Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 478 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Don’t know about others, but more people were actually predicting it to win on the Creative Arts thread than black-ish, even if by a slight margin.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Schitt’s has been up for three awards so far – Sound Mixing, Casting, and Hairstyling.

Casting was the most important of the three, which it won.

It was never winning Sound Mixing against The Mandalorian under ANY circumstance.

While it could have won hairstyling in a major sweep, just like Succession could have won in Production Design, both of them losing those awards does not indicate any red flags IMO because those were never their strengths to begin with. Succession lost to three time incumbent winner THT, and Schitt’s Creek lost to an episode literally called Hair Day.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

I can barely sleep at night because I’m so worried for Schitt’s Creek after it lost Hairstyling.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not using Schitt‘s loss in hairstyling as argument that it might be in danger on Sunday night. 💀

No one is saying it’s an argument of why it will be in danger in Series on Saturday. It’s locked for Series.

What I am saying is that if Casting is its only win it could very well just be like Veep season 4 and win Series, two acting awards and writing. Although I am considering it for Directing.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

schitts creek is literally a contemporary show, it losing sound mixing and hairstyling is not any sign of it being in danger of a sweep… that’s like saying succession is cause it lost production design. SC won casting, which is all it needed so far.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

i think sc is safe in series even if it loses every tech but i think it could mean it’s in trouble for something like directing. It losing every tech would mean branches aren’t willing to just blind vote for it just because it’s the buzziest comedy nominated, and since every one agrees it’s not deserving of a directing win, it could lose there if voters don’t just name check it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

i think sc is safe in series

Yeah. I mean people are acting if people are doubting it’s winning. I think we can all agree it’s a lock in Series. Maybe not as much as Succession but still a lock.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

i think sc is safe in series even if it loses every tech but i think it could mean it’s in trouble for something like directing. It losing every tech would mean branches aren’t willing to just blind vote for it just because it’s the buzziest comedy nominated, and since every one agrees it’s not deserving of a directing win, it could lose there if voters don’t just name check it.

I don’t think ‘everyone agrees it’s not deserving of a directing win’ is remotely a true statement even on GD. There are plenty of people who think it’s winning that.

It’s likely going to be Maisel but Schitt’s is Top 2. And the two shows have such different directorial approaches that it could go either way depending on what the branch feels like rewarding.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I don’t think ‘everyone agrees it’s not deserving of a directing win’ is remotely a true statement even on GD. There are plenty of people who think it’s winning that. It’s likely going to be Maisel but Schitt’s is Top 2. And the two shows have such different directorial approaches that it could go either way depending on what the branch feels like rewarding.

This supports the other side. There are plenty of people who think it will win, but very few are saying they think it should win.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Posting this for each of Comedy, Drama and Limited Series nominees.

Comedy series nominee wins out of their nominations in categories presented so far (done by fraction of awards it has won out of those it was nominated for) :

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) – 2/5 awards
    Schitt’s Creek (PopTV) – 1/3 awards
    Insecure (HBO) – 0/3 awards
    What We Do in the Shadows (FX) – 0/3 awards
    Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) – 0/2 awards
    Dead to Me (Netflix) – 0/1 awards
    The Good Place (NBC) – 0/1 awards
    The Kominsky Method (Netflix) – 0/0 awards

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The outcome of directing will be quite telling for future years. If Schitt’s, which I have picked for many categories based on my passion, wins directing over Comedy or Cabbage, we ride at dawn.  But these are the guys who keep nominating Kominsky Method, so…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I honestly don’t understand how they nominated The Kominsky Method and not Ramy in Series.

Has anyone noticed how the nominees and winners for Drama and Comedy Series have been particularly white recently and how that hasn’t changed this year despite more calls for diversity whilst the acting and directing categories have been arguably more diverse with their winner choices? It’s partly why I’m predicting Ramy Yousseff even though Schitt’s is winning Series, Actress, Writing and probably S. Actor.

I find it coincidental (it means nothing for the race) that whatever wins Editing wins Writing and if the programme that wins Editing isn’t a writing nominee the writing winner has tended to be a show not nominated for Editing (i.e Masters of None in 2016). Obviously doesn’t have a baring on the Writing race but I found it fun.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

I have not seen season 2 of The Kominsky Method, but I was not impressed with season 1 and I was surprised that season 2 was nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Honestly find it ridiculous a groundbreaking sitcom about two old women exploring themes around fulfilment and death following a big change in their life at the start of the show is overlooked time and time again for this unfunny show about two old male actors making dick jokes.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.