Home Forums Television Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 501 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Eden
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

I went throught the prediction center and just noticed a few things and had a few questions.

The Last OG seems to be the only new comedy series left that could make an impact at the Emmys. Let’s see how reviews are. Haddish is lead in the prediction center but is third billing and didn’t have a major role in the trailer. The show is TBS, but I think the Peele/Jordan/Haddish pedigree is enough to overcome the image of TBS if it is quality. Cedric the Entertainer is not in the prediction center.

Has Portia De Rossi always submitted lead for Arrested Development?

Is Good Girls confirmed for drama? Is Hendricks the only one submitting lead? Retta as well, but Whitman is for sure an equal lead.

Will HBO even submit Cheryl Hines this year, with her very decreased role? I could see them only submitting Essman.

I’m curious if Tambor will be submitted at all.

Is Jason Mitchell submitting lead for The Chi? It is an ensemble show with no true lead. He’d have a relative shot in supporting VS. no chance in lead.

Like the Last OG in comedy, Rise seems to be the only new drama that could make any possible impact. Are any of the teen actors submitting?
    Trust is now in drama in the prediction center.

The Alienest is now in limited.

Curious to see if the news of The Sinner’s second season will push it to drama.

Elisabeth Moss had a short HBO film called The Tokyo Project. She was one of two leads. The film is not in the prediction center, but I’d say it has a chance at that fifth slot. Also, I have a sneaking feeling Moss will fraud into supporting to attempt triple nominations.

Seven Seconds is still in drama. Regina King is in lead. Is it confirmed she will submit there? She is not lead. She was also listed in lead last year for American Crime, but eventually submitted supporting.

American Vandal is still in limited.

I really doubt Clarke and Harrington are submitting lead.

Joseph Fiennes was in the prediction center for lead last year, even though he submitted supporting. He is in the prediction center in lead right now.

Do we know Martindale is supporting for The Americans this year?

I find it interesting that Betty Gabriel is in the prediction center for Westworld. Is HBO planning to push her? HBO tends to be selective with who they submit, so the fact that she, a no name actress, is already in the prediction center before fans have seen her makes me think that she HBO must know she’s great.

Will Sundance submit Liar in limited? Unless it is ineligible, it would make sense to be in the prediction center.

Is Electric Dreams submitting in limited series of TV movie? And can Janelle Monae be added to the prediction center for supporting actress?

I suspect Jeff Daniels will go supporting for Godless so that he can get double nominated for The Looming Tower in lead.

I really want the Emmys to enforce there rules this year when ballots come out. Please. The fraud is too real.

dizzieblonde
    Participant
    Topics:

According to Production Weekly the season 2 of The Sinner is in production. If it isn’t an anthology the show will have to compete as a drama and Jessica Biel can say goodbye to her Emmy.

The Emmy rules are pretty clear:

“Limited Series is defined as a program with two (2) or more episodes with a total running time of at least 150 program minutes that tells a complete, non-recurring story, and does not have an on-going storyline and/or main characters in subsequent seasons.”

I don’t think some suffix to a title will find a way through this rule – shows like The Sinner and Top Of The Lake are now dramas with ongoing main characters, and thematic continuation, in multiple series. Just because they choose new cases, or new locations, doesn’t make them anthologies, in the way something like ACS is. There is no direct linkage between the OJ season and the Versace one – that’s a correctly defined limited series. A lot of these others are attempting to sneak under the line to qualify for a less competitive category.

Given the profusion of cable and streaming shows that get labelled ‘Limited’ until such time they are renewed after critical acclaim (and nomination periods are finished), it’s a nasty trick that needs to be clamped down on. I’m guessing they couldn’t hold The Sinner’s renewal, given it’s going into production, and they had to be content with what they got from the Golden Globes. I don’t think they’ll see anything once they’re put in the Drama category, but it’s the sacrifice they’re making in order to renew a successful show.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The rules are clear for sure, but the Emmys clearly do not always abide by them and that is where it gets tricky.  Of course, rules are not really rules if they only apply sometimes. The Live Another Day suffix never even appeared on screen in 24, but it was enough for it to go limited. The Missing is the ultimate fraud.  The second season was ordered before the first even aired in America, yet both seasons were allowed to go limited.  The main character of the second season went supporting to boot.

