Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 478 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

So I googled to see how many Emmys Catherine O’Hara has won and she has only won one in the 80s and for writing. She hasn’t won an acting award??!??!?!? Ok I may prefer Brosnahan’s performance a little bit more and may want Issa to win here too but they can politely go away. Fully on the O’Hara train now (I was kind of 40% on it already). I swear if O’Hara loses it will prove the TV Academy has quite a big ageism problem.

Yeah she won Writing for SCTV – incidentally, the show where she first worked with Eugene Levy.

Profile picture
    Jesse
    Topics:

So people are predicting that voters didn’t watch season 6 of Schitt’s bc it’s not on Netflix, and gave it 15 votes based on their love for the first five seasons. If they live the show that much, then why wouldn’t they utilize the FYC streamers and catch up online. There’s definitely a percentage that isn’t caught up with any given show and is too lazy to use the provided links.
    But to argue that a majority of voters love a show’s first five seasons yet are too lazy to watch the free access they have is ridiculous.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So people are predicting that voters didn’t watch season 6 of Schitt’s bc it’s not on Netflix, and gave it 15 votes based on their love for the first five seasons. If they live the show that much, then why wouldn’t they utilize the FYC streamers and catch up online. There’s definitely a percentage that isn’t caught up with any given show and is too lazy to use the provided links.
    But to argue that a majority of voters love a show’s first five seasons yet are too lazy to watch the free access they have is ridiculous.

No one said a majority of voters haven’t watched the current season or that it will affect Schitt’s Creek‘s series chances.

I can’t speak for Rachel but for myself what I was concerned by is that outside of Maisel we have no definitive proof the acting branch are up to date on any of the shows nominated in acting (the writers and directors branch are clearly up to date on Schitt’s imo). Then you add that with the fact that the actors are lazy enough to not nominate Tom Pelphrey for a standout performance on a Netflix show that aired peak quarantine one does wonder whether the actors branch has seen the final season of something on PopTV.

I mean I’m not saying its going to stop Schitt’s Creek from winning Series (if Schitt’s loses it’s not because of this) but the scenario Schitt’s Creek is in is an interesting one because its unlike any situation of any show this year to be honest.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Promised Prince
    Topics:

Can someone explain to me the argument that a show being nominated in writing and directing implies proves that voters are caught up on it? In response to people speculating that voters are not caught up on season 6 of Schitts a Creek and watch it on Netflix some people are saying the writers and directors have seen it. This is presumably because the writers and directors nominated episodes from the current season.

I see the argument writers and directors are caught up because they nominate the current season a lot. It makes sense in cases when all or several episodes get nominated and the buzziest or best episodes get in. I would argue Better Call Saul voters are likely caught up because they nominated a ton of episodes for writing but the two strongest episodes got in.

Schitts creek submitted two episodes for writing and one for the directing and got it all in. That does not suggest at all that they saw season 6 or are not just checking boxes. If 5 or 6 episodes were nominated and happy ending and the presidential suite got in still that would suggest people had seen the episodes.

A lot of people don’t even realize that schitts creek has seasons before they come to Netflix, or may prefer to watch it on Netflix, voters included. Most probably realize it’s the final season. But why do people always assume the writers and directors do their homework and are caught up, when in the case of schitts creek they checked off the box on every episode it was nominated for in writing and directing. That gives no more indication that voters are caught up on season 6 than the core performers making it in.

Am I missing something? Sorry I’m late to the party. I have been reading the site for years, but almost never post.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

What I don’t understand is how Hampshire and Reid’s snubs indicate that the acting branch has not caught up on the sixth season. Hampshire has been on the show since season 1, and her best season was actually season 5, Reid also had great material in Season 4 and Season 5, be it his performance in Open Mic or The Hike.

The voters didn’t need to watch Season 6 to nominate either of the two, and it’s just as likely that they just didn’t prefer their performances. Season 6 would not have cemented their nominations any more than Season 4 or Season 5. I still can’t fathom how Hampshire missed, but when I look at the 8 nominees, I can see how she (or even Lynch for that matter) missed because all 8 of those performances are also quite deserving.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I predicted Hampshire and Milligan and in hindsight think that was pretty naive. They’re not huge names and voters seem to have watched more comedies than normal this year.

This is similar to a passion argument I guess, but I’m not sure that voters will feel compelled to check off every single submitted actor for one show, unless it’s a small cast (or When They See Us). I never would have nominated Chris Elliot for example. Even on an unlimited ballot, there’s no point.

