Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 478 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I’m not talking about predictions when I mean publications, I meant press coverage, interviews. And I actually correctly predicted Fleabag to sweep last year (except Actress) based on that.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I was predicting a Youssef win even before the nominations, but at this point, Levy can easily take it. You could say he’s the least deserving of the four actors of the show, but he is a respected veteran and that could push him to the win, especially since Youssef couldn’t even get his show nominated.

On the other hand, a Youssef win is probably the closest thing to a non-white actor winner on the comedy side. Funny enough, Youssef and Ali without a Series nomination are more likely than Rae and Orji, due to the competition in their categories.

I’m cautious of not predicting a sweep for Schitt’s Creek, although it doesn’t seem very unlikely anymore.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

… he is also forming some kind of duo with O’Hara so I can see voters wanting to recognize both.

That duo was formed like 45 years ago 🙂 but yeah we can’t discount the idea that voters will want to reward not only their work on SC, but everything they’ve done together over that time.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was predicting a Youssef win even before the nominations, but at this point, Levy can easily take it. You could say he’s the least deserving of the four actors of the show, but he is a respected veteran and that could push him to the win, especially since Youssef couldn’t even get his show nominated. On the other hand, a Youssef win is probably the closest thing to a non-white actor winner on the comedy side. Funny enough, Youssef and Ali without a Series nomination are more likely than Rae and Orji, due to the competition in their categories.

That duo was formed like 45 years ago 🙂 but yeah we can’t discount the idea that voters will want to reward not only their work on SC, but everything they’ve done together over that time.

Yes they have been a duo for almost as long as they’ve lived but don’t forget that a lot of the voters in the TV Academy are quite young and might not have been alive long enough to have seen them together on SCTV and in non Schitt’s Creek things.

That being said I can easily see people in the TV Academy who are fans of O’Hara and Levy’s work checking them off in Lead Actor and Lead Actress together as a tribute (I say tribute because although O’Hara deserves to win this year I personally don’t feel Levy does).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Jesse
    Topics:

I think Eugene Levy has the weakest competition of the four SC actors, but had the least passion for his individual performance, so it’ll be very interesting to see if he does actually win. Whilst I wouldn’t vote for him over Danson or Youssef, I do think Season 6 was a very sentimental season for him, with his scenes in Moira Rosé, Rebound and The Pitch all being very emotional moments where he really does deliver. Him winning wouldn’t be that undeserving tbh.
    That being said, I’d rather have him and Dan win for Series, Ted Danson sin Lead Actor, Michael Schur wine Writing and Ramy Youssef win Directing (along with O’Hara, Murphy, Rudolph and Eddie Murphy).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I posted this on the Drama side and I thought it would be interesting to post here too :

Just for fun I had a look at how Series nominated in more than 3 acting categories since 2016 have done in terms of the wins :

• House of Cards (2016) – Nominated for 8 acting Emmys in five different categories. Won 0.
    • Veep (2016) – Nominated for 5 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 1 (Actress – Julia Louis-Dreyfus).
    • Saturday Night Live (2017) – Nominated for 9 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 4 (S. Actor – Alec Baldwin, S. Actress – Kate McKinnon, G. Actor – Dave Chapelle, G. Actress – Melissa McCarthy)
    • This is Us (2017) – Nominated for 7 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 2 (Lead Actor – Sterling K. Brown, G. Actor – Gerald McRaney)
    • Veep (2017) – Nominated for 5 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 1 (Actress – Julia Louis-Dreyfus).
    • Westworld (2017) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 0.
    • Atlanta (2018) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 1 (G. Actor – Katt Williams)
    • The Crown (2018) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 1 (Actress – Claire Foy).
    • The Handmaid’s Tale (2018) – Nominated for 8 acting Emmys in five different categories. Won 1 (G. Actress – Samira Wiley)
    • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (2018) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 2 (Actress – Rachel Brosnahan, S. Actress – Alex Borstein).
    • Saturday Night Live (2018) – Nominated for 9 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 1 (G. Actress – Tiffany Haddish)
    • Westworld (2018) – Nominated for 5 acting Emmys in four different categories. Won 1 (S. Actress – Thandie Newton)
    • Better Call Saul (2019) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys for four different categories. Won 0.
    • Game of Thrones (2019) – Nominated for 10 acting Emmys for five different categories. Won 1 (S. Actor – Peter Dinklage)
    • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (2019) – Nominated for 7 acting Emmys for five different categories. Won 4 (S. Actor – Tony Shalhoub, S. Actress – Alex Borstein, G. Actor – Luke Kirby, G. Actress – Jane Lynch)
    • This is Us (2019) – Nominated for 7 acting Emmys for five different categories. Won 0.
    • Veep (2019) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys for four different categories. Won 0.
    • When They See Us (2019) – Nominated for 8 acting Emmys for four different categories. Won 1 (L. Actor – Jharrel Jerome)

And then the Comedy series this year nominated in 4+ acting categories :

• The Good Place (2020) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys for four different acting categories (Lead Actor, S. Actor, S. Actress and G. Actress).
    • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (2020) – Nominated for 7 acting Emmys for five different acting categories (Lead Actress, S. Actor, S. Actor, S. Actress, S. Actress, G. Actor and G. Actress).
    • Saturday Night Live (2020) – Nominated for 7 acting Emmys for four different acting categories (S. Actor, S. Actress, S. Actress, G. Actor, G. Actor, G. Actor, G. Actress, G. Actress).
    • Schitt’s Creek (2020) – Nominated for 4 acting Emmys for four different acting categories (Lead Actor, Lead Actress, S. Actor, S. Actress).

