Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 501 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Eden
  • forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Godless

• Oustanding Limited Series (tentative)
    • Oustanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie (Jeff Daniels)
    • Oustanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie (Michelle Dockery)
    • Oustanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie (Scoot McNairy and/or Sam Waterston) (tentative)
    • Oustanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie (Merritt Wever)
    • Oustanding Directing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Writing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Casting for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Cinematography for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Hairstyling for a Limited Series or Movie (tentative)
    • Oustanding Sound Editing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Sound Mixing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Period Costumes (tentative)

It deserves all of these but doubt it gets most of them given how it did with the guilds. I’d also say that if anything Series seems more locked in for it than most of these other categories given the minimal competition, including the acting ones as any of the cast could miss.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Godless

• Oustanding Limited Series (tentative)
    • Oustanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie (Jeff Daniels)
    • Oustanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie (Michelle Dockery)
    • Oustanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie (Scoot McNairy and/or Sam Waterston) (tentative)
    • Oustanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie (Merritt Wever)
    • Oustanding Directing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Writing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Casting for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Cinematography for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Hairstyling for a Limited Series or Movie (tentative)
    • Oustanding Sound Editing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Sound Mixing for a Limited Series or Movie
    • Oustanding Period Costumes (tentative)

It deserves all of these but doubt it gets most of them given how it did with the guilds. I’d also say that if anything Series seems more locked in for it than most of these other categories given the minimal competition, including the acting ones as any of the cast could miss.

Well, tbh, I only think it’s going to get nommed for Lead Actor, Actress, SupActress and probably Directing cause of DGA, but the competition there was low, resulting in its no, and maybe a few tech cat’s.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s this thing that gets on my nerves because of nothing. Laura Dern is first in the predictions for supporting actress for Twin Peaks, a show that possibly won’t get too much attention at the Emmys, while she’s barely sixth for lead actress for The Tale, a movie that was supposed to take the road to the Oscars. I really don’t see her getting nominated twice. Has it happened before for someone to be nominated in lead and supporting, but for the same type of program, not one in drama, one in limited etc?

Gaceru
    Participant
    Topics:

According to Production Weekly the season 2 of The Sinner is in production. If it isn’t an anthology the show will have to compete as a drama and Jessica Biel can say goodbye to her Emmy.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Has it happened before for someone to be nominated in lead and supporting, but for the same type of program, not one in drama, one in limited etc?

If you mean what I think, Sarah Paulson is an example the year she won the Emmy for ACS, having also been nominated for supp actress for AHS: Hotel.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Has it happened before for someone to be nominated in lead and supporting, but for the same type of program, not one in drama, one in limited etc?

Martin Freeman was also nominated in lead for Fargo and supporting for Sherlock in 2014. Just like Paulson he ended up winning one: supporting.

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s this thing that gets on my nerves because of nothing. Laura Dern is first in the predictions for supporting actress for Twin Peaks, a show that possibly won’t get too much attention at the Emmys, while she’s barely sixth for lead actress for The Tale, a movie that was supposed to take the road to the Oscars. I really don’t see her getting nominated twice. Has it happened before for someone to be nominated in lead and supporting, but for the same type of program, not one in drama, one in limited etc?

Yes, of course it can happen, and it will likely happen again. Both Limited Actress/Limited Supporting Actress categories are wide open for her to get into.

The only reason she is low in Lead Actress predictions for The Tale is because no one has heard of it yet. Once the trailer, release date are announced she’ll move up to #1 and will likely win.

As for Twin Peaks, she will very likely get nominated for that based on the weakness of the category and her rave reviews. Her character was one of the most talked about parts of the show, so even if the series doesn’t do too well with the Emmys, she will still get in. I personally think she deserves to win more than any other contender seen so far. However, she’s up against two overdue veterans who have never won an Emmy before: Angela Lansbury and Judith Light, so they will likely have more momentum.

