Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 483 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
The Person Fo..
Stranger_Amon..
  • Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Annie Murphy is only second to O’Hara on the Schitt’s Creek cast. Those two were the wins SC truly deserved. They were also superior to most Limited and Drama acting wins.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Murphy is fantastic on that show. The real bad win as the completely average direction taking it.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Annie Murphy winning made my night. Annie was the MVP of season 6 to me and her journey with this role is fascinating as well.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Moira Rose winning a Primetime Emmy finally came true. Annie Murphy as Alexis Rose will forever be a performance that will stay in my heart. So thrilled for her win. The 2-consecutive-wins-and-no-more pattern continues! It’s ok, 3 consecutive Emmys for Borstein would be too much even with this season having been her best. I wonder who wins next year. Maybe the sublime Betty Gilpin benefits from a potentially barren field for her final season?

My guess is Borstein would benefit from a barren field over Gilpin. She couldn’t pull off the three-peat, but at least now she doesn’t have to worry about winning fatigue. Gilpin’s ability to hang on for this long when they’ve completely abandoned her show is impressive, but I think the nomination has always been her reward.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I think they’re done rewarding SNL in supporting. The series can still pull off guest wins, but I think they’re going to require a critical resurgence to get another supporting win, and I don’t see that happening.

McKinnon already won twice and there’s no pull to reward her again, and given she sucks up the spotlight from all the other women, I doubt anyone else gets a big enough showcase to move past her in the race.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

People only hold issue with the sweeps because of the directing choices, whether it’s Schitt’s this year or Fleabag last year, and that’s an issue with that branch being ridiculously name-checky and also seeming unable to think for themselves as a branch.

This is simply not true considering the Drama and Limited Series directing winners. They probably don’t think too highly of Comedy directing that might be why they are going with the series frontrunners in the last two years. If what you said was true The Extraordinary Being and This is Not for Fears would’ve been the winners in their categories.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I think they’re done rewarding SNL in supporting. The series can still pull off guest wins, but I think they’re going to require a critical resurgence to get another supporting win, and I don’t see that happening. McKinnon already won twice and there’s no pull to reward her again, and given she sucks up the spotlight from all the other women, I doubt anyone else gets a big enough showcase to move past her in the race.

They really should consider making a separate category for sketch performances. I’m sick of SNL clogging up the guest acting and supporting categories.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You know it’s so shameful that SNL is clogging up all these acting categories. Had it been ineligible for them we could have had people like Gillian Anderson and Caroline Aaron in Supporting Actress, Leroy McClain or Nicholas Hoult in Supporting Actor, Zachary Levi, Dustin Milligan and Jason Alexander in Guest Actor and Judith Light would have deservingly gotten into Guest Actress!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Annie Murphy was my favorite comedy win of the night. She was the most vulnerable to lose, and she didn’t! Huge win for her! It would have been churlish to not include her in the sweep. This will catapult her career moving forward. Also fine with the directing win. “Happy Ending” might not have had the production values and location changes that “Maisel” had, but that doesn’t make it any less worthy of acknowledgment. The episode was beautifully done, and as mentioned earlier, they landed the series finale perfectly, which as we’ve seen countless times isn’t always the case. Extra points for that.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

They used to have the Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program – Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor categories during the 1970s.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I know that there are a lot of Schitt’s Creek fans on here, but it’s kinda embarrassing that it won for writing when they showed those clips. What We Do In The Shadows was so clearly superior when it came to writing. Even Dan admitted that he was inexperienced. Anyways, I hope WWDITS gets the WGA.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To be honest I don’t think we’re ever getting a sweep like Schitt’s Creek did in Comedy ever again. Both because there will be more competitive shows and also its sweep of all 8 categories whilst shows like Insecure and Ramy got shut out seems to have had a bit of a mixed reception so I don’t know whether the TV Academy members are going to go that bold again.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Nah, Writing win was fine. The Directing one however is an embarassment of a highest degree.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Nah, Writing win was fine. The Directing one however is an embarassment of a highest degree.

The directing win was atrocious. Ramy Youssef even laughed when they won that. But no, WWDITS deserved writing.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Idk why but I actually kinda surprised that I couldn’t see the sweep coming. Should have really stick with my gut instead of my brain

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers’ is closed to new replies.