The Emmys are also inconsistent with how they handle “movies”.  Sherlock is allowed to pretend that it only makes one episode per season.  Black Mirror is allowed to pretend that it only makes one episode per season in one category, but it acknowledges its other episodes in other categories.  But then Saints & Strangers tried to enter only one of its episodes and the academy ruled against it.  All of this is to say that this is not as simple as checking the rule book.

I can’t believe I’m predicting Justin Hartley.

Same. What a difference a year makes. Well done to the This is Us writers for addressing criticisms of the first season. Toby is a lot better too.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Anonymous
    Topics:

SpoilerTV reports that The Sinner is returning with Bull Pullman’s detective character taking on a new case. This time, instead of the sinner being Jessica Biel killing a guy for no reason, it is an eleven-year-old boy killing two people for no reason.

Obviously, this makes it not a limited series, but can it still be a limited series for the Emmys? We have seen this done a couple of times.

The closest template is Secrets and Lies from a couple of years ago on ABC. It adapted a closed-ended story, with Ryan Phillippe receiving top billing as the suspect. But it was such a success that ABC quickly announced that they would be bringing it back with Juliette Lewis’s detective character taking on a new case. Even though it missed an Emmy cycle, the first season was still forced to go drama.

Around the same time, The Missing told a closed-ended story, with James Nesbitt receiving top billing as the father of the missing. But it was such a success that it was quickly announced that it would be returning with Tchéky Karyo’s detective character taking on a new case. It missed an Emmy cycle, but both seasons miraculously were allowed to go limited. However, The Missing had something major that neither The Sinner nor Secrets and Lies had: It was British. It is nonsensical that this should be a factor, but it is. Remember when the second season of The Hour won miniseries writing, even though it maintained its entire cast and made no assertions about being an anthology?

So my guess is that The Sinner is forced into drama and Jessica Biel can kiss her nomination goodbye. I will also remove my limited series prediction of it at this time. People seem just a bit more riled up about this kind of thing after Big Little Lies. There is one thing that can still save Biel. If USA announces a subtitle, then she is back in limited, per Top of the Lake, Twin Peaks and 24, with the first two admittedly pending. Note how The X-Files was forced into drama because it did not have one. Sasha, start praying for an official announcement of “The Sinner: Little Boy“, which is only slightly more ridiculous than “China Girl“.

And just for the record, this whole thing is ridiculous. A new case does not make something an anthology. Was Dexter an anthology because he faced a new serial killer every season? Or Homeland and 24 because they take down a different terrorist threat every season?

What? They’re doing second season? What a bunch of fucking fools! It worked perfectly as miniseries, why ruin something that was great as it was? Oh right, money. But trust me, second season will flop, both ratings and quality-wise. And I’m not gonna pray for subtitle. You know me, I am against category fraud even if it costs my favorite nomination/win. If it’s regular TV series so be it. And it’s kinda hilarious that if competing in miniseries you’re frontrunner but in drama series you probably won’t get even a nomination. That tells a lot about this year’s leading actress in miniseries category.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I kinda hope Janney goes back to Supporting category just so we can have the Metcalf vs. Janney debate all the way through September.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully Netflix is smart enough to push Sigourney Weaver for The Defenders given the weak competition this year. Maybe, because it is impossible in drama, Krysten Ritter also receives a nomination. Voters usually acknowledge visibility. I’m aware that these are longshots but still.

Anonymous
    Topics:

Simone Missick>>>> Sigourney Weaver

Neither will happen though so it doesn’t matter

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

What are the chances of Brendan Gleeson (Mr. Mercedes) getting nommed? Ik, it’s AT&T, but still?

Gaceru
    Participant
    Topics:

What are the chances of Brendan Gleeson (Mr. Mercedes) getting nommed? Ik, it’s AT&T, but still?

Zero.

Anonymous
    Topics:

Who could be Get multiple nominations?

