Home Forums Television Emmys 2018 – Writing and Directing Drama

Emmys 2018 – Writing and Directing Drama

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Riley
Luca Giliberti
Stegeo
  • Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Which episodes do you think the top contenders should submit? I know we haven’t seen a lot of television yet but some shows eligible for the Emmys this year have already wrapped.

I would say for writing:

The Crown: Dear Mrs. Kennedy or Vergangenheit

Game of Thrones: The Dragon and the Wolf

This Is Us: The Fifth Wheel or perhaps the superbowl episode that airs in 1 week.

Stranger Things: The Gate

Directing:

GOT: The Spoils of War, The Dragon and the Wolf

ST: The Gate

The Crown: Dear Mrs.Kennedy

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

Jack J.
    Participant
    Topics:

I bet Mindhunter gets a Directing nom.
    The Gate will get noms in both categories.
    This is Us submits terribly again and gets nothing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions based on shows that have already aired, not future seasons like THT or WW.

Drama Directing

Uta Briesewitz (This Is Us)
    Stephan Daldry (The Crown)
    The Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things)
    Mark Mylod (Game of Thrones)
    Jeremy Podeswa (Game of Thrones)
    Matt Shakman (Game of Thrones)

Drama Writing

Megan Abbott (The Deuce)
    David Benioff, DB Weiss (Game of Thrones)
    The Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things)
    Peter Morgan (The Crown)
    Chris Mundy (Ozark)
    Kate Trefry (Stranger Things)

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES:
    The Americans: Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg, “Finale”
    The Crown: Peter Morgan, “Dear Mrs. Kennedy”
    Game of Thrones: David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, “The Dragon and the Wolf”
    The Handmaid’s Tale: Bruce Miller, “The Fruit”
    Stranger Things: The Duffer Brothers, “The Gate”
    Westworld: Lisa Joy & Jonathan Nolan, “Journey into Night”

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES:
    Game of Thrones: Jeremy Podeswa, “The Dragon and the Wolf”
    Game of Thrones: Matt Shakman, “The Spoils of War”
    Game of Thrones: Alan Tayor, “Beyond the Wall”
    The Handmaid’s Tale: Mike Barker, “Under His Eye”
    Westworld: Jonathan Nolan, “Journey into Night”

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I started writing my predictions, but they are very similar to Riley’s so I would leave the writing categories the same and maybe leave out one Game of Thrones director. Also, why not predicting Reed Morano again?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I do not believe that she is returning in any capacity on the show.  Mike Barker has taken over as producing director and has the first couple episodes this season, the finale and some in between.  I would think that they would want to bring back Kate Dennis, but I have not heard anything and want to see what she has.  I want to see some dramas make multiple writing submissions this year.  That category is way too obvious if they all just submit singles again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Reed Morano will not returning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES:
    The Americans: Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg, “Finale”
    The Crown: Peter Morgan, “Dear Mrs. Kennedy”
    Game of Thrones: David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, “The Dragon and the Wolf”
    The Handmaid’s Tale: Bruce Miller, “The Fruit”
    Westworld: Lisa Joy & Jonathan Nolan, “Journey into Night”

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES:
    Game of Thrones: Jeremy Podeswa, “The Dragon and the Wolf”
    Game of Thrones: Matt Shakman, “The Spoils of War”
    Game of Thrones: Alan Tayor, “Beyond the Wall”
    The Handmaid’s Tale: Mike Barker, “Under His Eye”
    Westworld: Jonathan Nolan, “Journey into Night”

very accurate predictions I think, I’d love to see some recognition for Ozark though; I don’t know, I just loved that show

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not believe that she is returning in any capacity on the show. Mike Barker has taken over as producing director and has the first couple episodes this season, the finale and some in between. I would think that they would want to bring back Kate Dennis, but I have not heard anything and want to see what she has. I want to see some dramas make multiple writing submissions this year. That category is way too obvious if they all just submit singles again.

I had no idea. Weird.