My prediction is that in the end she will probably deserve to win both but will only get the Lead one and lose the Supporting one.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

SpoilerTV reports that The Sinner is returning with Bull Pullman’s detective character taking on a new case.  This time, instead of the sinner being Jessica Biel killing a guy for no reason, it is an eleven-year-old boy killing two people for no reason.

Obviously, this makes it not a limited series, but can it still be a limited series for the Emmys?  We have seen this done a couple of times.

The closest template is Secrets and Lies from a couple of years ago on ABC.  It adapted a closed-ended story, with Ryan Phillippe receiving top billing as the suspect.  But it was such a success that ABC quickly announced that they would be bringing it back with Juliette Lewis’s detective character taking on a new case.  Even though it missed an Emmy cycle, the first season was still forced to go drama.

Around the same time, The Missing told a closed-ended story, with James Nesbitt receiving top billing as the father of the missing.  But it was such a success that it was quickly announced that it would be returning with Tchéky Karyo’s detective character taking on a new case.  It missed an Emmy cycle, but both seasons miraculously were allowed to go limited.  However, The Missing had something major that neither The Sinner nor Secrets and Lies had: It was British.  It is nonsensical that this should be a factor, but it is.  Remember when the second season of The Hour won miniseries writing, even though it maintained its entire cast and made no assertions about being an anthology?

So my guess is that The Sinner is forced into drama and Jessica Biel can kiss her nomination goodbye. I will also remove my limited series prediction of it at this time.  People seem just a bit more riled up about this kind of thing after Big Little Lies.  There is one thing that can still save Biel.  If USA announces a subtitle, then she is back in limited, per Top of the Lake, Twin Peaks and 24, with the first two admittedly pending.  Note how The X-Files was forced into drama because it did not have one.  Sasha, start praying for an official announcement of “The Sinner: Little Boy“, which is only slightly more ridiculous than “China Girl“.

And just for the record, this whole thing is ridiculous. A new case does not make something an anthology. Was Dexter an anthology because he faced a new serial killer every season? Or Homeland and 24 because they take down a different terrorist threat every season?

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, it’s absolutely ridiculous. And the “subtitle excuse” is laughable (The Big C: Hereafter was another egregious one).

I’m of the opinion that even American Horror Story and Fargo belong in Drama. Both of those shows have characters that have appeared in multiple seasons. And even if they didn’t, they still go on and on for seasons and seasons. That’s not a limited series, sorry.

The only shows that truly belong in Limited are one-off miniseries like Olive Kitteridge.

Anonymous
    Topics:

I’ve said this in the past, but I just want the comedy and drama categories to absorb limited and movie.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Hereafter actually cheated a different way, by airing as four double episodes, thus not having the at-the-time requisite six episodes to qualify as a series.  However, even if they had aired them as eight, would they have been able to sneak into miniseries because of the subtitle?  Possibly.

It is a common misconception that Downton Abbey was initially in miniseries just because it was British, but it was actually because PBS aired the seven episodes in four blocks, thus the Emmys counted them as four episodes and not enough to qualify for series.  Having said that, even if PBS had aired them in seven blocks, would the Emmys have accepted it as a miniseries just because it was British?  Possibly.

Along similar lines as the Laura Dern thing above, I did remove Judith Light from my comedy predictions when I added her in limited.  I found it hard to believe that she would be double-nominated for a year in which she could get zero nominations and nobody would bat an eye (because Transparent is a sinking ship and she is barely even eligible for American Crime Story).

Calling it now: Angela Lansbury is not a thing at the Emmys this year.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

SpoilerTV reports that The Sinner is returning with Bull Pullman’s detective character taking on a new case.

So that makes three out of five nominees in Golden Globe’s miniseries category. Networks should seriously stop announcing renewals after awards, this can’t be allowed as a strategy.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Hereafter actually cheated a different way, by airing as four double episodes, thus not having the at-the-time requisite six episodes to qualify as a series.

Is it no longer a requisite?

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

They changed the rules two years ago.  Once a show is established as a drama/comedy now, all future seasons remain drama/comedy as long as they have at least three episodes.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t believe I’m predicting Justin Hartley.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.