Tiffany Haddish
    – The Last OG, Supporting/lead Actress
    – SNL, Guest Actress
    – She Ready! From the Hood to Hollywood, Variety Special/ writing

Jason Bateman
    – Arrested Development, Lead Actor
    -Ozark, Lead actor

Judith Light
    – ACS, Supporting actress
    -Transparent, supporting actress

Laura Dern
    – The Tale, lead actress
    – Twin Peaks, Supporting Actress

Elisabeth Moss
    -The Handmaid’s Tale, Lead Actress
    – Top of the Lake, lead Actress

Alison Brie
    – GLOW, Lead Actress
    – BoJack Horseman, Voiceover Performance

Jane Krakowski
    – UKS, Supporting Actress

Will Arnett
    -Supporting Actor, Arrested Development

Susan Sarandon
    – Rick & Morty, Voiceover Performance
    – Ray Donovan, Supporting Actress

These seem like the only realistic ones I could think of. Did I miss any? Right now the only ones I’m predicting are Haddish, Bateman, and Dern.

AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Comedy Series:
    1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Atlanta
    3. GLOW
    4. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    5. Silicon Valley
    6. black-ish
    7. Will and Grace

Best Actor in Comedy:
    1. Donald Glover, Atlanta
    2. Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiam
    3. Anthony Anderson, black-ish
    4. Erik McCormack, Will and Grace
    5. Ted Danson, The Good Place
    6. William H. Macy, Shameless

Best Actress in a Comedy:
    1. Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Alison Brie, GLOW
    3. Allison Janney, Mom
    4. Tracee Ellis Ross, black-ish
    5. Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie
    6. Jane Fonda, Grace and Frankie

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy:
    1. Marc Maron, GLOW
    2. Sean Hayes, Will and Grace
    3. Louie Anderson, Baskets
    4. Brian Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    5. Beck Bennett, Saturday Night Live
    6. Kumail Nanjiani, Silicon Valley

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy:
    1. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
    2. Megan Mullally, Will and Grace
    3. Leslie Jones, Saturday Night Live
    4. Betty Gilpin, GLOW
    5. Cecily Strong, Saturday Night Live
    6. Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Tiffany Haddish
    – SNL, Guest Actress

Jason Bateman
    -Ozark, Lead actor

Judith Light

Laura Dern
    – The Tale, lead actress

Alison Brie
    – GLOW, Lead Actress

Jane Krakowski

Will Arnett

Susan Sarandon

These seem like the only realistic ones I could think of. Did I miss any? Right now the only ones I’m predicting are Haddish, Bateman, and Dern.

I’d say Elisabeth Moss is probably likelier than all of those (Drama for HT and Limited for Top of the Lake).

Anonymous
    Topics:

Tiffany Haddish
    – SNL, Guest Actress

Jason Bateman
    -Ozark, Lead actor

Judith Light

Laura Dern
    – The Tale, lead actress

Alison Brie
    – GLOW, Lead Actress

Jane Krakowski

Will Arnett

Susan Sarandon

I’d say Elisabeth Moss is probably likelier than all of those (Drama for HT and Limited for Top of the Lake).

I knew I forgot one. How did I Of all people forget her? I added her to the list but I’m actually not predicting her to get nominated for Top of the Lake.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see China Girl flopping like it did at the guilds and we should mention that there is still a chance that the Emmys shuffle it to drama. Laura Dern and Jason Bateman are solid. The latter has had a surprisingly good awards run so far for Ozark and he was the one part of the last season of Arrested Development that everyone seemed to agree deserved recognition.

Zero.

He needed that Globe nomination, which we heard that they campaigned for. @gaceru, can you tell us more about what Production Weekly says about The Sinner? Bill Pullman just signed on to replace William Hurt in a movie that is already filming, so maybe the second season starts filming next month?

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Gaceru
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see China Girl flopping like it did at the guilds and we should mention that there is still a chance that the Emmys shuffle it to drama. Laura Dern and Jason Bateman are solid. The latter has had a surprisingly good awards run so far for Ozark and he was the one part of the last season of Arrested Development that everyone seemed to agree deserved recognition.

Zero.

He needed that Globe nomination, which we heard that they campaigned for. @gaceru, can you tell us more about what Production Weekly says about The Sinner? Bill Pullman just signed on to replace William Hurt in a movie that is already filming, so maybe the second season starts filming next month?

I only know that it’s in production, I don`t have access to filming dates.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmy Awards 2018 Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.