Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 478 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I keep going back and forth on Ramy and Youssef (the actor).

The show itself is pretty good, although I do agree that the writing for the women leaves something to be desired. The writing gives me a lot of “dude bro” energy.

The thing about Youssef in Lead Actor is that I think  some of the show’s best episodes are the ones where his character isn’t even featured. (Oops!) Last season’s “Strawberries” and this season’s “Uncle Nassem” were standouts to me, and Youssef wasn’t onscreen in either. In fact, there are several episodes in the latter half of season two where his character is absent or doesn’t have a big presence.

His character is also just plainly unlikable. I don’t think that really hurts his chances because everyone on Succession, for instance, is unlikable. But Youssef’s character isn’t even the type that you “love to hate.” He’s just frustrating to watch.

I think Youssef’s biggest strength in the Lead Actor race is his status as creator/the face of the show. The Emmys like multi-hyphenates, and he certainly fits that bill. But…his show was not nominated for Outstanding Comedy, so I don’t know how much his status as a creator matters here. (And Eugene Levy is also a co-creator for his show — a show that was nominated for Outstanding Comedy).

For all I know, Ted Danson will walk away with it on Sunday (which I’d be okay with, too).

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

I just changed my prediction to Levy over Shalhoub.

Good. I think Schitt’s is gonna sweep except for maybe Murphy.

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

Do people who predict Eugene Levy will win think so because voters liked his performance itself in Schitt’s Creek or because voters see him as a legend who needs to win? I’m just wondering how much sentiment typically plays a part at the Emmy’s (I’m hearing that apparently the Emmy’s are really not that sentimental unlike the Oscars?).

It’s also interesting to me because Eugene Levy and Ted Danson sorta both have the “legendary veteran” reasoning for their possible win in the category, and I’m not sure that it’s a good thing they share the same reason since voters could then go either way…

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

A reminder that while Dan Levy is white and it will be disappointing if all the winners end up being white people, he is a gay man serving as show runner on a show that has been praised across the board for it’s presentation of pansexuality and how it handles Patrick and David’s relationship – him winning would still be a great moment for diversity and representation.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah I’ve switched to Levy. Whilst it’s no secret I prefer Shalhoub there’s no denying Levy has great buzz and despite having less individual buzz than PWB could end up doing what she did and win for Acting, Writing and Series.

I mean I might kick myself if Shalhoub wins considering how I was so confident in him winning for so long but that’s how I’m feeling going into the main ceremony.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I think Eugene Levy has a few other factors going for him besides being a “legend.”

• He’s a Lead Actor on a show with 15 noms. The only comedy with more noms is TMM, which has no Lead Actor. So, he could ride the wave of popularity and win.
    • His character, and career as a whole, is closely tied to Catherine O’Hara. O’Hara seems to be the frontrunner in her category, and if voters like her, they may check off Levy too.
    • His character isn’t as flashy as the others nominated from SC, but he does give a wonderful, grounded performance. One could argue that his character was vital in holding the whole show together and preventing it from going off the rails.
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

It’s also interesting to me because Eugene Levy and Ted Danson sorta both have the “legendary veteran” reasoning for their possible win in the category, and I’m not sure that it’s a good thing they share the same reason since voters could then go either way…

Danson holds the all-time record for nominations in this category and has won three times. He’s definitely not to be counted out.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have a feeling if there are signs that Maisel and Schitt’s are under-performing  (I.e. Schitt’s only winning Casting, Maisel being shut out at the Emmys) that we’ll get a surprise winner at the Emmys.

I actually won’t be surprised if either McKinnon or Strong win. I mean it may seem like a stretch now but SNL did perform quite well yesterday at the creative arts.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I have a feeling if there are signs that Maisel and Schitt’s are under-performing (I.e. Schitt’s only winning Casting, Maisel being shut out at the Emmys) that we’ll get a surprise winner at the Emmys. I actually won’t be surprised if either McKinnon or Strong win. I mean it may seem like a stretch now but SNL did perform quite well yesterday at the creative arts.

But there’s no crossover of voters between Creative Arts and categories that aren’t Series, other than Guest acting categories. SNL’s wins last night were voted on by an entirely different set of people than are voting for the acting races so aren’t an indicator of anything acting related.

So while it could be argued that Creative Arts wins support an eventual Series win because those voters are likely to transfer their votes to the Series category, Schitt’s and Maisel have more CA noms than their competitors so realistically they have the most cross-branch support.

We won’t know which has the best shot until acting, writing and directing are handed out.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah I know and I wasn’t saying they were voted on by actors (the creative arts). Although worth baring in mind how actors vote on the Variety Sketch races so if A Black Lady Sketch Show couldn’t beat SNL when its weaker there than in G. Actress then I don’t see Bassett beating Rudolph.

What I was saying is that for me if Schitt’s and Maisel don’t do well at the creative arts it’s a sign that they may not have enough momentum or buzz to go overboard in wins. Whilst she is the most deserving out of all the Schitt’s cast members to me Annie Murphy winning would mean the show wins all its acting awards.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Levy has never been win worthy on the show and hence he isn’t winning. If anyone’s bound to upset Shalhoub it’ll be Ali.

I’m watching season 1 of Schitt’s Creek so far and I reckon Dan Levy is definitely the standout so far. Will be interested to see if that changes over the course of the subsequent seasons, particularly the season relevant to this years Emmys

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think Eugene Levy has a few other factors going for him besides being a “legend.”

• He’s a Lead Actor on a show with 15 noms. The only comedy with more noms is TMM, which has no Lead Actor. So, he could ride the wave of popularity and win.
    • His character, and career as a whole, is closely tied to Catherine O’Hara. O’Hara seems to be the frontrunner in her category, and if voters like her, they may check off Levy too.
    • His character isn’t as flashy as the others nominated from SC, but he does give a wonderful, grounded performance. One could argue that his character was vital in holding the whole show together and preventing it from going off the rails.

For what it’s worth, Eugene / Johnny also got the last line of the series finale.

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

Wait. I just realized that Shalhoub has only won once for TMM? For some reason, I thought he won in 2018, but that year it went to Henry Winkler for Barry.

That makes me wonder if he won last year partially as a result of vote splitting between the Barry actors.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It definitely feels like Tony Shalhoub has been winning forever, which is a big part of why I switched to Dan Levy.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Shalhboub feels like he’s been winning for so long because of his SAG wins. Also, he definitely benefitted from the Barry vote split last year. All three of those actors were win worthy, and there wasn’t a clear favorite, so it was obvious that they screwed each other out of the win. With them out of the picture, and Tony’s other competitors being one person who’s already won for his role twice and in a show with reduced support that year, and the other being in a series that had a noticeable lack of passion, it was obvious that the acclaimed SAG winner in a major series was gonna win.

I still think he’ll win this year. The industry has clearly responded very positively to his work, and I don’t think Dan Levy can pull a PWB.

Let’s Go Bucks

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.