Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 478 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I’m guessing you think this article by Riley Chow is ridiculous then too?

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/ozark-succession-drama-series-emmy/

I know you are a massive fan of the show and are rooting for a Schitt’s Creek sweep and no one is saying that it’s impossible for it win because it missed out on a cinematography nomination when practically every other Comedy Series winner apart from Modern Family in 2010 got a nomination in this category doesn’t help it. Especially when the cinematographers would rather make Emmy history with Insecure than nominate it. As Riley said in his article about Ozark vs Succession it’s concerning not correlative. Especially when cinematography is such a key bellwether at the Emmys.

Yes I do think it’s ridiculous, just because a show missed on a cinematography nomination, I really don’t see why that would stop its chances of winning series. And I definately don’t think Schitts is gonna sweep. I think Series, 2 (possibly 3 at a push) acting wins, then writing.

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I don’t think voters have seen the final season of Schitt’s (at least the acting branch) and are judging based on the seasons of Netflix which I think helps E. Levy and doesn’t do much help to Murphy. I mean if voters nominated Fiona Shaw for basically cameoing for five seconds in Guest Actress in Fleabag or Rufus Sewell for his small role in Maisel then there is no reason for actors to have not voted for Emmy darling Victor Garber in Guest Actor (no matter how small his role is) other than the fact they are on the wrong season.

Victor Garber may have been an Emmy darling once but his most recent nomination was in 2005. So appearing in one episode of Schitts Creek isn’t by any stretch an automatic nom and him missing doesn’t mean the voters haven’t seen it.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I’m guessing you think this article by Riley Chow is ridiculous then too? https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/ozark-succession-drama-series-emmy/ I know you are a massive fan of the show and are rooting for a Schitt’s Creek sweep and no one is saying that it’s impossible for it win because it missed out on a cinematography nomination when practically every other Comedy Series winner apart from Modern Family in 2010 got a nomination in this category doesn’t help it. Especially when cinematography is such a key bellwether at the Emmys.

Insecure got a Cinematography nom and Schitts didn’t but it missed both Writing and Directing which are way more significant. If it had missed just one then sure comparing it to Schitts missing cinematography makes sense, but it missed both. It’s an outlier for Series for sure.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes I do think it’s ridiculous, just because a show missed on a cinematography nomination, I really don’t see why that would stop its chances of winning series. And I definately don’t think Schitts is gonna sweep. I think Series, 2 (possibly 3 at a push) acting wins, then writing.

Oh no my comment about that Schitt’s sweep was meant to be a compliment. I wasn’t saying you think it’s going to sweep.

I don’t know if Schitt’s missing out on a cinematography nomination is that ridiculous. As mentioned it is a bellwether category (I mean only Modern Family in 2010 has missed out on a nomination there in terms of Series winners) and it was on the second page of the ballot for voters in that branch.

https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/ballots/cinematography-2020-v1.pdf

I mean like I said Schitt’s Creek‘s lack of a cinematography nomination doesn’t mean it won’t win Series but it is concerning in my opinion. Like with how Maisel missing out in Writing is concerning in my opinion (funnily enough the last seasons of a show to win Series without a cinematography nomination and/or a Writing nomination were two different seasons of Modern Family so it will be fun to see which record is broken this year).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Victor Garber may have been an Emmy darling once but his most recent nomination was in 2005. So appearing in one episode of Schitts Creek isn’t by any stretch an automatic nom and him missing doesn’t mean the voters haven’t seen it.

Especially since Milligan was a series regular eligible for guest this year. He was probably closer to the nod (and definitely more worthy).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Insecure got a Cinematography nom and Schitts didn’t but it missed both Writing and Directing which are way more significant. If it had missed just one then sure comparing it to Schitts missing cinematography makes sense, but it missed both. It’s an outlier for Series for sure.

*two cinematography nominations

As I said it could very well have missed both due to its mess in submissions. And as I said before I’m not predicting Insecure and think Schitt’s is ahead of it but to say there is no way Insecure can win like some users have suggested is premature.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Especially since Milligan was a series regular eligible for guest this year. He was probably closer to the nod (and definitely more worthy).

Yup. But even he was never that likely and when we look at the nominees that ended up in that category I’m not surprised he didn’t make it.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

*two cinematography nominations As I said it could very well have missed both due to its mess in submissions. And as I said before I’m not predicting Insecure and think Schitt’s is ahead of it but to say there is no way Insecure can win like some users have suggested is premature.

OK so now you’re going with pedantry. Cool. Does it getting two cinematography noms give it a better chance after missing writing and directing? If not it isn’t relevant and you’re just picking for the sake of it.

My point remains the same.

And I’m not saying you’re predicting it or that it can’t win. But we can’t pretend it’s anything other than a long shot.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah I know I’m not saying he automatically needed to get a nom or that Schitt’s will lose Series as a result of his lack of a nom but when Fiona Shaw could get a nomination for arguably a smaller role last year for Fleabag and Schitt’s Creek could only manage to get its four core cast members in it does to me beg the question whether the acting branch has seen the final season yet. Because there is no evidence they have or haven’t seen the final season.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

OK so now you’re going with pedantry. Cool. Does it getting two cinematography noms give it a better chance after missing writing and directing? If not it isn’t relevant and you’re just picking for the sake of it. My point remains the same.

No I was just pointing out it got 2 cinematography nominations. Wasn’t saying that automatically gives it an advantage in Series as evidenced by what I have said below (which I am not going to say again because people really need to learn to read people’s entire posts properly and not picking and choosing to attack or to fit their own narrative of who they want to win like the UK government does with its attitude to the coronavirus):

*two cinematography nominations As I said it could very well have missed both due to its mess in submissions. And as I said before I’m not predicting Insecure and think Schitt’s is ahead of it but to say there is no way Insecure can win like some users have suggested is premature.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yup. But even he was never that likely and when we look at the nominees that ended up in that category I’m not surprised he didn’t make it.

Why not? I mean he missed out to Dev Patel of all of people.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Since when Victor Garber was a predicted nominee lmao.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

But you yourself are picking and choosing. And that isn’t what I was doing. I said that the fact it got two cinematography noms wasn’t relevant to our discussion so you pointing out my error served no purpose other than for you to pick at me. Which you came hard for me for last week after I was combative in a response to you.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Why not? I mean he missed out to Dev Patel of all of people.

Last week you were talking about how Dev Patel is an acclaimed acting veteran. Which is it?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Last week you were talking about how Dev Patel is an acclaimed acting veteran. Which is it?

Well I mean sure he has a name but as we keep mentioning Schitt’s is the series frontrunner and you think it’s an acting player with your prediction of two wins for it in acting. Modern Love is a show that not many people watched and Patel is the sole nominee for it. Last year we saw how people like Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf missed out on easy name-checks because the acting branch voted for people like Fiona Shaw or how people like Danny Devito, RuPaul and Lin Manuel-Miranda missed out in favour of Luke Kirby. Milligan had good odds of getting in so let’s not act like he was some sort of a longshot.

But you yourself are picking and choosing. And that isn’t what I was doing. I said that the fact it got two cinematography noms wasn’t relevant to our discussion so you pointing out my error served no purpose other than for you to pick at me. Which you came hard for me for last week after I was combative in a response to you.

I’m not even going to bother responding to this. Also what discussion from last week are you talking about and how is it entirely relevant here. If you would like to have a civil discussion with me so we can both resolve a potential miscommunication without clogging up the threads (I admit I am part of the blame for some of the clogging) then please do so. Otherwise don’t bring it up in the threads.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.