Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 483 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
The Person Fo..
Stranger_Amon..
  • Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Schitt’s Creek had the perfect # of acting nominations (only 1 in each key category so no internal competition) and the perfect feel-good series finale to sweep up writing and directing so that this could happen. Anyone who watches Schitt’s Creek knows that each of those 4 actors is essentially perfect for their individual role and it doesn’t surprise me that voters just checked off the boxes for all 4 members of the Rose family.

I think the sense of “Schitt’s Creek can’t possibly sweep all 4 acting categories” was the only reason why Annie Murphy wasn’t leading the odds. It was clear if you had read the room that Maisel had lost its steam and passion a while ago.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Schitt’s Creek had the perfect # of acting nominations (only 1 in each key category so no internal competition) and the perfect feel-good series finale to sweep up writing and directing so that this could happen. Anyone who watches Schitt’s Creek knows that each of those 4 actors is essentially perfect for their individual role and it doesn’t surprise me that voters just checked off the boxes for all 4 members of the Rose family. I think the sense of “Schitt’s Creek can’t possibly sweep all 4 acting categories” was the only reason why Annie Murphy wasn’t leading the odds. It was clear if you had read the room that Maisel had lost its steam and passion a while ago.

I agree with all of this but whilst I thought it was going to do well (didn’t imagine this big a sweep) I think it’s unfair to say it was clear that it was an obvious thing when so many shows like Insecure and What We Do in the Shadows had bounced up quite a bit in nominations and Maisel had literally just won SAG ensemble over Fleabag and Schitt’s.

Likely? Yes. Clear? No.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Depending on what comes back and what doesn’t, I think “Maisel” can rebound in future seasons. It’s the kind of show that can serve as a default when other contenders sit out. If the quality of the show dips or another zeitgeisty show enters the scene, the comedy field changes yet again.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Depending on what comes back and what doesn’t, I think “Maisel” can rebound in future seasons. It’s the kind of show that can serve as a default when other contenders sit out. If the quality of the show dips or another zeitgeisty show enters the scene, the comedy field changes yet again.

Unless it makes a comeback with it’s final season whenever that is. But I really only see that with nominations, not wins.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trial of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Golden Globes (TV): Ted Lasso (Best Comedy Series), Jason Sudekis (Best Actor in a Comedy Series), Hannah Waddingham (Best Supporting Actress), The Boys (Best Drama Series), Anthony Starr (Best Actor in a Drama Series)

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I think the other thing that Schitt’s had going for it was that it achieved something that even many of the best, most acclaimed shows don’t – it stuck the landing.

So many final seasons of so many TV shows are nowhere near as good as those shows were at their peak – Schitt’s went out on a high.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Unless it makes a comeback with it’s final season whenever that is. But I really only see that with nominations, not wins.

Yeah like I said I see it as the new Mad Men (a show that is an Emmy juggernaut that is always in the top 2/3 for the win but isn’t win competitive again until its final season) more than it being The Handmaid’s Tale.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The actors can win again without it being the last season.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

I agree with all of this but whilst I thought it was going to do well (didn’t imagine this big a sweep) I think it’s unfair to say it was clear that it was an obvious thing when so many shows like Insecure and What We Do in the Shadows had bounced up quite a bit in nominations and Maisel had literally just won SAG ensemble over Fleabag and Schitt’s. Likely? Yes. Clear? No.

Using SAG after it happened literally 9 months ago in the year 2020 before the pandemic always seemed like shaky reasoning at best to me. SAG was also the same place that snubbed both Watchmen and Succession before they went on to get 6 and 9 acting nominations respectively.

And, I only said it was an obvious thing that specifically the heat around Maisel had died down a bit to explain why I thought that Alex Borstein was probably not going to win despite being the frontrunner. I’m not saying that people suddenly don’t like/watch Maisel btw. I’m just trying to say that, when making the comparison to Schitt’s Creek which made such a huge climb in nominations and buzz just within the past year, Maisel did not relatively have that same level of buzz in recent months.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The actors can win again without it being the last season.

Especially considering how beloved Shalhoub and Borstein are. Sure I know we’ve just said using SAG is shakey but the fact she managed to get back into SAG when she could have been snubbed for Natasha Lyonne for example shows how beloved she is imo.

Annie Murphy deserved her win but the irony that Borstein lost for her best season.

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

As happy as I am to see the SCHITT’S CREEK sweep, I do have to say that its Directing win was certainly questionable. I knew it could happen, but I still thought that the glitz of MAISEL would pull it off. I also had a sneaking feeling about Murphy but still predicted Borstein. I also agree that it is definitely ironic that Borstein lost for what was essentially her best season…plus her rant to Jane Lynch was superb to the point where I assumed she had already won at that exact moment.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    Lieutenant
    Topics:

overjoyed for Catherine O’Hara and especially Annie Murphy

Laura Linney was robbed.

Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

I predicted 6/7 for Schitts and yet, it was SO INCREDIBLE to see them making HISTORY!

– First Comedy to make 7/7 at the Emmys;
    – Most wins for a Comedy in a final season;
    – Most wins for a Comedy in a year, period;
    – Dan Levy ties as the person to win most Emmys in a single night;
    – Dan Levy is the only person in ANY award history to win all four (producing, acting, directing, writing) major disciplines in the same year/project

What a way to go, SO SO HAPPY!!

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Still on a high over “Schitt’s Creek” epic Emmy sweep! I didn’t think I’d see that happen in my lifetime! I predicted 5/7, thinking that Levy and O’Hara would miss out for POC nominees Youssef and Rae. I could see both of the latter winning Emmys at some point in some form of either acting, writing, producing, or directing. Daniel Levy is our new multi-hyphenate Tina Fey and PWB. I knew that right after “Happy Ending” aired. Annie Murphy’s win is my favorite of the entire night! I predicted her, but thought I’d be wrong with Borstein winning the three-peat. Ready for whatever is next for her! She’s ready for a leading vehicle NOW!!! I’m truly over the moon for her!

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

ET After-Wins for Cast (the closest thing we’ll get to a press conference):

https://youtu.be/f6csnf_bY4E

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

How awesome was it to have Lin-Manuel Miranda and The Count from Sesame Street talk about WWDITS? That was epic. Kinda shows you how fun that show is.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers’ is closed to new replies.