Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 456 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
17 hours ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Topics:

It definitely feels like Tony Shalhoub has been winning forever, which is a big part of why I switched to Dan Levy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Shalhboub feels like he’s been winning for so long because of his SAG wins. Also, he definitely benefitted from the Barry vote split last year. All three of those actors were win worthy, and there wasn’t a clear favorite, so it was obvious that they screwed each other out of the win. With them out of the picture, and Tony’s other competitors being one person who’s already won for his role twice and in a show with reduced support that year, and the other being in a series that had a noticeable lack of passion, it was obvious that the acclaimed SAG winner in a major series was gonna win.

I still think he’ll win this year. The industry has clearly responded very positively to his work, and I don’t think Dan Levy can pull a PWB.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Shalhboub feels like he’s been winning for so long because of his SAG wins.

Even making the speech for the ensemble!  (Plus he was on stage with a trophy so often for Monk.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think if Shalhoub wins there’s no way Borstein loses either. I’d argue despite her having won more it does feel like he’s been winning forever à la JLD (which it doesn’t feel as much for Borstein IMO) even though he’s only won two major awards for this role and both of them once.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I agree that it feels like Borstein has comparatively not been winning forever, which is ironic, given that she has won three Emmys and two Critics’ Choice Awards in the last two years, opposite a single Emmy for Shalhoub.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I think if Shalhoub wins there’s no way Borstein loses either. I’d argue despite her having won more it does feel like he’s been winning forever à la JLD (which it doesn’t feel as much for Borstein IMO) even though he’s only won two major awards for this role and both of them once.

Twice actually, he repeated at SAG. To me, that SAG repeat is too much for me to not predict him, even though I still Levy is a strong contender. His first SAG win could be written off as him benefitting from vote splitting, but the fact that he beat Bill Hader again the next year when Winkler wasn’t there makes me think that actors just love him. Beating Andrew Scott also indicated that he would’ve won last year even if Scott had been nominated.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Twice actually, he repeated at SAG. To me, that SAG repeat is too much for me to not predict him, even though I still Levy is a strong contender. His first SAG win could be written off as him benefitting from vote splitting, but the fact that he beat Bill Hader again the next year when Winkler wasn’t there makes me think that actors just love him. Beating Andrew Scott also indicated that he would’ve won last year even if Scott had been nominated.

This is what I was originally thinking but we’ll have to see. Don’t get me wrong Shalhoub deserves it the most in this category but I have a feeling despite a TCA individual performer snub he’s winning on individual buzz alone. I mean not like it matters but I find it interesting (I find this interesting with Sarah Snook as well) that he’s followed by the biggest stars on the planet (i.e. Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman). That would suggest to me that he has a lot of buzz in the industry right now.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

If Shalhoub wins for the shouty, stereotypical, lazy Jewish trope he created, I will be gutted.

He definitely benefitted from the Winkler/Carrigan/Root split last year.

William Jackson Harper or Dan Levy are far more deserving, gave better acting performances and have created fresh characters instead of resorting to lazy and actually quite offensive characterisation. Shalhoub is like nails ona blackboard to me. As a Jew, I like MMM a lot, but it’s really borderline on the appropriation and stereotyping.  (And no Sherman-Paladino is not Jewish)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

I’m predicting McKinnon to win. I feel like she’ll get some credit from voters for the SNL from home thing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Danson holds the all-time record for nominations in this category and has won three times. He’s definitely not to be counted out.

Ted Danson won 2 Emmys for Cheers – 1990 and 1993

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I’d love a Danson win. He gave the best comedic lead performance plus all the ancillary stuff people care about in the narrative side of things.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Will probably be regretting this decision this weekend, but there’s one NGNG contender I’ll be predicting until the bitter end…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nobody vertical gives them a chance to win Comedy Series, and they won’t. But a website 8,000 miles west of L.A. thinks Maisel and Schitt’s will vote-split. From The Indian Express: 2020 Emmy prediction: The Good Place will take home the Best Comedy award: https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/television/2020-emmy-predictions-the-good-place-best-comedy-award-6595283

Maisel and Schitt’s vote splitting for the Series win?

I’m sorry I have to laugh. If anything Schitt’s and TGP will vote split because of how their similar in fanbase and even then two different shows don’t vote split with each other.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Carlo
    Topics:

I read everywhere Eugene Levy and O’Hara will win because they are comedy legends and This Is their last chance.

My problem is that This Is not a Life achievement award but they should win based on Schitt’s Creek season 6 work. And I found Dan Levy and Annie Murphy the season standouts, not their “parents”.

I just watched O’Hara submission and Is really a terrible pick.

Comedy actor is so weak This year that I’m ok with Levy winning, but comedy actress Is not. I’m not afraid to say that based on this season work Applegate,Brosnaham and Rae would Be more deserving than O’Hara.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

After hemming and hawing yesterday about Supporting Actor, I’ve switched from Ali to Shalhoub. The Emmys love repeat winners, and maybe with the exception of Levy, I can see voters having a difficult time picking between the other nominees and defaulting to Shalhoub. I want Levy to win, but I feel like I’ll be thinking “of course he won” when Shalhoub is announced on Sunday.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 456 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.