Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 483 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
The Person Fo..
Stranger_Amon..
  • Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I do have to say, since it was brought up, that the McKinnon and Baldwin wins in 2017 were certainly more based on politics than the quality.

I love Kate McKinnon but the fact that Judith Light lost for the season 3 finale of TRANSPARENT is simply shameful. For me, that was one of the best slam dunk submission episodes ever.

Baldwin’s win upset me a little less, even though I tired of his impression after the debate sketches…and he stole what should’ve been Titus Burgess’ Emmy.

As for SCHITT’s CREEK, I do think it winning Directing was a bit much. I also feel like the Writing win was deserved but WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS is even funnier and I would’ve loved an upset from that show.

Daniel Levy is certainly more of a Lead in the show…especially as the show progressed. I also agree that I can accept the idea of Annie Murphy in Supporting but it does feel like Dan Levy was committing category fraud.

Lastly, it’s a shame that for these final two seasons that the Emmys never recognized Emily Hampshire…especially for season 5 as “The Hospies” and “Life is a Cabaret” would’ve made for truly wonderful submissions for her.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Politics, or huge through the roof buzz that hit the zeitgeist far harder than all the other nominees combined, sure.

But even if you’re anti-snl, 2017 provided the only non-white lead or supporting comedy acting win in the last 10 years, the only non-white directing comedy win in the last 10 years, and 50% of the non-white writing comedy wins. All much deserved.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Genuine question: do people really think that direction is just about visuals?

Like just because Midge has just spun into an elevator again after some amazing tracking shot doesn’t mean the show’s well directed.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Genuine question: do people really think that direction is just about visuals? Like just because Midge has just spun into an elevator again after some amazing tracking shot doesn’t mean the show’s well directed.

I’ve said this a couple of times. Maisel is flashier but that doesn’t mean it automatically deserves to win Directing.

Directing is just as much about storytelling as it is about visuals. I did think Maisel was taking it but I don’t think Schitt’s taking the win is as egregious as people are making out. They’re just completely different shows from a directorial perspective.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I personally think the Great is better directed than Maisel lol, and to an extent some episodes of Ramy. But Schitt’s Creek’s directing is just… bland.

Maisel is a bit overrated in that though, I feel like its flashy cinematography and production value makes people think it’s an achievement in directing- and while it is very good it’s not extraordinary.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

I don’t own a television so I’m limited to shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I haven’t seen season six of Schitt’s Creek because it hasn’t made it to Netflix yet, but I am happy for all the wins it received whether they were deserved or not. A lot of awards are given out to undeserving winners, in my humble…

I love the series and it’s my go to when I need to laugh a bit. Happy as schitt that all four actors won their acting categories and I repeatedly watched their reactions on YouTube. Hopefully, season six will arrive on Netflix soon! I need another binge.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Genuine question: do people really think that direction is just about visuals? Like just because Midge has just spun into an elevator again after some amazing tracking shot doesn’t mean the show’s well directed.

Beyond Maisel’s visuals, it’s still the better directed show. Schitt’s Creek is perfectly fine in that department, but as someone else said, it’s just bland.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

IMO Schitt’s Creek would have been a deserving winner in directing in like 2010. It’s fine but it’s again like people have said bland.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Genuine question: do people really think that direction is just about visuals?

Like just because Midge has just spun into an elevator again after some amazing tracking shot doesn’t mean the show’s well directed.

Thank you. Direction encompasses so much more than just the “visuals.” “Schitt’s Creek”‘s win in directing is perfectly fine and deserved.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

thank you! this is why I maintain that Fleabag’s directing win last year is also perfectly fine (although barry/lily is a better directed episode than this year’s Maisel’s submissions). I’ve said it before but the Maisel tracking shot schtick has grown stale.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Will and Grace with its We Love Lucy episode showed you can still have great direction in a decades old format and still go toe to toe with bigger, flashier shows. So, those excuses don’t work for Schitt’s Creek IMO and I’d disagree that it would be deserving even a decade ago either.

Maisel can be sometimes overpraised because of how far ahead of its competition it is in terms of tech related stuff but I take issue with people reducing the directors’ (particularly ASP) work to just tracking shots and such (they do use that a lot though lol).
    Like one of the best directed moments this season was in the finale when Midge is leaving the Maisel household for the tour. The camera is fixed at the foot of the stairs, without any editing and the characters are moving in and out of the frame, talking with/over each other. It’s chaotic but not messy, there’s a flow with which the scene moves, the characters move. The physicality involved in making that scene work, to actually make it funny wouldn’t have been possible without ASP’s guidance and direction. It’s as crucial to the scene as the acting or the writing. Not to be extremely harsh but there’s nothing on SC that comes close. The treasure hunt episode for example could have been more interesting if it wasn’t so poorly staged. It felt like the director has no sense of the place he is working with. I won’t even go into It’s Commedy or Cabbage because I won’t do justice to that complete ART. The second half was not ASP’s usual style but she nailed it. Like chile the mood, the atmosphere. The great visuals are just a cherry on the top.

I do agree Maisel can be sometimes overpraised because of its technical proficiency. Like I thought the Catskills episode was not particularly impressive on any scale (Dan usually has been a so-so director IMO) but Maisel was extremely deserving this year. I was rooting for ASP and James Burrows. I’d actually love to hear the opinions of people in favor of SC’s win here.

P.S. Oop didn’t realize it would get so long…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can I say the irony that some of the people (not all) who are saying that people are overxaggerating when they think that Modern Family, Will and Grace, Maisel and The Great are better directed shows than Schitt’s Creek this year are the same people who attacked Rachel when she was saying people were overreacting by saying Nicholas Braun was the worst nominee this year because she didn’t like Schitts’ directing win.

I mean I don’t think Braun is the worst nominee of the year but can we just put this all behind us and agree that maybe not everyone likes Braun’s nomination and not everyone likes Schitts’ win in Directing and that it could be for multiple reasons and not because “they don’t know what directing is” or “they’re just hating on Succession”.

Also yes Couverture I absolutely agree with you on It’s Comedy or Cabbage. Fleabag was deserving of its directing win last year imo over We’re Going to the Catskills (which let’s face it the only directorial achievements were Abe doing exercises and that whole outdoor view of the lodge shouting scene) and so was Barry last year (more deserving than Maisel in directing) but It’s Comedy or Cabbage is a true masterpiece in practically every way possible and is a great example of an episode that’s direction elevates its writing (and I’m not saying the elevation is making it flashier or that the writing on the ep was bad).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I mean I don’t think Braun is the worst nominee of the year but can we just put this all behind us

But you just brought it up again in this thread lol

We need to just stop talking about this.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But you just brought it up again in this thread lol We need to just stop talking about this.

Gosh you really are a big hypocrite.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

I’m not going to speak on what “deserved” to win Directing, but it did seem like people were overestimating Maisel’s chances to actually win Directing in the first place.

In actuality, Maisel won the Emmy for Directing only once back in 2018 when it won Series and mostly everything else. Otherwise, it has never actually won at the DGA, and the Fleabag win for Directing last year should have been a clear sign that the show with the most “obvious” directing wouldn’t always be the winner.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Categories: Reactions to Winners and Losers’ is closed to new replies.