four guilds below the line.

Basically, I think that American Crime Story takes it by default.  I am predicting Patrick Melrose and Genius, but both could be snubbed.  Fahrenheit 451 looks good.

Anonymous
    Topics:

I want American Vandal to sneak in the fifth slot and win out of passion. It won’t happen but just imagine how amazing that’d be. I’d want them to say in the speech: “Who drew the dicks?”

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Just heard that Jeff Daniels will be lead for Looming Tower and supporting for Godless. Very smart to not split his own vote in one category.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Great, I have been keeping a slot open for him.  Jack O’Connell got more notices than any of the supporting actors from Godless, so this is the best move strategically to maximize the show’s nominations. Jeff Daniels was not first-billed anyway.  Lead actor is also a lot more crowded than supporting; I would say that a Daniels nomination in lead is/was in question, vote-splitting or not.

eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

What most seem to be discounting with The Looming Tower is that it’s coming from an entity that just won an historic series Emmy last year. That alone changes things for Hulu going forward. I’m pretty sure this and The Handmaid’s Tale will be priorities for them.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Just heard that Jeff Daniels will be lead for Looming Tower and supporting for Godless. Very smart to not split his own vote in one category.

The race is heating up, it’s getting more exciting. Smart decision and now I don’t have to worry since I didn’t have him for Godless in my Lead Actor predictions.

What most seem to be discounting with The Looming Tower is that it’s coming from an entity that just won an historic series Emmy last year. That alone changes things for Hulu going forward. I’m pretty sure this and The Handmaid’s Tale will be priorities for them.

Absolutely. The thing is, like others said before, no one is talking about the show and they’ve aired five out of eight episodes. But then again, the competition is weak and Hulu will probably push it. I just have trouble predicting three supporting actors from the same show in a single category. Stuhlbarg, Camp and Sarsgaard are in top 6 in the predictions. That’s  why I have only the first two, since Sarsgaard is less known.

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Jeff Daniels will probably get double nominations now. And it’s not really fraud because his performance in Godless isn’t really lead when you consider it’s really all about Jack O’Connell and Daniels has nowhere near as much screen time.

The question is, can he win either category? Maybe supporting, not sure about lead for Looming Tower, since that’s his usual yelly Newsroom-esque political career-man shtick. Emmy voters might like it, but it’s sort of a been there done that situation.

As for Sarsgaard, he may not be as respected as Stuhlbarg, but Stuhlbarg’s role is pretty small so far, and he hasn’t done anything noteworthy, so I think Sarsgaard has the edge. Camp is the best of the supporting guys and he did get nominated last year for the Night Of.

Also, they better not pull any fraud with Tahar Rahim. He is co-lead with Daniels and belongs in lead.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Gabriel.
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.