Is it against SAG rules for the ballot to list actors by show instead of alphabetically? That would be interesting

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Mentioning directing, I really hope Schitt’s Creek doesn’t take it. The direction is perfectly fine, but completely unexceptional.

There should be a special honorary award for Moira’s big reveal though. That was astonishing. I actually died from laughing. Hats off. Still no Comedy or Cabbage though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Schitt’s Creek is taking Series, Actress and Writing but I’ve been listening to a few awards podcasts this week and I find it surprising that a lot of them seem to think that Eugene Levy is locked for the win whilst O’Hara will win but have a much harder path to the win. I actually see it the other way round (I think O’Hara will win and Ramy Yousseff will upset Eugene Levy).

Pete Hammond in Deadline Hollywood’s latest podcast notes that whilst he thinks O’Hara will be easily taking Lead Actress that Brosnahan is in upset position here and that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been everywhere from television adds to billboards to Maisel branded food deliveries to Academy members. I disagree with him on Brosnahan being in upset position (I think Issa Rae is second) but he does have a point when it comes to Maisel being everywhere and Amazon campaigning for it heavily. For example I live in an area just outside of outer London and I’ve seen ads for the show on television and seen local newspaper ads promoting Maisel.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/tv-talk-podcast-emmys-predictions-1203024992/

Obviously campaigning isn’t everything (ask Chris Evans this year) but considering shows like Maisel and Succession seem to be Emmy favourites campaigning for the wins in quite a few categories could we be underestimating them? I mean Dan Levy and Eugene Levy have been everywhere too (without being propped up by their network) so maybe Maisel’s campaigning gets cancelled out?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I think Schitt’s Creek is taking Series, Actress and Writing but I’ve been listening to a few awards podcasts this week and I find it surprising that a lot of them seem to think that Eugene Levy is locked for the win whilst O’Hara will win but have a much harder path to the win. I actually see it the other way round (I think O’Hara will win and Ramy Yousseff will upset Eugene Levy). Pete Hammond in Deadline Hollywood’s latest podcast notes that whilst he thinks O’Hara will be easily taking Lead Actress that Brosnahan is in upset position here and that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been everywhere from television adds to billboards to Maisel branded food deliveries to Academy members. I disagree with him on Brosnahan being in upset position (I think Issa Rae is second) but he does have a point when it comes to Maisel being everywhere and Amazon campaigning for it heavily. For example I live in an area just outside of outer London and I’ve seen ads for the show on television and seen local newspaper ads promoting Maisel. https://deadline.com/2020/08/tv-talk-podcast-emmys-predictions-1203024992/ Obviously campaigning isn’t everything (ask Chris Evans this year) but considering shows like Maisel and Succession seem to be Emmy favourites campaigning for the wins in quite a few categories could we be underestimating them? I mean Dan Levy and Eugene Levy have been everywhere too (without being propped up by their network) so maybe Maisel’s campaigning gets cancelled out?

I agree that Eugene Levy is nowhere near a lock. Yes, it’s a weaker category, but I believe Youssef and Danson are both ahead.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

That’s interesting that some commentators think Eugene Levy is the biggest lock – personally I think he’s the least likely to take the win. I have (O’Hara, Murphy, D Levy, E Levy as most to least likely). I think both the Rose women are winning but the men will be rewarded in Writing and Series.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Thats because he is in the easiest category. His biggest competitor seems to be Ramy who couldn’t have his show nominated in series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not predicting him to win but hopelesstar are you seriously not even considering 14 time Emmy nominee and also overdue Ted Danson in this race?

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I actually had him winning a few weeks ago lol. I switched to Levy because I’ve seen multiple publications pushing him and considering he got nominated last year and his show is winning series… he is also forming some kind of duo with O’Hara so I can see voters wanting to recognize both.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve noticed ‘as the odds reflected up until last week’ that lots of publications are pushing for double Schitt’s Creek wins in the Lead categories, double Maisel wins in the Supporting categories and a Schitt’s Creek win in Writing. Sure Rachel Brosnahan, Annie Murphy and Dan Levy have been doing lots of campaigning in their categories but outside of this site I’ve seen a lot of commentators just stating that O’Hara, Levy, Borstein and Shalhoub are locked.

It’s a bit disappointing that not many commentators are predicting the guest acting categories this year outside Gold Derby because I would like to have seen their thoughts.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.