Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 478 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
fefface
AayaanUpadhyaya
  • Profile picture
    Matt24
    Topics:

I gotta be honest, I just don’t get the Ramy predictions at all. I understand there was a hefty influx of POC nominees, but like, his series didn’t make an 8-show field and there’s two other POC nominees in his category. And if the acting branch really loved it, Hiam Abbass should have been able to get in, especially with Succcession love helping her. Meanwhile, this is their one shot to give Eugene Levy an acting Emmy and he’s in the Series winner.

Also, this obviously isn’t going to be Ramy’s last shot and when his show likely makes Series next season, he’ll have a better crack at it. The Ramy predictions reek of overthinking. Eugene likely wouldn’t be able to beat a Bill Hader per say, but there’s no Bill Hader here.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Yeah Ramy (show and actor) is a weird one. It’s just meh. It’s like everyone really wants it to be something better than it actually is, so they keep giving it gold stars for effort. It’s a big climb from playing the annoying tech sitting next to Rami Malek in the single shot episode in season 3 of Mr. Robot.

And Grace & Frankie is the absolute bomb diggity, SO much smarter, funnier, better written, better acted than KM could even dare to dream of. No hyperbole here I worshop Fonda and Tomlin. Season 1 of KM was torturous. I couldn’t deal with going back for season 2.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Even though the Globe isn’t the end all/be all, Ramy Youssef has won that, and he was also the only Comedy Actor nominee that was nominated at TCA. C’mon now. He’s more than a threat to win Comedy Actor. Besides, Eugene Levy has another chance to win an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

What We Do in the Shadows (FX) – 0/3 awards 

🙁

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I only made it through the pilot of The Kominsky Method. I understand how it could appeal to a certain Academy demographic, though, with Douglas, Arkin, and then Lore creating/producing.

I am surprised that Ramy missed series considering that it received three above the line noms (L. Actor, S. Actor, and Directing). Schitt’s Creek got into series last year with two above the line noms (L. Actor, L. Actress) and one below the line (Outstanding Costumes). And last year was arguably a more competitive comedy field. Maybe Ramy suffers from a slight visibility disadvantage being on Hulu?

Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

The series nominations were a little off, both Ramy (directing, actor and supporting actor) and The Great (writing and directing) not being able to get in over Kominsky (actor and supporting actor name checks) and Curb your Entusiasm (nothing else above the line) just don’t add up.

The visibility seems to have hurt The Great, since it is the first season, realeased two months before nominations, and they got in both writing and directing for the pilot and didn’t have any acting support (Holt couldn’t get in supporting, in a field of eight, being a lead) even though it should be, at least, stronger than Curb.

Ramy lacked tech support, but being in it’s second season, after winning a golden globe and getting three above the line nominations, it should have got the series nod over Kominsky or Curb.

I’m just glad the writing and tech support were enough to get What we do in the Shadows in, since it should, at least, be dividing wins with Shitts, getting casting, writing and series, but we know it’s not happening.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Seehorn (gabspss)
    Topics:

Curb actually made sense after the nominations. They got in at casting for the first time after 12 years. And also for editing after being snubbed in 2018. The under the line nods made up for the lack of above the line nominations.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

SERIES: Schitt’s Creek (Spoiler: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel/Insecure)
    ACTRESS: Catherine O’Hara (Spoiler: Issa Rae)
    ACTOR: Ramy Youssef (Spoiler: Eugene Levy)
    S. ACTRESS: Alex Borstein (Spoiler: Yvonne Orji/Annie Murphy)
    S. ACTOR: Dan Levy (Spoiler: Mahershala Ali)
    WRITING: “Whenever You’re Ready” (Spoiler: Happy Ending)
    DIRECTING: “Happy Ending” (Spoiler: It’s Comedy or Cabbage)

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

I feel like Yvonne Orji has a good shot at winning. Fans of Insecure will want to award it somewhere but, as much as I love Issa Rae myself, I think that there is a sense of urgency to reward Catherine O’Hara for Moira and that legendary and iconic character as the show ends. So, if they want to reward Insecure somewhere, I think S. Actress and Yvonne Orji would be where they would turn to do so. (And she’s great, so that would be an exciting win too)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like Yvonne Orji has a good shot at winning. Fans of Insecure will want to award it somewhere but, as much as I love Issa Rae myself, I think that there is a sense of urgency to reward Catherine O’Hara for Moira and that legendary and iconic character as the show ends. So, if they want to reward Insecure somewhere, I think S. Actress and Yvonne Orji would be where they would turn to do so. (And she’s great, so that would be an exciting win too)

She also makes more sense at being a Merritt Wever style win here than either D’Arcy Carden or Annie Murphy.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I always kind of felt that Orji would need a Rae win as well (because Rae is a bigger name), but maybe not? Hmm. That is a reasonable argument for her winning Supporting.

My only other thought is that to overcome a perennial favorite like Borstein, your show probably needs a lot of passion. And if that’s the case, I think that favors Murphy.

Sigh. I think I’ll stick with Borstein.

EDIT: The fact that Clifford couldn’t win last year even with the Fleabag sweep also makes me wary of betting against Borstein.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah I’m sitcking with Borstein with Yvonne second and Annie third.

I have moved Tony down to third though (probably will regret tomorrow).

If I put a super bet on something does that increase my winnings nonetheless on here or only if the thing I’ve predicted to win has won? Sorry I don’t actually place money bets on things so idk :/

Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I still have Shalhoub winning, but the fact that he’s lost before (whereas Borstein hasn’t) shows that he’s not unbeatable.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Yay for Eddie Murphy and Maya Rudolph! Now let’s get that supporting actress promotion next year! (VOTE!)

Profile picture
    angel88401
    Topics:

EDIT: The fact that Clifford couldn’t win last year even with the Fleabag sweep also makes me wary of betting against Borstein.

Do people not think Clifford split votes with Olivia Colman? Colman is clearly beloved by the industry and her turn as the Godmother in Fleabag was great. Plus, Maisel feels clearly weaker now than it did last year, so even without Fleabag levels of strength, it can be beaten. I’m more wary that the guest acting winners felt like name-checks which would help Borstein who has won twice in a row. (Nothing against Borstein btw but I would love to see a new winner here)

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Comedy Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.