Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 483 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
The Person Fo..
Stranger_Amon..
  • Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

How awesome was it to have Lin-Manuel Miranda and The Count from Sesame Street talk about WWDITS? That was epic. Kinda shows you how fun that show is.

That was so great. But, as a side note, I feel like shows in the later parts of the ceremony (basically all the Limited Series and Drama nominations) got the short end of the stick because their acting nominations didn’t have any clips to showcase their talent and their series nominations didn’t have famous people speaking about how much they love the show.

I get that you want to keep the ceremony short and speedy but they should’ve figured out a different way to do that than giving Comedy so much attention and so many videos that showcase it before just zipping through the rest.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

That was so great. But, as a side note, I feel like shows in the later parts of the ceremony (basically all the Limited Series and Drama nominations) got the short end of the stick because their acting nominations didn’t have any clips to showcase their talent

I think they were just trying to end on time tbh lol. I wish they showed the clips for the other acting noms though

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

It was a big call for Tom O’Neill to single out Annie Murphy as the only undeserving winner of the ceremony when clearly everyone here agrees she wasn’t even the worst one for Schitt’s (that’d be Directing, and I’m also one of the people who would argue Murphy has the best character arc of the series)

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

From critically reviewed.

To critically acclaimed. The Literal Glow up.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

It was a big call for Tom O’Neill to single out Annie Murphy as the only undeserving winner of the ceremony when clearly everyone here agrees she wasn’t even the worst one for Schitt’s (that’d be Directing, and I’m also one of the people who would argue Murphy has the best character arc of the series)

I have a feeling he hasn’t seen the whole show, but he wasn’t wrong on another point. These sweeps are getting pretty concerning. I wouldn’t object to more guidelines being set.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“I got a FedEx delivery of all seven awards to my house”: This Toronto event producer presented Emmys to the Schitt’s Creek cast in a hazmat tuxedo
    https://torontolife.com/culture/movies-and-tv/i-got-a-fedex-delivery-of-all-seven-awards-to-my-house-this-toronto-woman-presented-emmys-to-the-schitts-creek-cast-in-a-hazmat-tuxedo/?fbclid=IwAR0EAc-l-iOzLd_kNcg3xVxmD0ULFr707sSsKckDDpDvxRNXPIL1S_uJYto

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

People only hold issue with the sweeps because of the directing choices, whether it’s Schitt’s this year or Fleabag last year, and that’s an issue with that branch being ridiculously name-checky and also seeming unable to think for themselves as a branch.

In terms of acting wins, it’s not like over the past two years we’ve seen a winner undeservedly swept up with their series (what Tom said was not just rude, it was untrue).

This voting system has lead to sweeps, but also to a feast of passion picks, so honestly I see no issue.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

It was a big call for Tom O’Neill to single out Annie Murphy as the only undeserving winner of the ceremony

That Schitt’s Creek sweep was embarrassing and yeah, it robbed plenty of deserving contenders in other categories but Annie Murphy was literally one of the best wins of the night. She really brought it this season and gave the best performance on the show this year by far. Imagine singling out her as undeserving because I can’t.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

One thing I will NOT tolerate is Annie Murphy slander.

Murphy had my by far favorite performance of the four main cast members. O’Hara is undeniably iconic, but Annie ended up stealing the show for me. Alexis is a bit of a stereotypical character that could have just been played in the very easy Paris Hilton ditzy type of way, but Murphy did something special with her. She created a warmth and genuine kindness in her, and while most of those phone and beauty obsessed characters tend to be portrayed as brainless zombies, Annie brought such a wonderful energy to every scene. While O’Hara had the best line deliveries, Murphy’s facial expressions are unmatched. She actually reminds me of Julia Louis-Dreyfus in how she can transform any bland line into something great with just her facial expressions.

Alexis also had such an amazing arc from pilot to finale, and Murphy portrayed it flawlessly. Alexis actually isn’t that interesting of a character, but Murphy brought so much life to her that she’s without a doubt my favorite. The character wouldn’t have been half as much of a fan favorite in the hands of Sarah Levy or most other actresses. She was the MVP of the last season.

I allow myself rare occasions to go into crazy stan mode, and this is one. Annie Murphy was one of the MOST deserving wins of the night, and I’m so thrilled about it.

Guest impression over.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

annie murphy was literally one of the best wins of the night and i don’t just mean in the comedy section.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Annie Murphy was my favorite win of the night aswell

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Annie Murphy absolutely deserved. When you see her speak IRL it becomes really clear just how much of a transformation is involved in creating Alexis – her voice, her facial expressions and her hand movements that are all very deliberate choices. Maybe my favourite surprise win of the night.

re: Directing, I did think it was going to be Maisel because it’s just a bit showier directing-wise. But it’s hard to draw comparison between Maisel and Schitt’s in that regard because directorially they’re so different. So either the directors were just checking boxes, or they just went with something less flashy this time out.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Annie Murphy was literally one of the best wins of the night. She was actually trending on Twitter.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Her reaction to winning warmed my heart — and, as I’d mentioned, I never watched the show.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers’ is closed to new replies.