I guess The Deuce isn’t getting in for writing?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Ozark is in these races, but I will sooner predict This is Us and I am not really considering it at this point.  David Simon shows always have a tough time and the allegations against James Franco might be the nail in the coffin.  It was nominated by more guilds than This is Us this year and also Treme when it started, so The Deuce still has the potential for a handful of nominations, but it might also be shut out, like Golden Globe-winning Show Me a Hero.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think that we have five that are extremely likely for directing: “June” (Mike Barker), “The Gate” (The Duffer Brothers), “The Spoils of War” (Matt Shakman), “Beyond the Wall” (Alan Taylor) and “The Dragon and the Wolf” (Jeremy Podeswa).  The sixth slot is either whatever episode of Mindhunter David Fincher submits, the fourth director of Game of Thrones (Mark Mylod), The Crown (Stephen Daldry), the Westworld finale (Jonathan Nolan) or another episode of The Handmaid’s Tale (Kari Skogland or the director of the ninth and tenth episodes).

Right now, I would bet on Jonathan Nolan.  He seems to have enough name recognition to overcome the other directors on his show and it would be weird for a show that will probably get about twenty nominations not to have directing.  It will be interesting if The Handmaid’s Tale only submits two of its three directors and it also remains to be seen if the material is there in the last four eligible episodes, as I do not see Skogland being nominated for the third or fourth episodes and Barker did the other four of the six that I have seen.  And with only one slot open, quality should make a difference.  Daldry did not repeat at BAFTA and missed DGA, but these British shows always do better with the Emmys’ directing branch than the DGA.

In another year, perennial nominee Lesli Linka Glatter for Homeland, Chris Long for The Americans finale, Michelle MacLaren for The Deuce‘s pilot and David Hollander for Ray Donovan would be competitive.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

If Ray Donovan gets a directing nomination, it’ll be for Zenta Fuentes, who directed the highlight episode. We have seen in the past they watch the show and vote where it deserves it, as seen by Hollander’s nomination. Fuentes would have the best shot, in my opinion. She won’t happen though.

ReplyCopy URL
    ViceWicked
    Participant
    Topics:

I would still like to include “The Book of Nora” and Mimi Leder in the conversation. Why not? It’s that effing great! Or Until it sinks into the Emmy voters how they fucked up their jobs by not giving The Leftovers the recognitions it deserved.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  ViceWicked.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I would still like to include “The Book of Nora” and Mimi Leder in the conversation. Why not? It’s that effing great! Or Until it sinks into the Emmy voters how they fucked up their jobs by not giving The Leftovers the reconitions it deserved.

Ehm, “The Book of Nora” is not eligible I believe. I was actually predicting it for last year and was of course disappointed when the nominations came out haha.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that we have five that are extremely likely for directing: “June” (Mike Barker), “The Gate” (The Duffer Brothers), “The Spoils of War” (Matt Shakman), “Beyond the Wall” (Alan Taylor) and “The Dragon and the Wolf” (Jeremy Podeswa). The sixth slot is either whatever episode of Mindhunter David Fincher submits, the fourth director of Game of Thrones (Mark Mylod), The Crown (Stephen Daldry), the Westworld finale (Jonathan Nolan) or another episode of The Handmaid’s Tale (Kari Skogland or the director of the ninth and tenth episodes). Right now, I would bet on Jonathan Nolan. He seems to have enough name recognition to overcome the other directors on his show and it would be weird for a show that will probably get about twenty nominations not to have directing. It will be interesting if The Handmaid’s Tale only submits two of its three directors and it also remains to be seen if the material is there in the last four eligible episodes, as I do not see Skogland being nominated for the third or fourth episodes and Barker did the other four of the six that I have seen. And with only one slot open, quality should make a difference. Daldry did not repeat at BAFTA and missed DGA, but these British shows always do better with the Emmys’ directing branch than the DGA. In another year, perennial nominee Lesli Linka Glatter for Homeland, Chris Long for The Americans finale, Michelle MacLaren for The Deuce‘s pilot and David Hollander for Ray Donovan would be competitive.

And you can never count out Leslie Linka Glatter, she has been nominated practically every year

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.