Things to note :

– No show in either Comedy or Drama has won more than 1 acting award without guest acting nominations. If Schitt’s Creek wins more than 1 acting award it will be making history under this system.

– The only two shows that have won more than 2 acting awards both won both of their guest acting and supporting acting nominations. This year The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Saturday Night Live are the only comedies. with nominations in both supporting categories and both guest categories.

– Just because a show gets nominated in four or more acting categories it doesn’t mean they are locked for an acting win (ask House of Cards or Westworld s2 for example).

– Apart from Saturday Night Live (which won both guest acting categories and was ineligible in the lead categories) no show has ever won all the acting categories they have been nominated in on the Comedy or Drama side and no show has won both of the Lead and both of the Supporting categories.

If history is anything to go by it almost seems virtually impossible for either The Good Place or Schitt’s Creek to win four acting categories this year considering how The Good Place missed in Guest Actor and Schitt’s Creek missed in Guest Actor (its snub in Guest Actress shouldn’t be held against its chances of winning four acting categories considering how there were no Guest Actresses on the ballot for the show). It also at first glance seems quite unlikely that Schitt’s Creek wins more than 1 acting award considering it got snubbed in guest acting.

That’s not to say The Good Place and Schitt’s Creek cannot defy the odds but by doing so it would be quite unprecedented considering how much acting support other shows this year have and quite historic under this current voting system. This also doesn’t mean Maisel and SNL are guaranteed acting awards as we’ve seen how shows with 7 acting nominations have been shut out in wins completely (*coughs* This is Us *coughs*) but if Maisel fails to win a single acting award this year it will also be making history under this system because as far as I’m award no show has gone from 2 never mind 3 or 4 acting wins to 0 since 2016.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Schitt’s Creek:
    1. Outstanding Comedy Series
    2. Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
    3. Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
    4. Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series
    5. Outstanding Contemporary Costumes

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel:
    1. Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
    2. Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
    3. Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
    4. Outstanding Period Costumes

Ramy:
    1. Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series
    2. Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist:
    1. Outstanding Choreography for Scripted Programming

The Ranch:
    1. Outstanding Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series

black-ish:
    1. Outstanding Contemporary Hairstyling

Will & Grace:
    1. Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series

What We Do in the Shadows:
    1. Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series

Ballers:
    1. Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Comedy Series or Variety Program

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Schitt’s Creek: 1. Outstanding Comedy Series 2. Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series 3. Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series 4. Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series 5. Outstanding Contemporary Costumes The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: 1. Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series 2. Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series 3. Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series 4. Outstanding Period Costumes Ramy: 1. Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series 2. Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist: 1. Outstanding Choreography for Scripted Programming The Ranch: 1. Outstanding Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series black-ish: 1. Outstanding Contemporary Hairstyling Will & Grace: 1. Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series What We Do in the Shadows: 1. Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series Ballers: 1. Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Comedy Series or Variety Program

This all looks reasonable! I remain convinced that Annie Murphy is taking the Supporting win though.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I’m very uncertain about Supporting Actress. Any of Borstein, Murphy or Orji winning would make sense to me so it’s tempting to default to the incumbent. For now I have Murphy though.

I’d be a bit surprised to see It’s Comedy or Cabbage lose Directing to something other than Happy Ending. Voters watch Maisel so the former is likely still ahead on merit.

As much as I’ve seen parallels made between Ramy and Atlanta, Miakhalifa.mov isn’t as showy as B.A.N. and wasn’t even submitted in Writing unlike the latter which was nominated. What makes it the obvious submission over the other episodes Youssef directed? The eye-catching name?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just as a warning for both on the Drama side and the Comedy side that since 2016 no show that has won 2 or more of the 6 acting awards the last time they were eligible has been shut out completely in wins. Whether you’re predicting them or not or like them or not it would be quite unprecedented for Maisel to go from 4 wins to 0 or The Handmaid’s Tale to go from 2 wins to 0.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

“Since 2016” doesn’t seem quite the same thing as “quite unprecedented,” to be fair.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well I’m basing it under the current voting system and it would be unprecedented under the current voting system (which was put in place in 2016).

Haven’t searched back further than to see the last time a show went from 2+ wins to 0.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

But I find that reasoning also faulty because voting patterns are different in the guest categories comparatively to ones at the main ceremony; the voters are lazier and I would say fairly obviously care less. I’m not gonna assume The Handmaids has to win an acting category when it is on such an obvious downward trajectory just because Jones got name checked last year (not saying Bledel and Whitford aren’t possible, just not predicting with that hoop jump reasoning). Maisel is obviously comparatively stronger, but I still think it losing it all isn’t out of the picture considering the regency of passion-based winners.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think you’re putting too much thinking into this idea that Maisel doesn’t have enough passion to do well in wins. I mean I’m not saying it’s winning Comedy series but let’s not forget that it literally won 8 Emmys (this time without winning Series) for the second time in a row just last year and again came second in nominations overall.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Angels in America record is that they won all the 7 main Emmys: series, actress, actor, s. actress, s. actor, writing and directing.

Schitt’s is definitely in the mix for all of these but I can’t see it getting Directing over Maisel.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.