Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 478 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Ramy feels sketchy to me largely because it does not seem like anybody properly likes it. It is not like Atlanta where people hail it as the best show. This is really demonstrated by how Ramy himself has been consistently nominated without his show (Globes, Critics, TCA, Emmys); seems like an A for effort. Personally, I do not understand this, as I recently binged all of post-pilot Ramy. The second season was extraordinary. I suppose that it reinforces how out of step I am with the academy in comedy this year, with Dave and GLOW being my other favourites. Maybe I am out of step with everybody, as I am reminded of how everyone downplayed Sterling K. Brown in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel—he is my favourite nominee in his category!

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

The writers branch don’t vote on the acting categories though…

Never said it did, it just doesn’t seem strong enough/no buzz to win

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I recently binged all of post-pilot Ramy. The second season was extraordinary.

You may have seen my far too long post on the previous page about Ramy S2 – were we watching the same show? What did you think was extraordinary about it?

Separately, I just watched the Will & Grace ‘We Love Lucy’ episode. I haven’t watched the show in years, and while the multicam and audience/laugh track were grating, boy was it a funny episode! I had a proper cackle. With the exception of What We Do in the Shadows and small parts of Schitt’s (limited to Moira and Alexis every now and then), not one of the nominated comedy series has made me actually laugh.

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I feel like Supporting Actor is ripe for a shake-up, but I’m having a hard time pinning down a winner.

The category has 5/8 black nominees, all of whom are somewhat noteworthy in various ways. We also saw a general uptick in the total number of black nominees, and I have to think that will translate into a few more black winners. As much as I love Levy here, having a white guy win this category may not look great. And awarding Shalhoub, who has won this category twice for his current role already, seems a bit…eh.

Of the remaining nominees, no one seems all that far ahead of the others. Ali gives a great performance, and I currently have him winning. But his role is hardly comedic. Brown’s role is pretty limited, and I have a hard time seeing people vote for him over Shalhoub for the same show. Braugher is a great actor, but he’s the sole B99 acting nominee (I think?), so he doesn’t have the show support to help him win. Harper does have more support from The Good Place, although I don’t see voters picking him over people with more name recognition like Ali or even Braugher. Thompson deserves credit for sticking it out on SNL for so long, but I don’t remember him having any particularly noteworthy sketches or characters this year.

Not sure what to think. My gut says it’ll probably be Shalhoub again because voters are kind of lazy/probably can’t decide between some of the other nominees.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Arkin. Oops! I think he is pretty much a non-factor here, despite Kominsky’s series nom and Arkin’s SAG nom. The buzz is just not there.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Broken record time; nomination = win. Harper put forth his best work in the Good Place’s final season, but any category that has Shalhoub in it…shit; dude could submit a test pattern and still win. The easiest category to call.

Me realising this is Guest2018 posting under a new account :

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Yay Guest2018 is back

Can’t wait to use this on him on sunday:

shut up

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m torn. Annie Murphy, Yvonne Orji or Alex Borstein?

Would be funny if after being blocked from doing a three peat at the Gold Derby awards if D’Arcy Carden won the Emmy.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I feel like Supporting Actor is ripe for a shake-up, but I’m having a hard time pinning down a winner.

The category has 5/8 black nominees, all of whom are somewhat noteworthy in various ways. We also saw a general uptick in the total number of black nominees, and I have to think that will translate into a few more black winners. As much as I love Levy here, having a white guy win this category may not look great. And awarding Shalhoub, who has won this category twice for his current role already, seems a bit…eh.

Of the remaining nominees, no one seems all that far ahead of the others. Ali gives a great performance, and I currently have him winning. But his role is hardly comedic. Brown’s role is pretty limited, and I have a hard time seeing people vote for him over Shalhoub for the same show. Braugher is a great actor, but he’s the sole B99 acting nominee (I think?), so he doesn’t have the show support to help him win. Harper does have more support from The Good Place, although I don’t see voters picking him over people with more name recognition like Ali or even Braugher. Thompson deserves credit for sticking it out on SNL for so long, but I don’t remember him having any particularly noteworthy sketches or characters this year.

Not sure what to think. My gut says it’ll probably be Shalhoub again because voters are kind of lazy/probably can’t decide between some of the other nominees.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Arkin. Oops! I think he is pretty much a non-factor here, despite Kominsky’s series nom and Arkin’s SAG nom. The buzz is just not there.

Supporting actor comedy is a tricky one. From what I’ve seen in the two nights of CE Emmys, it’s been business as usual, meaning many repeat winners and lack of POC winners. Hopefully the trend changes moving forward, but it’ll be a bad look on the Academy if the record POC nominees were just lip-service, and for the winners, it’s back to the boring, old white winners. The conflict for me is, at least here, Daniel Levy is so far beyond his competition that I think he’ll easily win this. I’d fully understand the criticism of five black men losing in this god-awful 2020 (and the first time the category has been predominately POC), but should Levy’s great work bear the brunt of that? Hard to say. I’m predicting him regardless and will cheer loudly if/when he wins the Emmy.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Levy deserves multiple Emmys for his work on “Schitt’s Creek,” which was his baby to begin with. It’ll be very satisfying to see his work acknowledged on Sunday.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Sure, it won’t be in acting though.

I just changed my prediction to Levy over Shalhoub.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Before the nominations came out, I was worried Murphy could end up being the only snubbed actor from the show and now I’m doubting she might be the only one not winning an Emmy.

I was also certain Youssef is winning, but now I’m not confident at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.